This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 10 Brake drums cooking recipe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 10 Brake drums cooking recipe
    Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 8:19pm
Ready to put the new drums in the D 10 III I am working on.  How long at what temp do I need to get them expanded   enough. I have a gas grill I plan to heat them in. It will peg the thermometer at 500 degrees.

Any help or tips would be appreciated, first time I have done this.

Getting all the new seals in the final drives has been a chapter in itself.
Sponsored Links

GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 9:19pm
You should not have to heat them. Pull the final and the brake drum is inside the final and held in place with a key on the shaft. The drum has two tapped holes (5/8" or 3/4" course). I fashioned a puller using two long bolts approx 7" long and a heavy steel bar with two holes for the bolts. Place the plate over the final and tighten the bolts to pull the drum. Clean everything up an apply a lite coat of grease and you should be able to slide the new drum back on the axle and key.
Link to the On Line AC Parts book below. Sign in as guest, type d10 in the search by model, select AGCO Allis in the drop down box, then click on submit. Select D10/D12 on the pop yp page and you can see the parts layout for the tractor. Page 104 shows the brake setup.

What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 9:35pm
on the B which is similar, you have to pull or beat it to death to get it apart. After wire brush and honing, i pput antisieze and slide it on the shaft as mentioned. THe key and lock screw hold it in position.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 9:39pm
Did the brakes on my two D12's. Neither had a bolt holding the key; both came off easily with the puller. Now, doing the same on the CA's and B's I have done is another story as they do not have tapped holes in the drum for a puller.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 10:04pm
I heated mine in the oven (wife was gone that day but they did not smell that much) to 400 and took them out to the barn and they scared me as they dropped on the pinion shaft.
Joe/NC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 7:24am
There is no lock screw holing the drums on. Got them of pretty easy with puller. Dave had the answer I remembered in a previous post. Thanks! Joe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic