This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corn pickibg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corn pickibg
    Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:02am
Got started picking last night. Had the 200 hooked to the new idea 323 everything seemed to go smooth for the first evening. Has anyone else started picking yet and if so how's your progress coming? I'm going to try and get the wife to take some pictures today or tomorrow so I can post them. If anyone else has some pictures of their outfits in action let's see them.
Sponsored Links

ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 10:42am
Got the club corn done the other day, --have 14 rows of my own here to do---planted late, not dry enough yet to keep in wagon til used.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 6:28pm
Keep getting double post?? Can’t delete from my phone.

Edited by allisbred - 10 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 6:28pm
Just finished today 15.5-17.5 moisture. We had a dry year, yields were poor. Didn’t take a picture this year, here is one from last year. 323 NI single row picker that has had a few mods to help handle heavy yields hooked to a 185.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2020 at 7:04pm
Picked all day . Got 6 acres done . Corn is yielding fair, 120 to 130 bushel. Still too thick for my mounted picker. I think they made a under drive transmission for a wc. Wish it would fit my wd 45. Spend the whole day with my hand on the hand clutch. I like the visibility of a mounted picker but I could do without the dirt and the noise
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 8:02am
Great Uncle's New Idea would overload above 60b/a, average for his fields years ago was 40b/a and did fine at that level.  Seems not all so long ago we were stocking ear corn in the crib beside the barn, and yet still seems as ancient history.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:31am
I found that these old pickers wont handle todays corn ----- stalks are different and break off and plug the picker so its bred for combines only---dont matter how much stalk goes in them.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 9:59am
We went back to a single row years ago for ear corn. Changed the sprocket for the elevator, added more husking fingers, put the stalk kit on, keep the snapping rolls welded, and 11.00-20’s to get over soft ground. Pick in 2nd high on a 185 with 200 plus corn, 3rd in lighter corn. This is the 3rd one that has been set up like this and the NI picker in my opinion is the best out there for volume and dehusking.
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2020 at 1:38pm
Todays corn stalks will stobb a tire if hit right,, oh how the times are changing ! 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 7:05am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Picked all day . Got 6 acres done . Corn is yielding fair, 120 to 130 bushel. Still too thick for my mounted picker. I think they made a under drive transmission for a wc. Wish it would fit my wd 45. Spend the whole day with my hand on the hand clutch. I like the visibility of a mounted picker but I could do without the dirt and the noise

120-130 Bushels, by that, you mean bushels of whole ears?
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:58am
T-bone that was probably what the yield monitor was showing. Wink

My dad always said the A gleaners had the best bin full sensors, when the bin was full the grain ran over the front right down the crack of your azz. LOL

Edited by Kansas99 - 12 Oct 2020 at 9:00am
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
clarkscreek View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:44am
What is the stalk kit and what does it consist of?
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 9:46am
Originally posted by Kansas99 Kansas99 wrote:

T-bone that was probably what the yield monitor was showing. Wink

My dad always said the A gleaners had the best bin full sensors, when the bin was full the grain ran over the front right down the crack of your azz. LOL

By yield monitor, I'm picturing an old guy in bibs and a straw hat at the end of the field, saying, "Yep...looks like about 120-130 bushel crop. Spttt."
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by clarkscreek clarkscreek wrote:

What is the stalk kit and what does it consist of?
   This is a set of paddles that helps pull out stalks and feeds to trash rollers that get through the snapping rolls and installed in 1st elevator, sold as an option kit. Helps to minimize what trash gets fed though husking bed. I can take a picture when I get out to the farm if you would like. Kevin
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 4:52pm
That would be great. I think I may have seen what your talking about on the two row pickers but haven't seen that on the one row before.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2020 at 8:50pm
Actually no bib overalls, but he does have a straw hat. Turned 88 last week.
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 12:56am
hi all just like to know what do you do with the corn cob after they are picked i am guessing dry the cob and shell them and feed them to cattle .we don't grow much corn here in nz most of the maize here is cut for silage and feed to milking cows
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clarkscreek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 1:30am
I grind the whole ear and mix it with soybean meal or dried distillers grain. Use it for creep feed and finishing and giving the cows a little extra through the winter.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 3:06am
ya'll ain't run the most miserable mounted picker until you've run an old "2MH" picker! they would pick anything and as fast as you dare went...but the driver paid the price!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:18am
Originally posted by dr p dr p wrote:

Actually no bib overalls, but he does have a straw hat. Turned 88 last week.

Nice!

So....for my actual question???
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:22am
Up until about 4 years ago, we would pick ear corn and grind the whole ear, mixed with oats, minerals, molasses, and mineral salt for grain for feeding the steers. Our old crib was getting in rough shape, floor undermined and caving in, holding water, would rot a lot of corn. I was getting plenty tired of shoveling too. Now I used shell corn for the grind, and I throw in either some wheat straw or some lower grade hay as filler.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:30am
The last crib of ear corn I measured had 1 1/2 feet of shelled corn in the bottom of the crib. Corn now is hybrid for shelling not picking. I have shovelled my share of ear corn! For a farmer with cattle ear corn was a cheap way of storing and cattle can utilize the cob.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:33am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

The last crib of ear corn I measured had 1 1/2 feet of shelled corn in the bottom of the crib. Corn now is hybrid for shelling not picking. I have shovelled my share of ear corn! For a farmer with cattle ear corn was a cheap way of storing and cattle can utilize the cob.

Yep! Our seed guy, several years ago, said something to the effect of "OH! You're picking some of this?" And he had a hybrid he offered that was still more/less conducive to being picked for various reasons. That of course is gone now, and I don't miss it!
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 7:43pm
I went and weighed a wagon today. One half acre gave me 5120 pounds net. So that is 5 tons per acre ear corn. Went and found my old Cornell ag text and that comes out to about 130 bushels shell corn per acre. Should have just trusted the old man!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 6:40am
Thanks, interesting! I always kind of wondered how it converted back when we picked, but I never looked it up. Thanks again.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Thanks, interesting! I always kind of wondered how it converted back when we picked, but I never looked it up. Thanks again.
   There is a formula that my father has had in the shop based from weight with a moisture deduction. It works out close to what what we have measured with combine.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 8:08am
Originally posted by allisbred allisbred wrote:

Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

There is a formula that my father has had in the shop based from weight with a moisture deduction. It works out close to what what we have measured with combine.

Yes, I would have imagined so! Back when we picked....We would grow a field of corn, chop most of it, Dad would leave a guesstimated amount on the edge of the field to dry down and pick based on how good the corn looked while chopping. We never ran out of corn to grind for feed and we never sold much. When I began trying to grow the farm and grow more cash crops, I began to ask to see where we were as a baseline. Things changes so fast.....never got around to that detail. Man what a year.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 11:01am
shameless------I had a 2mh-d on a super md diesel and you are right about them---good old pickers!! lol!
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by clarkscreek clarkscreek wrote:

That would be great. I think I may have seen what your talking about on the two row pickers but haven't seen that on the one row before.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2020 at 7:17pm
This is another picture of the assembly from the outside.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic