This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D-14 power steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D-14 power steering
    Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 10:56am
I think this was discussed a year or so ago but I'm not sure it was ever resolved.

Is there a source for parts to renew a D-14 power steering pump?  Once I ever get around to it I'll also need the bearings and seals for the steering input shaft so that the oil won't continue to leak out of the resevoir.

Thanks.  I'm thinking about my winter projects.
Sponsored Links

Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2010 at 9:14pm
Charlie, I had to replace both gears in the ps pump on mine. No new parts were available, but I did find a NOS drive gear and a used driven gear from a larger pump. Had to machine down the width of the latter to work in my pump. The pump was a John Barnes pump as I recall.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Charlie (NC) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 3:00am
Thanks for the reply Dave.  I was thinking that when this subject came up before there were no parts available.  I was hoping maybe something had changed.    Not sure what mine needs yet.
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:10am
I ended up making the parts that I needed for the Barnes pump on my D14.  I understand that someone is making new gears, but the drive shaft and woodruff keys were at the root of my problems.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:28am
Thanks Brett.  If I ever get around to tearing into it, I'll let the list know what I run into.
I'm sure I'll have questions.
norm [ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm [ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:08pm
  we have new gears  # 228850  10 teeth   1-574-342-4545  just sent 2 to georgia
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie (NC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2010 at 8:46pm
Thanks Norm.  It's good to know that you have them.  I don't know what if anything is wrong with mine.  When I bought the tractor the previous owner had been running it without fluid because it is leaking out around the worm shaft in the steering box.  He'd been running it that way for years.   I don't use the tractor that much but I haven't fixed it and run it just like he did.  I can put oil in it and have power steering until the oil runs out and it even feels like I have some sterring assist now and then even though I know there is no oil left in the resevoir.   I don't know what it's done to the gears but it can't be good for them.  Maybe this winter I'll get around to fixing it. 

Has anyone ever tried using a add on oil tank for the steering pump?  I don't see why it wouldn't work.  
ccuthulutt View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 5:11am
Gentlemen,

I need power steering parts for my D-14 power steering control valve.  I especially require two thrust bearings, part #s 228655 or 0235092.

Thanks, 

Tad
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:19am
Charlie, if the D14 is like the D17, there is a tapered roller bearing and ordinary lip seal. I just replaced them on my D17. Easy to do. I also was surprised at the amount of crud in the bottom of the reservoir.
Norm, do you have any parts for the Barnes pump mounted on the back of the generator? Mine has worn splines on the generator shaft, coupler, and pump shaft.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:36am
I can supply a complete used control valve if needed. Been stored well for years, not sure what the internal condition is though. I suspect it is in working order or at least a good parts unit. 
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:43pm
Chris,

Do you, indeed, have a steering control valve for a D-14!!  I would be interested in acquiring i

Tad
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccuthulutt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2010 at 10:43pm
it!
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2010 at 10:46am
  we have a used power steering pump for sale  also  will fit a d-10-12 hyd.pump
   1-800-254-3116 for info.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic