This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 17 winch.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alleyyooper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 17 winch.
    Posted: 20 May 2016 at 7:52am
Rather than going to get another tractor when this happens I'm contemplating on mounting a big 12,000 winch on the d 17.
Should be a easy mount and hook up. But there are always buts, Is the generator and battery stock on the tractor good enough or should I get a isolator and mount a double battery set upon the tractor.

I figure it would get me out of these messes and also skid saw logs out of the wet areas.

Al
Sponsored Links

Dmpaul89 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dmpaul89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 1:22pm
If it has an alternator yes. But make sure you leave it running while winching or you may not have enough power to restart after. Also may want to use a dual purpose (boat) battery that can stand being drained low and recharged a lot.   Best to just stay out of mud!

Winches have a low duty cycle especially cheap ones. It wont last long pulling log after log. Would definatly get the extended warranty!

Edited by Dmpaul89 - 20 May 2016 at 1:28pm
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:35pm
As said above, best to just stay out of the mud!  When you start slowing down, put it in reverse and get outta there.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
Dan73 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 9:59pm
Get duals and ring chains then you will be alot deeper when it stops.... LMAO we have all been there got my d15 barrier in a mud hole Christmas day. Beast bet is either a second tractor or one of those killer winches that are on a deuce and half truck. Like was said earlier the cheap winches are just that and the cables don't like being in the weather all the time. Logging on a winch is hard on the winch did that with a 4 wheeler wasn't a great idea.
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2016 at 10:17pm
I have a similar winch on my trailer and have gotten along with it just fine. I would put a second battery where you mount the winch, then you can run charging cables to it when it needs it
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic