This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Revival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 4:06pm
The pin needs to be longer. I would use a cylinder shaft rod, hard on outside with soft center core. You can weld a bolt to bushing to get it out with slap hammer. McMaster Carr has the shafting. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 4:54pm
Been following your post as I have a D 15 I'm working on . Wonder what kinda seat you got ? Mine is very sad . Glad you are making progress .
Jk chalmers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 5:06pm
As long as the metal is good You can get a pair of cushions from eBay for $88 can’t beat that searched everywhere...!!
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 6:22pm
Pan seat is gone . Previous owner put a ratty lawnmower seat on .
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 6:45pm
I believe the seat is just like this one, which includes new cushions installed on new metal backing plates. Price was a bit less as it came from A&I.

With a seat like that, better keep the tractor indoors. And keep the barn cats and coons off it too!

Edited by modirt - 10 Sep 2018 at 6:58pm
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

The pin needs to be longer. I would use a cylinder shaft rod, hard on outside with soft center core. You can weld a bolt to bushing to get it out with slap hammer. McMaster Carr has the shafting. HTH Tracy

Do you have a link to the exact shafting you describe? I've been to the MC site and a guy could get lost in there for days.

And there was a lot of discussion about making the pin longer than the original and replacement pin, as it needs to be longer to ride along the full length of the bushing. So if an alternative could be found, it would be welcome.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:39pm
Nice seat . Maybe one day . Gotta get my starter back from Steve and get my old tractor running again first . Doubt a cat or coon would wanna sit on this seat .
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by modirt modirt wrote:

Originally posted by Tracy Martin TN Tracy Martin TN wrote:

Do you have a link to the exact shafting you describe? I've been to the MC site and a guy could get lost in there for days.

And there was a lot of discussion about making the pin longer than the original and replacement pin, as it needs to be longer to ride along the full length of the bushing. So if an alternative could be found, it would be welcome.
I have fixed many of them. I made a fixture to align new pin and the pivot at rear of  axle support. I don't remember how much longer it can be. Best to have it in place, pulled tight against rear support radius rod. Measure gap from front of axle tube to front pivot support. Then measure depth of hole in support, add the two together, subtract 1/8 for clearance. This dimension can be standing proud in front of tube. Total length would be this proud dimension plus width of tube.  HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 4:39am
MoDirt, I've enjoyed following your post - thanks. Has your harvest taken over? Any further progress on your D15?
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 6:46am
I was by the shop yesterday.

Rear wheels are back on, engine is back in (with new clutch and ring gear), rebuilt starter is back on, etc.

Still waiting on welder and front axle to finish putting it back together.

Since tractor has been sitting, at least a quart of oil has leaked out of the rear axle. That is in addition to a small leak I found while she was sitting in my barn. Once she is back together and running, we will need to find the source of both leaks, but also to find out if the transmission is good, or if she jumps out of gear.

Stay tuned!
JayIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 12:54pm
Ok!!!!
sometimes I walk out to my shop and look around and think "Who's the idiot that owns this place?"
1852 Moore Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1852 Moore Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2018 at 3:30pm
Was able to stop in last week and check your project out. A lot of work going on with that old girl...It will come together pretty quick.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 12:34pm
As promised.........an update.

Thanks for forum member AJ, who agreed to part with a good usable front end (in exchange for some paper with pictures of dead presidents printed on it), she is back on all 4's again. Back from the dead!

Even more better, not only did she start,  this time she moved! Amazing what a working clutch will do.

There are still issues to resolve, but we were able to take her a lap around the parking lot. Everything we tried was working, and on the brief run I had, she did not jump out of gear. 

We are getting there!

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 12:39pm
PS: That was likely the first time she moved under her own power in about 20 years. There is video..............not that I would tease you or anything like that.
1852 Moore Farm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1852 Moore Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 2:23pm
Nice.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 2:45pm
Modirt is doin the Treasure of the Sierra Madre Jig   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9E-01dK5zQ  Thumbs Up
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2018 at 4:56pm
Close to it, and as the bills start coming due, the part about being pretty dang stupid ain't far off either!  LOL

On the plus side, with all the major stuff out of the way, she should be good for another turn around the track. She does run pretty sweet.

(Nothing like the smell of new muffler paint burning off in the morning).

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:15pm
So chasing down the source of the rear oil leak.  A few months back when I was topping up fluids, a leak popped up under the back axle. So I found and tightened one of the large bolts that holds the hitch assembly on. The bolt head can be seen in this photo, above and left of the drawbar pin and directly above the sway chain bolt......its the gray bolt head with oil dripping from it..........

So it has started leaking again.

The question I have for informed D15 gurus, is there an oil reservoir above the threads of this bolt that is the source of the oil leak.......OR......is that supposed to be a dry hole that is not dry....... instead, it has oil leaking into it from some hidden source, that oil  then seeping past the threads and onto the ground?

Also, is it common for these bolts to work loose, allowing the whole hitch getting sloppy loose from wear from flopping around?

Edited by modirt - 03 Oct 2018 at 4:30pm
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 4:17pm
I guess the question is, if we pull that bolt, are we going to dump the rear transmission oil out? OK if we do, as we are changing it anyway, just trying to understand the source of the oil.
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 5:40pm

This bolt..........

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2018 at 5:43pm
The factory 3 point, that you have is prone to loosening, keep those 3 vertical bolts tight.  I can't remember if they are dry or wet.  I'd take the wet one you've wrenched on, before, out, with a bucket underneath, just in case... Then clean it up good, put some locktite on, and assemble, with a new lock washer...

Problem with d-17's and down, factory 3 points are held on with those 3 vertical bolts, and side to side stresses, on the 3 point, can move them bolts enough, to start them backing out.  Add to this, the fact that all oil leaks head toward them bolts, and you have a serious flaw, if you don't check them, at least, each time you hook up something heavy...Wink

Edited by DiyDave - 03 Oct 2018 at 5:44pm
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2018 at 3:11pm
OK....here is what we found out.

First, the bolt shown in the photo is not supposed to be a bolt. Parts manual shows it to be a stud with washer and nut on the bottom. Stud is to be coated with sealant, then screwed into place to setup. Once set, nut goes on. Reason for the sealant is the hole opens into the transmission case. When we pulled the bolt, the entire contents of the transmission dumped into a bucket.

So the original stud was long gone. It had been replaced with a cap screw like the other three that holds the 3 point hitch and drawbar bracket on. Cap screws 3" x 3/4" Grade 8 machine bolts. The one we had had not been locked in place with sealant.

Stud has a part number, but is no longer available from AGCO. An odd thing, so not available locally either. Next step is to check McMaster Carr. If none shows up, new cap screw is going back in.

Still don't know if the other 3 cap screws, all of which are firmly in place, also open into oil reservoirs or dead end in space, but all three are going to be replaced and locked in place just the same.

exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2018 at 6:54pm
Updates?
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 10:21am
Sorry.......since the last update, there were two different related threads about this.............

The mystery of the stud........

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/looking-for-a-stud_topic154648_page1.html

And an issue with the factory 3 point hitch casting.......

https://www.allischalmers.com/forum/d15-3-point_topic154856_page1.html

If all goes as planned, she may be put back together and running in the next week or so.

We have about run out of known issues to fix. Clap

Either that or its the calm before the storm! LOL
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2018 at 12:23pm
Good to hear Mo (Howard).
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
acd-17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd-17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 9:26am
Is everything coming together?
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:30pm
Things are still in limbo.........casting and related 3 point parts still at the machine shop.

Hopefully, they will get to all that soon.
Dandan111 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dandan111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 7:18pm
Nice seeing you get your tractor to a solid state. It's hard to know were to stop spending money on a old tractor. looks like you've made some good decisions to me so far. That tractor will be around a long time now. Good luck as you finish her up!
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 1:57pm
It has been a while since I've published any videos.........

[TUBE]xlltrrTxxLs[/TUBE]
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:13pm
Two thumbs up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 891011>
  Share Topic