This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coyotes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coyotes
    Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 12:03am
I never had any coyote trouble at all until here recent. One morning a few weeks ago I saw two eating a newborn calf. I considered getting a donkey. I even posted a topic about it. I haven't had any loses since, although I have seen a single coyote roaming around twice since that morning. I had a new calf this morning. 15 minutes after mama and baby joined the herd, I saw a coyote sniffing around were the calf was born. I jumped in the truck, run home, and got the gun. When I got back it was gone, so I went out to check out the spot. Before I got there the coyote came back out. It was a long shot, but I took it anyway. I missed. Oddly enough, the coyote actually ran closer to me as it run. I had to use the rifle like a shotgun and dropped the coyote on the run like a rabbit. It was all luck, I'm not that good.

So one female coyote down. She didn't look like she had been nursing pups. Wrong time of the year I guess. Taken with a Remington model 700, 30-06. I know I may look proud as a peacock in that photo, but I don't take killing animals lightly. I've got nothing against people who hunt, but I don't kill for pleasure anymore. I felt this was necessary.
Sponsored Links

dawntreader74 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dawntreader74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 1:39am
had to do that before. a good old mule will sure end that crap' they don't come around a mule or donkey if they know whats good for them.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:01am
come on over here....we gots 2 packs of them running, they seem to be staying in the area too. must be a lot for them to eat out there yet! they are driving my dogs nuts! getting so I gotta carry a rifle when I go out too, the dude I let hunt here says his game cam shows them running out back at 0930 AM yet.
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:11am
Shameless, what the heck are you doing up at this time of night?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:13am
got up to let one of the pup's out, he really had to go! what about you?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 3:14am
be time for coffee in town in an hour, just as well stay up!
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 4:54am
Sometimes, if you are still hunting them, if you whistle one short blast, they will stop runnin, and look around... Perfect opportunity to get a shot off...Wink
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 9:26am
Good job Ranse !!! Removing a female will help reduce future problems. If you only shot once it is hard to locate where the shot came from. I have a good friend who loves to hunt coyotes, calls them in and zaps them with a rifle with a high powered red light at night. These varmints are extremely wary. Very hard to eliminate coyotes. When numbers are low they breed under duress. Read an article from a top US Forest game manger. He claimed best way to deal with coyotes is to constantly
harass them . Shoot at them whenever you see one. Give them an inherent fear of man . Trap with snares so you can release dogs or pets. You will never get rid of them but they will want to hunt where they are not bothered

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 12 Jan 2019 at 9:32am
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 10:43am
I hear the Coyotes screaming up a storm every evening as soon as it gets dark. There must be more than one pack. The Howling can come from 2 directions at once.
     I put the guts, head and hide from the hog I trapped in a open place behind the house night before last. There was not a hair left by morning.   Last night I set up my Game Cam next to the trimmings from cutting the pig up.  Same place.  it rained so there were plenty of Coyote tracks where the trimmings were.  Just my luck the game cam malfunctioned and nothing was on the chip to show you guys.
     We once raised sheep and free range chickens. Never lost a sheep or lamb to Coyotes.  They sure got enough of our chickens.  Even up in the day.
     If I came home from work on Friday to hear a Coyote got another chicken right after I left for work. On Saturday I would get out my trusty 30 06 loaded with 110 grain hollow points and ambush me a Chicken eatin Coyote.
     I forgot to mention I had a big white guard dog with my sheep 24-7
     No more free range chicken.  They are in a varmit proof pen and coop.
     If I wanted to kill coyotes I could by trapping or calling them up and shooting them. Right now I have no reason.  Right now Feral Hogs are my problem.   Beside that they taste good any way you fix pork.
JoeO(C-MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(C-MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

I never had any coyote trouble at all until here recent. One morning a few weeks ago I saw two eating a newborn calf. I considered getting a donkey. I even posted a topic about it. I haven't had any loses since, although I have seen a single coyote roaming around twice since that morning. I had a new calf this morning. 15 minutes after mama and baby joined the herd, I saw a coyote sniffing around were the calf was born. I jumped in the truck, run home, and got the gun. When I got back it was gone, so I went out to check out the spot. Before I got there the coyote came back out. It was a long shot, but I took it anyway. I missed. Oddly enough, the coyote actually ran closer to me as it run. I had to use the rifle like a shotgun and dropped the coyote on the run like a rabbit. It was all luck, I'm not that good.

So one female coyote down. She didn't look like she had been nursing pups. Wrong time of the year I guess. Taken with a Remington model 700, 30-06. I know I may look proud as a peacock in that photo, but I don't take killing animals lightly. I've got nothing against people who hunt, but I don't kill for pleasure anymore. I felt this was necessary.
Had to be a crazy critter to run into a speeding bullet
D10 III, D15 II 3 pt, D15 II SC, 170 Gas w/shuttle, 175 Diesel UI ROPS, 185 w ROPS. AC 653 w/6 way blade, ROPS
AC 615 Ind. WD45 running/Parts.
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 11:29am
One visited my house Christmas night got one of my breeder ducks and one of my guineas.  Haven't been able to get a shot off yet.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 1:41pm
Got them ugly critters all around the place, and use to have two good dogs that kept them at bay... now just one old dog that don't bother to go after them. Lately them fool things are getting closer into the yard and by the time I gets a good light ans gun, they is gone.  But when they gets real quiet, the wolfies are around...
  We use to have lots of pheasants around, but now there are hardly any... needto remove a bunch of the woodlot dogs.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:22pm
Ranse,
 You did good! Nice shootin too!
We have been hunting deer for the last two weeks and pushed out one yote.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:27pm
I usedta see 1 or 2 coydogs, when I called foxes.  Hadda caller, and the best thing to do was to sit behind a round bale, when you see 'em coming, I hadda white teddy bear onna string, pull the string, and and man the fox would just come a runnin fer that! Coyotes were smarter, would wait a little, and go in.

Every coyote that gets away must tell the rest how they did it, cause they get real smart, real fast!Wink
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:04pm
My neighbor lost a couple sheep to them.  Put a tiny blinking red light on the fences and have not had a problem since then.  Still hear them but I guess they are scared of the red light.  Read somewhere that this time of the year is breeding season for them, don't know if that is true everywhere or not.

"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:30pm
I've used blinky and moving lights before, they seem to last awhile on most all critters, but they soon become accustomed to it and it don't so good then.
ocharry View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ocharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 8:08pm
With all this pretty shi....stuff I am guessing they will be hungry and out lookin for a meal

I will prolly be watching for them....they will prolly stick out like a sore thumb in this deep white stuff

Ocharry
JohnCO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 11:27pm
My neighbors flashing red lights have been up over a year now and still they haven't been near the sheep pen since she put them up.  I kind of figured they would get used to them too but so far, so good.
"If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer"
Allis Express participant
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Ranse Ranse wrote:

It was a long shot, but I took it anyway.  the coyote actually ran closer to me. I had to use the rifle like a shotgun and dropped the coyote on the run like a rabbit. It was all luck, I'm not that good.

So one female coyote down. I've got nothing against people who hunt, but I don't kill for pleasure anymore. I felt this was necessary.
That was one heck of a good shot Ranse!!  To be able to shoot good enough to get them to run TOWARD you is a feat in itself.
Ranse, shooting these critters is just protecting your herd.  There was a reason they were almost extinct, along with the wolves.  But all the doo-gooders wanted em back.  Well, they should have put them back in central park in New York.  They once roamed there, but you never hear of the DNR putting em back there do you?
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 2:19am
Ranse, if you can't smile for yourself, I thanks you for smiling for me...
I am back at the point that the only good coyote or wolf is a good and dead coyote or wolf, along with dead mangie foxes and stinky skunks and gophers and.....
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 9:56am

Are Coyote Furs worth the trouble of pelting one out?

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:17am
I doubt if there worth much but our oldest son wants one to have a full mount done!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 10:49am
Up at the farm I hear them yelping nightly. My trail cameras usually have 90% deer, 5% coyote and 5% of everything else that walks by. Still waiting for Big Foot.😜
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Ranse View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 12:46pm
Ted, folks,
I will say after the first shot, the coyote did run straight at me for a second or two. It had to have got at least fifty yards closer. Then it turned toward the woods, so I had a nice broad side shot. I did use the scope, but didn't exactly take aim. I just led the coyote kind of like shooting skeet. I was really surprised to see it fall. I stepped off the distance. I had to guess about were I was standing, but it was approximately 160 yards. So there was some luck involved.

Since the decline of quail, I really don't hunt anymore. I've tried turkey hunting a few times but wasn't very successful at it. I decided I enjoyed seeing wildlife more than killing it. Even though I don't kill for pleasure anymore, I must confess, I did receive pleasure from killing this coyote.

Edited by Ranse - 13 Jan 2019 at 2:29pm
Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 1:40pm
Ranse, about 5 years ago the coyotes were thick that summer. Started carrying a Winchester 30-30. One day I was round baling  and I see one running across the field. Threw it in neutral, he's jumping over the windrows about 200' out. I got him, guts were falling out and he crashed. When I was done I checked, and it was dead. I don't know if they eat their own, but the next day it was gone. I've seen them going around the fields checking the windrows for mice, no rifle w/ me of course. 
  Tim 
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
Clay View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 8:33am
If a person is not a good shot or is against shooting coyotes, there is an alternative.
 Place an ACME catalog and some ACME products in the pasture.  The coyotes will try the ACME stuff and that should take care of the problem.  
I know it works because I saw it on TV Saturday morning info-mmercials.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 11:44am
Clay Iv'e seen em too, but I can't find a catalog.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by JC(WI) JC(WI) wrote:

Ranse, if you can't smile for yourself, I thanks you for smiling for me...
I am back at the point that the only good coyote or wolf is a good and dead coyote or wolf, along with dead mangie foxes and stinky skunks and gophers and.....
I have to agree. Until our Jack Russells learned what a skunk would do to them, it was no fun at all giving them a bath in Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover at 10pm...
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:04pm
Rance, if you want more practice come on up, plenty here. I'll even furnish the lead!
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2019 at 10:46pm
Ranse, that shot comes instinctively because you used the rifle like a shotgun.  Nice goin!!  If you THINK about the shot, you'll miss almost every time.

Tim, with a 30-30, that was a GREAT shot...200 is a long ways with that little brush gun.  Now if you were using the new soft tips, that's different.  I've made paper plates out to 275.  They are and always be the most FUN gun!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic