This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-17 air cleaner filter changing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-17 air cleaner filter changing
    Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:17pm
I'm a bit challenged on what should be something easy to do on the changing of the D-17 Series IV air cleaner filter. I hope someone can simply share their first hand experience. I removed the hood on the air cleaner side. I found the air cleaner with a "nob" that can apparently be loosened or tightened. Apparently it has not been changed in awhile. Anyway I loosened it. Should I remove it entirely? Risks with that? I also see this metal bar attached to the nob. It seems extremely solid. So should I "tap it" to loosen it or is to be removed during the changing? I don't have any directions on what I should be doing. Any first hand experiences would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links

Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 12:38pm
Just loosen the knurled knob (don't unscrew it off) and then the bar goes out on one side and then the other. I think the bar goes out one way as their may be a small tab that only allows it to go out one way (can't recall exactly). If the bar is locked into place, then sure, give it a tap. Maybe the knob is a bit rusty so hit it with some penetrating oil.
Dave (NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave (NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2019 at 6:25pm
was trying to get the filter out of my '17 gas this weekend.  the damn thing would not come out of the canister.  took the whole thing off the tractor.  went to the shop.  tried various methods.  no luck.  any ideas?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience. Mark Twain.
EPALLIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPALLIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2019 at 9:47pm
Just curious if you had any progress on your D-17 air filter? I ordered my new filter from AGCO. Next weekend, I plan to take Stan's advise and see how loosening the knob and removing the "bar" goes. Then I'll need to see if mine is stuck also. Hope this isn't a common issue....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic