This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D Grader

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D Grader
    Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 7:29am
Having starter problem on my model D grader with 226 engine. Recently purchased the grader. It has a 12 volt battery and an alternator. I installed a new starter switch,(sits on top of starter) but still having problems. Pulled the starter, found it to be a Delco 6 volt, which Delco no longer builds. Could the difference in voltage be the problem? The wiring is as follows; single wire from alt. to post on starter switch, wire from coil to what appears to be a 3 post piece of ceramic , one wire from ignition switch to one post of ceramic piece, second wire from ign. switch to post on starter switch. Battery was positive ground which I changed to negative. Battery positive direct to starter switch. getting 12.8 volts at starter switch. The starter is a Delco 1107951  7A7. Can anyone help this old geezer figure this out?
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:36pm
A 6 volt starter will just have more torque, when applying 12V to it. Is your new starter switch contacting the starter, where it should?
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 9:09pm
No problem having 12 volts going to a 6 volt starter.  My D14 has been like that for over 30 years.
Can't really help with what else you provided.  Does the starter crank the engine but the engine won't fire?
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 5:45pm
When I removed the starter. I saw that the starter housing was broken. The half-shell part covering the rod and cam was previously broken completely off and had been brazed together. The braze broke, leaving me with 2 parts. So I ordered a new starter from a place in Cincinnati, Ohio. Will be here in 3 days. While waiting, I replaced all the wiring. It should be in good shape now, only thing left to do is install new cutting edges, which I already have in hand. Delco told me that starter is obsolete, but found a new, not rebuilt one. Again, thank you to the fellows who responded to my posts. Members of this forum are generous with their knowledge and experience, and I appreciate that.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:26pm
Be sure to keep everything from the old starter because you can also just buy the part of the housing that is broken. It sells for around $57.00
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 3:38pm

Hi.   Are you able to send some pictures? Model D graders are a big favorite. I have had mine for about 15 years. Yesterday I got the new master cylinder installed. Hopefully it is ready to go to work now.

Ross D.
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:31pm
Thanks, I will do that. I previously replaced the alternator, wiring, plugs and plug wires, carburator, and now the starter and battery. Should be ready to go, Also new cutting edges. And acquired a long term job maintaining a 23 mile gravel and dirt road to a remote oil well after the Mississippi River returns to normal stage. The well and road are under 8 feet of water now. Will put an umbrella on and get to work. I`ll say it again. The members of this forum are very generous in sharing their knowledge and experience, and it is appreciated.
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 5:41pm
Ross, I will post photos when I get the starter in so that I can get the grader out of my shed for better photos. The serial # is 1547. Not sure of the year, I think `52 or `53. W 226 or WD226 motor. No wheel brakes, only flywheel brake. no power circle or side shift. It does have hydraulic cylinders on front wheels to assist in steering. What year is yours and is it painted the A/C orange or yellow like mine? I also have a spare W226 motor that could be rebuilt which I`m thinking about selling.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 7:55pm
Before you attempt to re-install a new starter, and attempt to start, roll the motor over a coupla turns, by hand to be sure that nothing is binding...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2019 at 8:31pm
Your model D grader serial #1547 is made in 1951 according to my serial # book.
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:04am
Thanks, Dave. Will do. That is good advice.
Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 11:07am

Hi Walter.    I am currently away from my shop for a couple of days. I will be able to look up some information when I get back home. I believe that your grader would have originally had a 201 engine. The first years would have been orange in colour. I will get you some information.
   My grader is a 1967 'D Special'. It came with all the extras, except power steering. Here are pictures. The first picture is with Calvin Schmidt grading a country laneway. The second picture is a laneway grading of a friends 1/2 mi long farm driveway.   Ross D.

Ross D. View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ross D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 3:19pm
History:
   Serial # 1547 - 1951 with a 201 WD 35HP.
   1953 - W226 engine WD45
   1954 - added diesel 6D230 WD45
   1958 - G226 gas D17
   1958 - 6D262 diesel D17
   Mid 1961, the main frame changed from 8" round to a 8" square.
   Produced from 1949 to 1971.
   In 1971, it became the M65.

Does this help?

Ross D.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 9:27pm
helps me 
thanks

HD3
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 1:48pm
Ross, yes. that helps a lot. Thanks. Have you ever changed a rear axle outer oil seal? All four are leaking, one much more than the others. I don`t have a shop manual for the grader yet. Wondering about the level of difficulty, and if I should change the outer bearing at the same time. Any thoughts on this?
wn willis View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wn willis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 8:29pm
Ross, that`s a nice looking machine.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic