This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D road grader engine swap

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D road grader engine swap
    Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 5:52am
Has anybody tried to put a cummins 4bt on a d road grader, I have a customer wanting me to do this, trying to figure out which engine to try to use
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 7:35pm
i have looked into this swap for my TL-12.  the 4bt flywheel is bigger than the 45 or 17 flywheel , going by ring gear diameter.  it would take some modifications.   there may be a couple sizes on the 4 bt depending on what it came out of.   I have had a hard time trying to figure out the specs on the 4bt vs the 226 motors,  it can be done but at what $$$.   
 i dont have one laying around and i wont spend money on a motor without better information.

Edited by CAL(KS) - 02 Dec 2014 at 7:37pm
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2014 at 8:00pm
Equipment salvege guy told me they have weak spot...ring&pinion.I don't know but if true more power might work against you.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 1:15am
believe one of guys from down under is going to swap a 236 Perkins into a D 
was looking at a 3-71 DD transplant but got the Perkins at right price. 

I have a Perkins 6-354 I was going to put in my Adams 411 grader to replace the IH UD-14 engine but have not needed a grader for years . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 8:46pm
My customer just thought that we be a good engine , what a bout a Kubota four cylinder like a v2200
ILGLEANER View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ILGLEANER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2014 at 9:02pm
I have a F3 engine sitting in the shop. And a D grader. How tough would that be ?
      IG

Education doesn't make you smart, it makes you educated.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 4:34am
Before putting a Kubota in, you have to check the power curve of the new engine, versus the old,  Most Kubotas develop max power at higher RPMs, than older AC engines...
DonBC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonBC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 2:52pm
With the gearing on the D grader, unless you have the optional auxiliary drop down transmission, you want an engine that can develop lots of torque at lower rpm's.
Jack of all trades, master of none
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 5:21pm
whats wrong with a D17 or combine motor if you want a good fit with extra HP ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WILLOPS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WILLOPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2014 at 9:09pm
Customer wants a good reliable Diesel engine, and I am Kubota dealer, and he is by far the best Kubota customer I got this man put kubotas on everything, to include a bad ass wood spliter I rigged up for him earlier this year.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2014 at 3:33am
High rpm engines do not suit machines that were built with lower revers. As Don points out, the gearing is wrong for them. I mentioned that to a gentleman on here with ideas of putting a B Series Cummins in an HD11. To work the Cummins at a suitable output, it would be doing near twice the rpm the ol Buda was. For that reason, the B Series was suitable to replace 53 series Detroit (2600 rpm) 71 series Detroit is a good  replacement for Buda/Allis because they are capable of working happily at 1500-1800 rpm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic