This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D14 Transmission and clutch fluids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puryear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D14 Transmission and clutch fluids
    Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 10:50am

According to the service manual the D14 transmission takes 16qt of EP 80 and the clutch takes 10qt of SAE 20w. I bought these lubricants and began to change. I drained the transmission and noticed that it also drained the clutch compartment. How do you put different weight oils in each if they evidently join together?

Sponsored Links

Jason(OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:21pm

If both compartments drained when you drained the transmission, that means the seals between the power director housing and the transmission housing are bad. The seals on both the main shaft and PTO will need to be changed. There are 2 seals back to back on each shaft. I replaced all 4 in my D-14 about 7-8 years ago. I don't remember for sure, but I think you can change the seals by splitting the tractor between the power director housing and transmission housing. If you are going to tackle this yourself, get an I-T manual or a reprint of the Allis Chalmers service manual from Sandy Lake Implement (they advertise on here). Don't be afraid to ask questions on here. There are alot of knowledgable people on here who offer good advice free of charge!

Puryear View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puryear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:32pm
Jason, will it damage anything to fill compartments back with the EP 80 fluid I bought and run it temporarily until I fix it?
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:43pm
I would use a hytran fluid(basically a 20wt oil) in the whole thing. My WD45 has been that way since I replaced 3ed gear in it 28 years ago. The hytran will work just fine in the transmission and differential but 80 wt might be a little thick in the PD and hydraulics, unless you keep the tractor in a heated garage all winter. The only problem I have is there are a couple gaskets that need replaced and 20 wt will seep through easier than gear lube. Charlie
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Puryear View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puryear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 12:50pm
okay, thanks a lot. Just didn't want to damage anything. I'll do that until I decide what I want to do with it! Mark
Jason(OH) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2010 at 9:50pm
I agree with Charlie. Put Hydraulic Transmission Fluid in both compartments. I use CaseIH HyTran Fluid. I would not do any really hard work with it until you get it fixed. It wasn't designed to be run with HyTran in the transmission and I don't think the hydraulic pump or power director would like 80 wt gear lube You will definetly find out how good your gaskets, axle seals, and PTO shaft seal are.
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 9:11am
Jason, I have plowed with my 45 and even pulled a sled once in a tractor pull. I don't think you can hurt a transmission using it since it is used in the high HP tractors of today without any problems.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Rogers View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 1:19pm
From what I've heard there are a few people that use the universal hydraulic/transmission fluid everywhere including in the transmission. I put 80-90W gear lube in the transmission because I split my tractor apart and replaced the seals on the upper and lower pinion shaft. That being said I wouldn't be scared to run the universal fluid everywhere without being worried about the transmission.
Think for yourself and be your own expert. Be willing to change your mind; however, willingness to change your mind doesn’t mean that you will. Blindly following any path is the pinnacle of insanity.
firebrick43 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firebrick43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2010 at 1:42pm
Rodger, gear oils are confusing as they are rated on a different scale.  20W hytran is equivalent to 70/75W gear oil in viscosity and includes the necessary high pressure additives (20w engine oil does not)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic