This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corn picker 95% done! (Pics) question on paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Harvey/pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harvey/pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 10:58pm
 A man gave me a picker like that one time. When I went to get it he said he'd changed his mind that I was too young to sit in all that dirt & dust and ruin my health. I think one of his kids wanted it or he'd sold it...Harvey
Sponsored Links

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 6:33am
Thanks from me too Don.  I can get them on now. As stated, I wouldn't paint it either!  Looks too good.  Also as stated, THEY ARE DANGEROUS!!  I have a few cousins and good friends who are missing digits and limbs because of these.  There are NO shortcuts.
Ted
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Richard View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2011 at 8:24am
It was my job to get the picker on the tractor every fall and take it off when the harvest was finished.  I loved picking corn with that outfit.  It was mounted on a WD.  
Pickin-Nick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pickin-Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 7:53am
I am drouling all over place looking at this fine piece of machinery.  Wish it was mine!!!!!
B,IB,C,WC,WD,WD45,D17 ALL-CROP 66
Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by skip(MO) skip(MO) wrote:

i don't know don, sounds like the color bothers you a little or you wouldn't be asking about paint. if it bothered me, and if it wasn't to resell, i'd probably paint. but if it doesn't bother you and you're just asking what others would do....well i think the majority say to leave it.

X2
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2011 at 11:03am

Gary, I guess at first I kinda thought I would repaint the shields.

I think they are ok though, I could end up repainting until the whole dang thing is the same shade of orange, but again, its just a hunk of cast iron and sheet metal. I am callin her GOOD! lol

Edited by Don(MI) - 26 May 2011 at 11:04am
PickinNick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickinNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:25am
anyone have one to sell?
Proud Owner of IB, B, C (2) 1937 WC'S ONE ON RUBBER, ONE ON STEEL, (3) WD'S, (2) WD-45'S, D17, 60 ALLCROP, 5 PLOWS
LaJaMe View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaJaMe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:45pm
Dad always had one on the farm and was put on every fall.  Brings back a lot of good memories.  As others, I remember riding in the wagon also.  I vote, as it is .  By the way, tractor looks great.

PickinNick View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickinNick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 1:31pm
my grandfather farmed 160 acres with a WD and a '45 when I was very young. spent a lot of time on the tool box "my seat" during field work. I want one to use at picker reunion's in the Midwest.
Proud Owner of IB, B, C (2) 1937 WC'S ONE ON RUBBER, ONE ON STEEL, (3) WD'S, (2) WD-45'S, D17, 60 ALLCROP, 5 PLOWS
BenGiBoy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenGiBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 2:09pm
I would not paint the side shields unless I was painting the whole picker. my 0.02.  Smile

Looks really nice though, I wish I had one. 
'39 Model B
Tractors are cheaper than girls, remember that!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic