This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Country Of Manufacture ??

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Country Of Manufacture ??
    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 3:35pm
Purchased a CARHART belt recently but honestly didn't look at the tag to see where it was made at the time. Today as I was sitting in a porta-pot at the jobsite, there was an inscription on the "underside" of the holes-side of the belt(true leather)that says MADE IN GUATEMALA. My question is, is there any one country of manufacture that you guys would prefer NOT to buy the product from ??
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:05pm
WE help out a LOT of countries by setting up some trade deal so they got SOMETHING TO DO, instead of shoot each other or TRACK to the USA border... In return we buy their GOODS to keep them in the business... If they can build something as COMPLICATED as a BELT, i guess im OK with that !! Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:13pm
Seems that if Carhart is happy with the product, then it must be high quality.  I don't pay attention to where anything is made.  If I need it, I buy it when I find it.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2020 at 4:41pm
All of the stuff I use is made in Chimna. --- If I had any say in the matter,  they could fall off the 3 gorges dam an drown, but since I am stuck with their junk, don't matter what I prefer since nothing is made in the USA anymore.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:07am
I absolutely refuse to buy anything from Viet Nam. 
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:29am
'country of manufacture' is misleading as stuff gets  truly made ,here and there, then ASSEMBLED somewhere else... so the consumer really has no idea the true 'country of manufacture'...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:54pm
Yes, China named a town USA and made products and it's stamped made in USA
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by festus51 festus51 wrote:

I absolutely refuse to buy anything from Viet Nam. 

I know it's a sensitive topic, but may I ask why? Honest question, I was going to say that virtually every article of clothing I have EVER had that was of excellent quality and the best-wearing, bar none, were from Vietnam when I checked the label(s). Especially work clothes and boots. I'm still wearing, every day (YES I WASH THEM LOL!!!), work clothes I bought in 2006. Nothing wearing out, nothing faded, perfect cut... Work boots (Rocky* brand) made in Vietnam, going on my 4th year with them and just starting to lose stitching (about 1/2" long) on one of them. Even with USA made boots, the boot wears out before the laces need replacing.
But, your post made me hesitate. So, I'm just wondering. Thank you!
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:34pm
But for me, NOTHING from China! TOTAL GARBAGE!!! I have had 3 pairs of boots (ok so I'm a slow learner lol) from China, NONE made it more than 3 months and they were a PAIN to wear every day. And I am a hypocrite because some stuff I DO get from Harboring A Fugitive er, Harbor Freight.
I need more than 200 characters for my "signature." I'd love to see that changed to 250!
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:48pm
Timcny   I spent almost two years there when we were killing and being killed by the Cong and NVA.    I will have to admit that I still harbor ill feelings towards them.   To me that means the 58,000 that got killed for no good reason. And now we trade with them.  Just makes me sick.   I have to live with it till I die.
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:03pm
You're right, absolutely, and I'll defend your right to your stand on that. I turned 18 in 1976, the war was over (not really but we were gone from there) and so was the draft. My father drove me down on my 18th birthday (it was actually the next day, March 8th; March 7th, 1976 was a Sunday) to sign up for Selective Service and we were informed that it wasn't required, but I could feel free to enlist if I wanted to. That's a story for another time, though... But my 2 oldest brothers DID serve, and I thank God they are both still with us today.

But with respect, if I may, I see it this way - the Germans and Japanese slaughtered many times more of our men, and today we're allies. And there were/are countless (former) South Vietnamese that loved America and Americans, were grateful for our (YOUR) sacrifice and support, and felt betrayed and abandoned when we left. I tend to think of them when I buy items from Vietnam. I do understand, though, for whatever that is worth. And above all I thank you for all that you sacrificed. "Thank you" is impossible to convey my gratitude to you and all who served. But indeed, I do thank you and hope you know how it is meant.
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:40pm
Yes Tim I appreciate your thank you.   WWII did not happen to me so I often have wondered how the WWII vets thought about trading with former enemies.   But VN happened to me ,  I guess I will never change my feelings towards them. 

Edited by festus51 - 02 Mar 2020 at 6:41pm
TimCNY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimCNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 6:55pm
No need to... I do hope that time will bring you peace about it all.
marion View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 7:51pm
I can almost picture somebody in porta-potty looking around for something to ponder on, but, had you already read all the philosophical writing on the walls and then studied on your belt, sounds cold to be in one in Michigan but at least your out of wind.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:01pm
30 years ago i worked for a company that competed with Komatsu heavy equip from Japan... One of the VPs was 65 years old and was a Fighter Pilot in the south pacific in WWII ..... It was a well know FACT that you could NOT say the word Komatsu or Japan in his presence.... He would turn red and heart beat race ......Must have had to tough in the war... I never got the REAL story.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:14pm
tadams...that was japan that named their new town USA. I was looking in the store for sum walleye for supper...read on the package of fresh caught Alaskan walleye that it was a product of Vietnam! PffffT!
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by festus51 festus51 wrote:

Timcny   I spent almost two years there when we were killing and being killed by the Cong and NVA.    I will have to admit that I still harbor ill feelings towards them.   To me that means the 58,000 that got killed for no good reason. And now we trade with them.  Just makes me sick.   I have to live with it till I die.

First thank you for your service. One of my grandfathers was a POW in Nazi Germany the other was a Marine and was in Iwo Jima. Growing up I was taught to never ask or say anything about the war to either one of them. I was often confused why the Marine was against anything from Japan. But I dismissed it as I grew up. I read James Bradley’s Fly Boys and honestly felt sick to my stomach for buying a Kubota seriously. I was so upset and for a moment I could almost understand why Grandpa felt the way he did. So in retrospect it is your right to feel the way you do and I can understand it and respect you for that. As a side note before he passed my POW grandfather did take one afternoon to talk to me about the war and the camps he was in and how he almost starved to death. I remember he would always clean his plate when eating meals and never wasted any food. Didn’t mean to stray off topic like I did just wanted Festus to know how I felt and that I understand .
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2020 at 1:47am
Thank you Red Bank.  I am glad you got to talk to your grandfather before he passed.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic