This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 gas engine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 gas engine
    Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 2:39pm
After working mine hard it's now blowing watery looking oil out of the breather/oil fill cap . It's down at the 'farm' now . Soon as I get it back to my shop I need to figure out what's going on . Probably check the compression first. The rad might be a little low , but sure not much . May need to 'rent' auto zones rad pressure tester again I guess ? Used the tester about a year ago when I had the head rebuilt . Always something , it seems . Thanks !

Edited by ACinSC - 17 Oct 2023 at 10:09am
Sponsored Links

Straanger View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Straanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 3:06pm
If you haven’t it for a year, and then worked it hard, you might want to let it sit for a day, then crack the oil drain plug and see what you get. Water, antifreeze, or just oil. A lot of condensation happens in a year. If all that comes out is oil, then you worked the condensation out.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 3:25pm
Oh I've run it a good bit since the head was rebuilt. My concern is all this oil blowing out. Thanks
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 4:28pm
If the crankcase is PRESSURIZED then you blow oil out the vents.. If you see WATER in the blow by.......... its normally a head gasket problem..
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 4:53pm
Kinda what I was wondering Steve. Thanks
RedHeeler79 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeeler79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 5:19pm
I had a WD45 years ago that would put coolant into the oil and the top end got that watery sludge forming in it. Turned out that the block was cracked in between the cylinder sleeves at the lower bores. Just another possibility and place to look. Of course the pan has to come off to verify this problem or when the seals on the sleeves have failed. Hopefully your D15 doesn’t have this same issue…
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2023 at 6:40pm
I've had a little condensation ever since I put the rebuilt head on. Can't figure why it blowing oil out? Something must have changed to cause that ? Thanks guys
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 3:28am
This is the same scenario you had a year ago, right ?? And you pulled the head off without dropping the pan first to try and determine where the coolant was getting into the motor oil ??  Check the radiator. If it is low on coolant, I think it's going into the motor oil.

Edited by DrAllis - 17 Oct 2023 at 3:38am
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 5:42am
Different deal, this time it's blowing a lot of oil out of the breather. Oil looks a little watery to me
Also I've worked this tractor since the head rebuild. Did have some condensation inside the valve cover but none in the pan. Oil blowing out just started after working the tractor hard recently. Thanks
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 6:21am
If oil is "blowing out", somewhere you are getting pressure (compression) in the oiling system, either past the piston rings, a hole in a piston or sleeve, head gasket or a crack, either in the head or block. Did the tractor ever overheat?
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 6:32am
The big question is......radiator low ?? or NOT ???
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 7:43am
Gauge did get up to about 200 degrees before I cleaned the weeds off the radiator. Don't think that qualifies as overheating though? Radiator might be a little bit low. Didn't have a flashlight or a step stool to get a good look at the 'farm' Thanks
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 9:07am
If an engine is low enough on coolant, the temp gauge doesn't necessarily read correctly because there may not be coolant touching the sensor. So, for example if your engine is one gallon low on coolant, the gauge may say 200 degrees but it may well be hotter than that.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2023 at 10:07am
It wasn't near that low . I checked it with a screwdriver , just couldn't see where the level was . Once I get it back here in my shop I'll start troubleshooting . Just wonder what would cause the oil to blow out like it does ? Thanks !
modirt View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote modirt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 6:55am
What head gasket was used on rebuild?

When we did the D15 / 160 engine the first time, we used the head gasket that came in Reliance overhaul kit, and it leaked right off. The test was to fill the radiator to cover the head gasket, then let it sit overnight (or a few days) to see if water started dripping out the oil drain plug. It did with Reliance gasket. The vintage real deal replacement held.

Seems the same test would be in order for you now. Would reveal a failed head gasket or cracked block? All you are out is some time and an oil change.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2023 at 11:01am
Don't recall head gasket brand . Did hold 10 psi all night after install . Thanks Modirt
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 4:50am
Did the oil level go up? If coolant level went down and oil level went up, it's obvious coolant is getting into the oil. Gotta fix it.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2023 at 6:23am
No, oil level was low. It'll take a while to get it in my shop and I'll post what I find. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic