This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 - Power Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 - Power Steering
    Posted: 01 Aug 2021 at 10:27pm
A few weeks ago I posted a question about my tractor's power steering - it disappeared. The main suggestion was to check the fluid. I did that. It was way low, so I filled it up and presto, I had power steering again. After using it once or twice, the power steering disappeared again. It was low on fluid again, so I filled it up. Before heading out again, I also checked ALL the  fluids and noticed that the engine oil was way way high on the dip stick. I know I did not over fill that and the time before that the fluid level was where it is supposed to be on the dip stick. I had not filled it up since that time. Is it possible that the power steering fluid is finding its way into the engine oil? If so, what would you recommend as a repair(s)? When I bought the tractor a few years ago, the seller said that he just had the power steering pump rebuilt. I'm wondering if it had the same issues. There are no leaks this big going on with the tractor that I can tell. Any clues as to what is going on with the power steering fluid? Thank you!

Edited by John-Paul - 02 Aug 2021 at 8:04pm
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 6:32am
Power steering oil (ahead of the radiator) only leaks externally or into the engine oil. Nowhere else.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:00pm
Thank you, I stand corrected.  It is the engine oil dipstick that reads high now. Could the two be related?   
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 8:54pm
I said it can only leak externally (which it isn't) or into the engine oil (which now you say it is) so, yes, you have a leaking power steering pump shaft seal, allowing power steering oil to leak into the engine.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2021 at 9:38pm
Ok.  If this same repair was already made once before, and now it has failed, should I try to repair or rebuild, or would it be best to just get a whole new power steering pump? I appreciate your help.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 4:51am
I'd pull pump apart and see what the problem is. Last guy may have done something wrong. It may be junk or just need to be fixed right.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 5:50am
There are no new pumps available. Fix yours or find a good used one.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2021 at 10:32pm
Will do. Thank you!
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 11:04am
I have everything degreased so I can see what is what now. Do I need to remove any other components first before I can disconnect and remove the power steering pump - such as the radiator or anything else? It looks like most of the disconnecting will be from underneath, is that correct? Appreciate your help!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 2:08pm
When I put the pump in my D14 I didn't have to remove anything else.  I had to cut a notch in the frame rail because I used a 15 pump which is a little different.  The hardest part is removing the lines to the pump and getting them back on. 
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2021 at 9:30pm
Your life will be much easier if you remove the right side frame rail.  Better access to the lines and pump.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 8:42am
Thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic