This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 19 tranny question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 19 tranny question
    Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 9:21pm
I bought a D 19 on a local consignment sale with the engine clutch out. After a few months time I discovered who the seller was and aked him about the history of the tractor and his story was that he was towing the tractor to town for repairs and the rear wheels locked up. He loaded it on a trailer hauled it home. After pulling it back and forth the rear wheels turned again. He then loaded it on the trailer and hauled it to the sale.
Anyone want to take a guess what the problem would be.  I have been told towing these tractors can explode the power director, is this the case? Any other ideas or guesses at the cost to repair? Thanks

Of course none of this story was told at the sale!!!
Allis Express
'65 190XT, 37 B, '72 170, '83 8030, and the IH 560 was a mistake
Sponsored Links

Matt MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 9:33pm
My guess would be the Brakes or rear differential problems.   
Unless your are the lead horse the scenery never changes!!
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 9:52pm
Is there oil in the transmision? Sounds like it low on oil and pinion bearing locked up.   MACK
Josh(NE) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Josh(NE) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2010 at 10:00pm
there is oil in it but its a little milky. The pd handle is softer when it is pulled into the low  side but snaps firmly into high.
Allis Express
'65 190XT, 37 B, '72 170, '83 8030, and the IH 560 was a mistake
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 7:47am
Also when towing a tractor like that, when the transmission is in "neutral", the mainshaft (top shaft) is turning inside all of the gears mounted on it. There are no gears turning inside the transmission case, so there is zero oil being splashed around causing the gears to possibly sieze to the top shaft (mainshaft/pinion shaft). When things cooled down it may have broken free...maybe or maybe not. Like Mack, I also think it's pinion bearings that have siezed from lack of oil.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 2:49pm
Wow I towed one about 60 miles at around 30-45 mph and never had a problem other than oil coming out the breather at 45....maybe the trick is to tow it faster!
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
TedBuiskerN.IL. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TedBuiskerN.IL. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2010 at 9:44pm
If you tow a WD or WD45, have the engine running with the transmission in neutral, clutches engaged.  The input shaft bearings are only oiled when the input shaft is turning.  I don't know if this applies to the D19 or not.
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of high explosives.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 7:18am
Yes it does......all "constant-mesh" designs are basically like that.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:07pm
I sure hope you can get er up and runnin, Josh. D 19's are a sweet tractor. Darrel
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic