This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crossmatch spark plugs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McGregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crossmatch spark plugs
    Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:00pm
I know someone has posted this in the past but I cannot find it. What number of NKG plug matches up to the AC 45C or Autolite 308 for use in an AC45 tractor. I need something with a little more quality since the other plugs don't seem to last or work very well any more.
Thanks for any assistance
regards,
Ken McGregor
Sponsored Links

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 12:40pm
by book says ngk b2 or stock #31110 .    my 2 cents worth is that if plugs arnt lasting the problem is some where else  coil , condensor voltage to assuming this has distributer not a mag  or compression problems
Alvin M View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alvin M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 2:46pm
I Use Autolite AP86 Work Good For Me Used Them For 15 years
Ken McGregor View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken McGregor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 2:54pm
Any comments on using NKG XR41X/7189 or NKG B6ES?

regards,
Ken McGregor
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2018 at 3:45pm
The XR is a resistor plug. Go right ahead and use it if your tractor doesn't have a magneto.

Edit: Have a look here..

http://www.clubplug.net/assets/pdf/cross-reference-ngk.pdf

Edited by DougS - 02 Sep 2018 at 4:06pm
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2018 at 4:38pm
I started using B-4's in all the tractors. So far happy with them.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:39am
Originally posted by Ken McGregor Ken McGregor wrote:

I know someone has posted this in the past but I cannot find it. What number of NKG plug matches up to the AC 45C or Autolite 308 for use in an AC45 tractor. I need something with a little more quality since the other plugs don't seem to last or work very well any more.
Thanks for any assistance
regards,
Ken McGregor

Autolite 306 seems to cross better. It's a hotter plug. The lower the number (goes for NGK too), the hotter the plug. Switch up or down one number, depending on what you see at the end of the plug life.
Phil48ACWC View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:40am
https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/ngk,7189,spark+plug,7212

Click on above. Best plug and best price. NGK Iridium. I have these in my WC with WD45 Crank and WC pistons and rods. Makes 8:1 compression ratio. Also have distributor with Pertronix electronic ignition conversion and heavier advance springs to delay advance curve to avoid pinging on regular gas when the engine gets bogged way down. When I first built the engine, I put a brand new set of Autolites in and had misfires within less than 1 hour run time. Iridium is the only way to go. I now have 50 hours on the Iridium plugs and they run great. They are more expensive but they last practically for ever.  
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:54am
Expensive plug indeed. You can buy 4 regular plugs for the price of one iridium. Iridium plugs will still foul, so don't waste your $$ there if your tractor uses oil. Copper plugs still fire the easiest. I'd recommend that you stuck with copper if you are running standard ignition. Your XR4 is a resistor plug. Not recommended for magneto-equipped ignition systems.

Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 6:59am
The plugs I had in there were Autolite 303. Terrible. Love the NGK Iridium.
Butch(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:11am
You didnt ask these questions but since others mentioned them  I used Autolites for years after AC quit making the 45 but when they switched to China I had 3 bad sets in a row,,no more Autolites for me. There are still LOTS of NOS AC45 plugs around for sale and they work just as well now as they did back in the day.  A few years ago I kept A-C 45, AC45, AC-45 etc as saved searches on Ebay and quickly bought up a lifetime supply (X5) of plugs.  Dont get discouraged when you first look, there are quite a few for sale at very high prices, just save the search and be ready to buy when they show up for sale at decent prices.  Be aware that there are China reproduction AC45 on the market also, I have no experience  with them
DougS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 7:21am
Not intended as a political comment, but I wish the tariffs were applied to finished products, not raw material. That might bring the plug manufacturing back to the US.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil48ACWC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2018 at 11:09am
Yup, Chinese and Taiwanese plugs whether they are AC, Autolite, Champion or whatever, are junk. NGK Iridium are pricey but I haven't found a bad one yet and I bought 28 of them so far.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic