This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D15 Revival

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D15 Revival
    Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:10pm
New member and first time poster.

Have potentially been presented with a FREE D15.

History is tractor was running when it was parked, and hasn't moved since. Exact time it has sat is unknown, but best guess is 15 years +/-.

Had new tires on it when parked, but fronts are flat and cracked nearly through. Backs are low, and cracked, but may still be usable.

Initial check, throttle and choke are locked up tight and won't move. Have not budged the tractor to see if engine will turn over. I checked the oil and it only had oil on the dipstick.....no water so that was promising.

I am not looking to go into a big restoration project, but would love to have the tractor as a user if I can get it running.

So my question is, what are the steps to get this going?

Sponsored Links

Allis-Chalmers Damon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:34pm
Wow congrats on that find! The tractor looks in pretty good shape overall.  The first few things I would do would be drain all gas and fuel lines, get a carb rebuild kit, fresh oil change, new plugs and wires (maybe rotor and cap as well), and possibly a new muffler as that one looks really rusted.  The tires might be in ok shape, I am running my D14 with a few cracks here and there and have not had any problems.  

I am sure I am missing a few things but if it ran when parked, I don't see any reason why it won't turn over and fire up.
1955 WD45 Diesel, 1959 D14, All-Crop Drill, 2015 John Deere 5075e, New Holland 279 Haybine, New Holland 575 square baler, New Holland 1032 Stackliner, 10ft Industrias Disc, 6ft Titan grapple
Jim Hancock View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 12:46pm
Hi Modirt!
Welcome to the forum! 
First, pull and check the plugs for any carbon buildup and clean. 
Squirt a cup or so of ATF fluid into the cylinders to avoid a dry start up. 
You can change the oil either before or after you get it started - up to you. 
Just need to find out if it will fire yet, or not, after these preliminaries. 
Was the oil clean when you checked the dipstick? 
If not, I'd change it and the filter. 
Carefully unscrew the oil pan drain plug just enough to see if you get water run out to verify that there's not any water in the bottom. 
If oil, screw back in, unless it needs changed due to all of the dirt settled in the bottom. 
Check the fluid levels of the tranny and hydraulics - add as needed - after you get the engine running. 
Drain the gas tank and put in new and check for flow at the carb. 
There may be a screen disc above the sediment bowl on the bottom of the gas tank that will probably need cleaned up. 
You will probably have to pull the carb for a new kit in it if it doesn't get gas up to the cylinders.
I'd add a can of Seafoam or Chemtool B12 to the gas to get into the carb to start cleaning it out. You "might" not have to "kit" it yet. 
Pull distributor cap and check for  and/or clean corrosion off the points. Replace with new points and condensor if no fire. 
You may or may not need a new coil, distributor cap, rotor bug, plug wires just from age and any deterioration from sitting so long. 
Check the air filter to see how "plugged" it is. Replace if needed. 
While hood is off, pull the valve cover and pour some ATF over the valves to let it run down the stems to avoid a dry start up. 
Check fluid level in the radiator. Add as needed to just cover the cores, which one finger length and just touch the coolant is about right. 
Otherwise, if these are like other tractors of this era, fill to the neck and it'll overflow when the engine heats up. 
Install battery and bump the starter while watching for valve movement, or not. 
This will get you enough info to see where to go, if it sputters and/or starts, or not. 

Where 'bouts in Mo. are you located? My hometown is Carthage in the sw corner just east of Joplin. 

Again, welcome aboard! 

Edited by Jim Hancock - 18 Jul 2018 at 1:03pm
How blessed we are by HIS GRACE!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:12pm
Check the throttle linkages and get them lubed up loosened up and working first before starting on the engine stuff. 
No sense in getting the engine going until you can control it's speed. 
Pull the drain plug on the bottom of the carb and get your fresh gas flowing out of it there. 
It'll drain any old gas and/or water out and hopefully flush any tiny bits of rust out. 
If it doesn't flow, the needle valve and/or float may be stuck. 
Very gently tap the carb to see if that will unstick them and get the gas flowing through it.  
If not, rebuild the carb. 

Edited by Jim Hancock - 18 Jul 2018 at 1:23pm
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:24pm
Thanks for the quick responses and help! I've only been driving tractors for close to 55 years, but that is only driving and maintaining them. I've never tried to bring one like this back from the dead, although my first car was an unused John Deere B. But it had only been parked for a year or so. It only needed clean fuel to start.

Yes, my first instinct was to make no attempt at turning the engine over.....at least by using any force, until I knew if engine was locked up / frozen. Figured I should pull the plugs and squirt something in the cylinders......wasn't sure what. I might have used a bit of diesel fuel. But ATF will work and I can see about pulling the valve cover too.

Is there a way to turn the engine over by hand or is it going to require more force, like the starter? Am resisting temptation to get it rolling and pop the clutch. That would be an easy to to do a lot of damage in a hurry. The PTO is shifting in and out. No belt drive wheel or flywheel I can see.

I don't think it has any fuel in it.....may have all leaked out.  Will check coolant, but I don't think there is any there either. Looked to me like a nest of some type behind the radiator where the fan blades might hit it. Will dig that out before touching anything.

At the least, muffler needs to come off to be cleaned out. Has a mud daubber nest sticking out the top as is.

The other big issue will the the carb, as choke and throttle are currently frozen up. Not much is going to happen with the engine until those are freed up and working again.

PTO and tranny are freed up and shifting in and out, and high / low lever seems to also be working.

Lastly, will and AGCO dealer have parts or where is the best place to get parts like the carb kit, plugs, wires, points, etc?

I'm in Central MO, near Fulton.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim Hancock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:32pm
Hi!
Air up the tires, put the tractor in 4th gear Hi(forward) and rock/bump it a little and watch the fan blades. 
I think that I'd let the ATF soak a couple days before bumping it. 
You can add acetone to the ATF 50/50 mix and get somewhat faster(?) results from the reports on this forum .  
Being shedded all this time may be in your favor. 
Vendors on this site can help you with the electrical items,

B&B Custom Circuits is Steve in NJ,    

OKTractor.com is Jim Danforth

Edited by Jim Hancock - 18 Jul 2018 at 1:40pm
Allis-Chalmers Damon View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis-Chalmers Damon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 1:42pm
www.tonystractors.com is a great place to shop for AC parts. 

If you are looking for someone closer, here is a link to other dealers:

1955 WD45 Diesel, 1959 D14, All-Crop Drill, 2015 John Deere 5075e, New Holland 279 Haybine, New Holland 575 square baler, New Holland 1032 Stackliner, 10ft Industrias Disc, 6ft Titan grapple
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 2:21pm
So this thing is currently in a barn across the road from me, so I can check on it, play with it there.

Gas tank is empty. Sediment bowl is half full of what looks like varnish, and is stuck and won't come off.

Eased off the choke linkage a bit, and was able to work choke a little, so while it remains very stiff, it's not entire frozen either.

How does the breather cap come off? Right side engine cover can't get past it without it coming off, and this one seems to be stuck in place. Lifts off? Screws off? Hate to apply force if you don't know where or how.

Can't tell if there is any coolant. May dump some antifreeze in and see if it spills out.

Also, cannot see much evidence of oil or other fluids on the ground below. Oil on the dipstick is full, but is black and thick. It will rate a change before trying to turn the engine over.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 3:12pm
I would take penatrating oil and spray the throttle and choke and sediment bowl good while you work on the other things. I think the oil fill cap just pulls off.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:16pm
Oil fil cap just lifts off. A slight twist and lift should do it. Does it have the breather cap that comes thru the right side hood? If so, a twist and lift should remove it also.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:20pm
The D-15 is a great little work horse, surprising what 46 hp will do. Dads is a 1968 series II and it has been very reliable. Pulls a 3 bottom Oliver plow easy.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 4:24pm
Found a gallon of fresh 50/50 Prestone antifreeze and was pleased when it only took about 1/2 of it to bring radiator coolant up to visible level and was not leaking any.

Was also relieved to find out our local Ford/New Holland dealer, who used to sell Allis, still stocks many of the common Allis parts, like oil filters, air filters, etc. and can get most others given enough time. They also stock carb kits and will do the rebuild in their shop if I bring it it.

This is looking better all the time, so next step will be for me to air up the tires and drag her home to my shop and get busy on it.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 5:50pm
First thing I'd do with a FREE tractor would be to air up the tires and drag it HOME!.  No matter what the other problems you may encounter, at least its a short walk, to mess with it...

Air cleaner top is just a press fit, if its stuck, just squirt your favorite panther piss, up, and around it, and tap it with a hammer, whilst twisting with a pair of channel locks...Wink
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 6:58pm
I agree Free is good. Getting it home on your property even better! Great gift. It will cause you pleasure and pain! But its worth it!
Welcome to the Allis forum!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:16pm
I recently bought a D17 that had been sitting 5 to 7 years put some fresh gas in the tank ,got the gas to running to the carb and out out the drain.Filed the points,clean up the rotor button,cleaned up the contacts on the dist cap.Installed new battery cranked it over a few times it fired up and I backed it off the trailer.Get it home before you work on it as the person who gave it to you might decide they need to keep it once it becomes a running
tractor.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 8:31pm
Congratulations you lucky dog! That is a Series II and is a very nice find. Welcome to the Forum. Already some good advice given and like has already been said the first thing I would do is drag it home.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Macon Rounds View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Macon Rounds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2018 at 11:13pm
Looks like a sickle bar hold up rod tied to the left side of the tractor and the sickle mower parked behind it. If that was its job in life it should be a good tractor.   
The Allis "D" Series Tractors, Gravely Walk behind Tractors, Cowboy Action Shooting !!!!!!! And Checkmate
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 1:24am
There is a pull type JD sickle bar mower parked behind it, and I'm told that when the original owner retired, this tractor and that mower were the only pieces of equipment he kept, and used it to clip pastures, mow pond dams and road banks, etc. Prior to that, tractor was used in his general farm operations. I suspect it has only had one owner. BTW, I'm hoping to revive the mower too.

I also noticed that rod and am not sure what its purpose was. It does not appear to be part of the existing JD mower. It appears to me it is tied to the 3 point hitch on the left side, and projects motion forward. Good news is the original owner is still alive and may be able to tell us what it is.

BTW, 3 point lift, no snap coupler and no center link to be found. One single hose hydraulic service. Fixed up and running, this could be a handy little tractor for a lot of things. Mowing and raking hay both come to mind.
B26240 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B26240 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:06am
Welcome to the forum !!  Lots of good advice above,  D 15 is a nice tractor.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:08am
If you take the plugs out and squirt some type of oil in each cylinder, reach in and grab the fan and see if the engine will turn over without the plugs in.
 D15 II with 3 point has been my DREAM tractor for a long time. I wish a neighbor had one near me and wanted it removed from his property  Approve
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Jk chalmers View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 4:44pm
. This is a before and after my D 15 was also in the barn for 20 years without moving!! It be too much typing but if you wanna give me a call tomorrow would be a lot easier for me to just tell you everything I did and the things you’re probably have to do as well.. Justin 740 272 1992 also Adter you get it rolling you will absolutely fall in love with it I have!!
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:06pm
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:09pm
Nice wheel weights ! Looks to be a really straight tractor
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:50pm
Folks,
See these tractors are still out there hidden away and just waiting!
I see we have a pretty nice WD45D at the local tractor show this weekend for sale.
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jk chalmers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 5:56pm
Yes they are !! Hunting them down and getting leads is half the fun. It’s addicting unfortunately ha ha
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 6:14pm
I've lived within 200 yards of this tractor for the past 2 years and didn't know it. Ball got rolling when I was looking for some storage space for square hay bales and some hay equipment. Place is rented, but that tenant isn't using the barn, so I asked and was told ok, but the barn would have to be cleaned out....old hay moved, hole in roof patched, doors fixed up.  No worries.

Then someone mentioned that also included an old broken down tractor, that was half buried in the dirt. Still no worries. First glance and something came out of my mouth that might have went something like "Jesus Christ...that's an Allis D15!"

They thought I was doing them a favor by taking it, so they would not have to find a way to haul it off. One man's treasure and all that. If it pans out and I get it running, I will still give them something for it. I'm still hoping I get to heaven.

About 5 years ago, I ran across a barn full of similar stuff. Two All Crops.....one a 60 and the other a 66. Owners (heirs of an estate) thought they would work, but were not sure about the belts. They also had an an old E combine, with two 10' platform heads and a 2 row picker.

Was offered good deals on all of them, but had no use for them at the time. They eventually sold at an estate auction. Pretty good deals as I recall. Buyer of the E towed it home, but sellers thought they did get it running.

So yes, that stuff is still out there. More than you know. Dwindling, yes, but it still exists.

GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2018 at 8:25pm
You can turn the engine by turning the PTO stub. Place tranny in neutral, engage the PTO and rotate the stub. It may be easier if you remove the spark plugs 1st.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:35am

I've been on a few other forums, and if this one is anything like all the rest, payment in the form of pictures is the currency of choice in exchange for all the good advice given.

So......a progress update:

Got the tires aired up and they look much better than I expected. Flat, but NOT cracked as I thought. They look nearly new and were holding air. One rear had a bit of a crack in the sidewall, but came up and held. Rims have some rust down low however.

So with the tires up, we got her moved. I drove, and she handled well. Brakes were working perfect.

Engine covers off and so it begins........
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:36am
Hmmmm........images have been uploaded, but when I click on the images icon to add them, nothing happens? All other functions appear to be working, but not images?

modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2018 at 6:40am
This is better.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic