This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Revival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:41am

Sponsored Links

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 7:52am
BTW, what is the motor oil of choice for this Geezerette?
Jk chalmers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:04am
Congrats man those back tires literally have no use on them. Like I said before give me a call if you want me to tell you all what I did with almost the exact same situation except I had to pay 800 which is still a steel
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:08am
Personally I just use a good 10 W 30. And I wouldn’t spend a Ton of money on the oil until after you fired up and see if those rings are stuck.. But it is a good idea to change the oil that way you lubricate the top of the engine.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:11am
If the engine is not stuck at all you should be able to move it by just using the fan belt. At least I could get it to move a touch anyways or put it in fourth gear and rocket lightly
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:21am
A steam Ginny would clean her up really well. You will be surprised how good the paint will look after its cleaned up since its been kept inside. How many hours are showing on the hour meter? Cleaning the grime off before digging into its issues makes it easier and cleaner to trouble shoot IMO. That is a great find, I couldn’t sleep at night due to the excitement of the project. Looking forward to reading your updates and seeing pictures of your progress.
Dads D-15 series II pulling the rake, new paint about 7 years ago. Has been a great tractor since new in 1968.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 8:49am
I’m a firm believer in Seafoam in the gas tank and the crankcase. Since it has set for years, I would do as others have said, pull the plugs and add some ATF or even better spray Kroil in each cylinder and let it set. My brother purchased a 190XT Diesel with a stuck engine. Pulled the head as we suspected a blown head gasket. Found cylinders 3-4 is where it was blown and filled with antifreeze in the dome of the pistons. Filled the cylinders with Kroil several times over a few hours. Pulled the starter and Placed a large screw driver on the flywheel and with very little force she broke free. After a new head gasket, fresh rebuild of the injection pump, she runs great. Kroil and Seafoam are both wonderful products. After you get it running, put Seafoam in the crankcase several times with fresh 10w-30 and filter. It will clean the rings and all components inside the engine. When you drain it you will be shocked at how dirty fresh oil becomes as it cleans the engine. Figure on at least 2 filters and fresh oil before it clears. Well worth the money as the engine will be clean as well as the rings, head, valves. She will run much better as the carbon build up will be gone. Has worked well for me on multiple engines over the years.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:26am
Modirt, congrats on your find you'll love the D-15. I see you've the mounting brackets for a cultivator and I believe the rod is part of the cultivator also. Have fun with the old girl.  
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:30am
I suspected the rod may have been for a cultivator. There is a forward projecting bracket mounted to the top of the left side 3 point link. We had something similar on a JD 620, which carried a front mounted cultivator. Except that one used two push/pull rods....one on each side, and they were more like 1.5" pipes. But if this one was used to lift in a pulling motion vs. a push, a single solid rod may have worked.

I was also wondering what those brackets would have been used for and a front mounted cultivator was the only thing I could think of.

My first "car".....was a JD B tractor. I got started on it when I was about 10 or 11. At the time, my interest was in the fact it had an engine and didn't need to be peddled like my bicycle did. It also had a 2 row cultivator and I tried to talk my dad into letting me put it on and use it. He refused, insisting that if I was interested in running a cultivator, I'd get more done with the 4 row, and the 620 had power steering and the B didn't. My guess now is he simply wanted to get out of all the work it would take to mount it up, knowing the glamor of that would wear off in about 10 minutes once I tried to steer the old B by hand. (Known of then as Armstrong Power Steering) Especially with the weight of the cultivator on it.

The D15 was probably big enough to have handled a 4 row cultivator too.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:34pm
Progress updates:

This is starting to remind me of my first date with a lewd woman. Curiosity running wild as to what I'm likely to discover next.

Hour meter is showing something like 5200 hours. No clue if the tach is working or original.

Oil plug is out. Black as midnight but at least all oil. No water.

1 cup ATF in each cylinder.

Plugs a bit black for my taste. Two blacker than the others.

With plugs out, AFT in, and my curiosity getting the better of me, I rocked her a bit in 4th gear and fan blade twitched about 1/4". That was good enough for today.

Air filter pulled and looked newer than new. Air breather cap and stack tube full to the gills with mud dauber nests. Shop vac to the rescue. (Secondary benefit to this is I'm on my way to gaining 1/2 acre of accretion dirt from all the mud dauber nests).

Battery pulled and first real clue as to how long she may have been sitting. Battery was marked Sep - 7. Too old to be 2017 and not old enough to be 1997, so that leaves 2007 - 2010 as to about when she was running last. So maybe 10 years vs. 15? Battery box has got the cancer, so has a little life left, but not much. I'd put a new on one if I could find one. Battery was much smaller than the box it was sitting on and in true "make due" fashion, was held down with a tarp strap.

Aft of the engine dip stick, found two more dip sticks. Both had clean....bordering on new.....oil in them, although the one under the seat was barely showing anything on the dip stick, and I remember there was some dark dirt below that area where she had been parked. May have a slow leak.

Gas tank smells as bad as you would expect it to from ancient gas, but no rust. Carb is froze up solid. Time for that to come off for a cleaning / rebuild / kit job. Right now, that is looking like my biggest obstacle to a running engine.

Too much fun!

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:37pm
The pistons have a bowl top. One cup of oil maybe doesn't quite fill the bowl, so you need another cup to flood the rings/sleeves.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:42pm
Forgot the pictures........sorry....

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:49pm
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

The pistons have a bowl top. One cup of oil maybe doesn't quite fill the bowl, so you need another cup to flood the rings/sleeves.

Will do. Good thing I bought 2 quarts!!!
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 3:51pm
Modirt, I think Matt Scott from Jordan make battery tray for  them but I could be wrong I know he made some hold down for them, his # is 612-508-4759.
 If you want to sell them cultivator brackets I may be interested in them or if you would like a cultivator for D-15 I would sell the one  I have because I don't have the brackets.

Edited by Kenny L. - 20 Jul 2018 at 3:53pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:28pm
Looks like you’re on the right track to have that running in absolute no time after we pulled mine out of the barn the starter was spinning slow so put A little oil in it as it was spinning doubled in speed then proceeded to do all the things you did except for transmission fluid in the cylinders new battery Fuel cleaned points and Fired right up now it’s my favorite tractor to hop on to do any little thing around shop!!
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 4:43pm
Added more ATF to the cylinders.......enough it ran out the plug hole of the aft one and I could hear it sloshing around in the others. Hopefully that should do it.

And while I understand what the purpose of the ATF oil is in there, I remain somewhat fuzzy on what becomes of it. On the other hand, the oil drips coming out the drain plug are now the color of the ATF, so given enough time, it may all seep past the rings and out the bottom?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 5:12pm
Yeah as long as Stuff Isnt locked up most of it will penetrate in between the cylinder wall the piston... Personally after you get a new battery I would leave the spark plugs off and blow most of that out of there as it seems your engine is free when you crank it over. Then proceed to put your plugs in them put fresh fuel in it and see if you have a running a tractor might smoke for a couple minutes. Before doing that I personally would have just seen if the engine would move in a gentle fashion but to each their own this is fun it’s like I’m reliving my D 15 barn find again!!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

I suspected the rod may have been for a cultivator. There is a forward projecting bracket mounted to the top of the left side 3 point link. We had something similar on a JD 620, which carried a front mounted cultivator. Except that one used two push/pull rods....one on each side, and they were more like 1.5" pipes. But if this one was used to lift in a pulling motion vs. a push, a single solid rod may have worked.

I was also wondering what those brackets would have been used for and a front mounted cultivator was the only thing I could think of.  You're right, one is a wing nut type gizmo, the other has a wedge, that goes up against the side of the cultivator unit.  Need a clearer view of the rod, to see if it goes with cults, or mower.  The way the front cults were raised, was a bracket, on the inside of the lift arms, went to a J-bolt, attached to a flat piece of iron, that connected to the cult gangs, and made them lift (IIRR!)

My first "car".....was a JD B tractor. I got started on it when I was about 10 or 11. At the time, my interest was in the fact it had an engine and didn't need to be peddled like my bicycle did. It also had a 2 row cultivator and I tried to talk my dad into letting me put it on and use it. He refused, insisting that if I was interested in running a cultivator, I'd get more done with the 4 row, and the 620 had power steering and the B didn't. My guess now is he simply wanted to get out of all the work it would take to mount it up, knowing the glamor of that would wear off in about 10 minutes once I tried to steer the old B by hand. (Known of then as Armstrong Power Steering) Especially with the weight of the cultivator on it.

The D15 was probably big enough to have handled a 4 row cultivator too.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:25pm
I think I'm OK on the rings and pistons. With all the oil in, I jogged the fan a bit and it moved about 1/2" and I could hear stuff sloshing around. Sounded wonderful.

But at the least, she is going to sit where she is until the carb is working.

Next big worries are the starter and generator. Fan belt looked OK.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:38pm
Luckily with the 12 V system the couple D series tractors I had brought back to life I haven’t had to mess with the generators they charged right away and you might get lucky with the starter!
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 7:49pm
Jeeeeeez! What a lucky dog! I dont even know you but I am happy for you!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:24pm
I’m happy for him to! So glad another great D-15 is saved from the scrap yard! Sounds positive so far. Hope your able to get some sleep, I feel your excitement.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 9:33pm
You need to get it turning over good without spark plugs to blow the oil out because you can't compress all the oil. Whatever is left in there thou will prevent a dry start and help the compression.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 10:39pm
You can use a shop vac to remove what oil is left in there.
Steve Zidlicky View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Zidlicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 11:25pm
just clean or replace points. set point gap at .22.  your old condenser will be better than a new one. clean contacts inside dist cap. no need to throw a bunch of parts at it. you can get carb kit and tune up at local parts store as needed.  you should put new plugs in and contrary to what most will say, I use champion plugs in allis with good results. use a J8c. they have changed the number but a J8 is the right heat range especially if it uses some oil.  I have a lot of seat time on a tractor just like yours.  looks like the ground cable will cause trouble too. the breather/dip stick under the seat is important to have enough oil in it.  send me a personal message if you like.  good luck and don't grind the gears. that is the death to those transmissions!
wekracer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wekracer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 6:35am
Those are sweet little tractors and highly collectible. We had one and traded it on an 8070. I hated to see it go but the only thing we used it for was pulling a trailer in the spring fixing fence.

Where in Mo are you. I’m northeast of Jefferson City.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 7:34am
He said Central MO, near Fulton earlier.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 7:37am
I'm located west of Millersburg, so not far.

BTW, I should also mention something a bit spooky. Two years ago, I was driving down the road and noticed a guy mowing his lawn area with a nice looking old AC tractor. I turned around, stopped in his drive and walked out to visit. A nice looking old D15 that was purring like a kitten. Something about his son in law or someone had bought it an an auction, and had brought it to him to use.

I noticed he kept it in an old barn and every time I drove by, I'd see the nose of it sticking out. Always thought it would be a nice unit to have, but never did or said anything more about it. About a month ago, I also noticed a new looking Kubota sticking out of another door of that barn, and I began to wonder what would become of the D15.

So fast forward a few days, the tractor I'm writing about showed up one evening across the road from my house.  Literally the next morning, the D15 I had been watching showed up on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. $3,000. And one like it on Craigslist about 50 miles away for $3,500. So those two became my benchmark for what I should be willing to spend on repairs on this one. Scary part is you don't know until you are into it. I think I'm going to get lucky and come in way under that, but until it's running and all is known, it is still a wild card.

But these are pretty rare tractors, and what are the odds that two of them would show up within a mile of each other? Neither owner knowing the other existed, and I found out about both of them within 12 hours of each other?

BTW, as of yesterday, the D15 that was for sale is still there. I've stopped by to look at it to see where some of the working parts are so I know where things are on the one I'm working on.

JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2018 at 7:48am
It IS worth $3000 if the tranny is good!!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
  Share Topic