This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Corn picker 95% done! (Pics) question on paint

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Corn picker 95% done! (Pics) question on paint
    Posted: 22 May 2011 at 4:40pm
Here are a couple pics.....

Heres my question, would you repaint the engine side shields, or leave them alone? The rest of the picker won't be re-painted (Except air cleaner top and front mesh grill screen).
Sponsored Links

Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:09pm
Don, Personally...I would leave everything just the way it is now! It looks great! Mighty fine looking WD there,Don. We need to see it in action later this fall picking corn!  Thanks for posting the pics!  Rick
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:15pm
SHEESH!!!!! and to think they set these up every fall.......
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
JimWenigOH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimWenigOH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:20pm
Looks great as it is!!  What did you use on the metal to give it that shine?  I remember riding in the wagon while Dad was running one of these.  Lets go pickin.
Rick View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:23pm
I think Don's intention is to leave it on the tractor from now on and never take it back off! LOL!
Jim...I don't know what Don used to shine the picker up with,but I always use WD40...it'll shine things up in a hurry and last a good while as well.  Rick
AaronSEIA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronSEIA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:26pm
Dang, thats sharp!  I'd leave it the way it is myself.  Just wondering, how hard is it to steer?  The one picture looks like you are really working the wheel.
AaronSEIA
Chuck(ONT) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck(ONT) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 5:38pm
I wonder how long the headlights will last, they look like the first thing to go.
Never take life too seriously.

Nobody gets out alive anyway!

1C 1 WD45 1 AC180
norm[ind] View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote norm[ind] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 6:16pm
  never took out a lite   we always moved them in as far as we could  wore 3 of them out
  ended up using a 190 on a d-17d
BILLP-SE-MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 6:24pm
Looks great Don, I woudn't paint anything.
Have a good one. BILL P
Dipstick In View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dipstick In Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 7:55pm
We always had either Oliver or New Idea pull type pickers and you were some distance from all the dust and trash except when the wind blew wrong. I would think after a day of running an AC your eyes and nose would be full of dirt and dust. It would be hard to get away from it.
You don't really have to be smart if you know who is!
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by JimWenigOH JimWenigOH wrote:

Looks great as it is!!  What did you use on the metal to give it that shine?  I remember riding in the wagon while Dad was running one of these.  Lets go pickin.

Rick was right on, My dad used wd40 on the metal, makes it look nice for awhile. Thats him in the picture driving. It does not steer hard at all! Alot easier than I thought it would. Rick, you were also right, that thing is not coming off!! Kind of like a DH at a major league baseball game, its a designated "Picker tractor" now! lol
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by BILLP-SE-MI BILLP-SE-MI wrote:

Looks great Don, I woudn't paint anything.
Have a good one. BILL P

Thanks Bill, just trying to make up my mind on painting the side sheilds or not. Still don't know.

Here is another pic of the drivers seat, It really is a pain to get on now!! But its worth it!

Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:29pm

I know this picture is small, but this painting is something I seen as a kid. I need to buy it now! I always thought this was the coolest Allis painting I have ever saw!
Auntwayne View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Auntwayne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:30pm
Do not paint something that is an attachment, tractor is tractor, implement is implement !!!
Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 9:36pm
Nice looking unit Don,I can smell the freshly picked corn now.We had a pull type New Idea picker.It was all the D-17 could do to pull the picker and a full load of corn in a muddy field.Later the D-19 had no problems.I would think the tractor would have an easier time pulling a full wagon with the picker mounted.I know the dust and dirt would be bad sitting in the middle.Didn't most farmers pick corn in morning when dew is still on so husking rolls can husk ears much better.An old farmer I worked for picked in morning and cut beans in afternoon.
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
skip(MO) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 10:27pm
i don't know don, sounds like the color bothers you a little or you wouldn't be asking about paint. if it bothered me, and if it wasn't to resell, i'd probably paint. but if it doesn't bother you and you're just asking what others would do....well i think the majority say to leave it.
CBL95 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CBL95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 11:15pm
how do you guys like those pickers? grandpa said they bought one new with a dc case and took it back 2 days later and bought a new idea and used it for 20 years and loved it. they said it clogged up constantly couldnt go a full round with out getting plugged up. even had the dealer come and look at and run it and he said to bring it back in and he would trade him even on the new idea. 
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 2:10am
wow!! wish dad had one of those when we picked in the ear! we had a 2MH IH picker...took 2 tubes of grease to grease every day, was a %$^&$&%#$%^^& to put on and take off! whew!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 7:57am
Looks very coooool Don!!  I like it! Love them side shields. I have a couple nice sets of those ma'self!
craigreavley View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote craigreavley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:41am
We still have a farmall 400 with a 2 row IH picker on it. It has been 20 years since we picked with it, but it did work good. As kids we rode in the wagons as the ears came falling in. It was a dusty ride. Even had an M catch on fire in the field with a 2 row ear picker on. It was an all day job to put the picker on or off the tractor, It was easier to leave it on one, and buy another to use. That probably why it is still on the 400 in the back of the shed.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:56am
Very nice I wouldent paint it!
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 10:23am
If had a few acres I was thinking of planting some corn, get a corn picker to pick it in the fall and put it in a crib. Then come next summer pull an All Crop up to the crib and shell it out, put it in a bin, and burn it in a corn burner to heat the place.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
redline View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 10:38am
I will add my 2 cents worth here-don't change a thing. It looks great. Just be super careful with that machine. It is a dangerous toy and we have all heard the horror stories. I hope you can get some action pictures this fall!
If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done!
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 11:14am
Thanks for the comments!
I was looking for a very original WD before I bought this one, just couldn't seem to find one close to the state of Michigan. Someone sprayed it again (TSC orange) before I got it. Probably will just re paint the air cleaner cap and front mesh screen now, and call it good.

We have a tractor drive coming up, and I am taking this in it. My dad said I need to take some ear corn, put some in the elevator, and hang some ears off the back chute with monofilament. I like that idea, and I might even hang an American Flag off the back for kicks, will be interesting I will post some pics of that!

Edited by Don(MI) - 23 May 2011 at 11:14am
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 12:01pm
Dad had one that used to put on and off his WC every fall. He says it didn't take him long to mount and he always did it by himself. He also had an F20 with an IH picker that he never took off cause it was a huge pain. The IH picker would go through more corn but would leave a yellow streak behind each row. The AC picker did a good job but he called it a sunshine picker as it didn't like moist stalks. That and the WC was geared to fast for the larger yeilds he was getting in the 60's and 70's. The Gleaner E fixed all that and an Oliver pull type for the little ear corn he still harvested after his picker and WC burned in a shed fire in 76' and the F20 burned in a grass fire when Mom and Dad were off visiting relatives in ND about 1971.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 2:14pm
The ole Woods Bros picked clean in the morning and the mounted AC picked clean in the afternoon....that's what dad said.I was too young to care.
Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 2:30pm
Don,

Can you show a picture of how this bracket is used with a mounted picker:

1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
AaronH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:18pm
Don, you are making me want to put a picker on one of my WD'S. Looks great! I think we all want to see her pick some corn this fall. Dad had a farmall 400 and mtd NI  picker. I loved picking corn, when he would let me. seems it was one of his favorites too.  Btw.. looks like ya need a left hand brake cover... lol. 
Don(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 8:31pm
Aaron, ya got that right! Thats the last of the "cobble jobs" I am taking off the tractor!

Jeff, I took these pictures tonight for ya. You have the RH bracket, The one in the pictures is a LH. That bracket bolts right under the rear axle, and actually holds the picker "up". The stud shaft that you can't see in the pictures, slides into that bracket. A pin then slips in the other side to lock it into place. This allows the entire picker undercarriage to "pivot" on 2 studs for up and down height control. Hope that makes sense.

These other pictures are for Ted, this is how the grill screen, and side shields are attached.

Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(WD45-SATX-TN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2011 at 9:38pm
Thanks for taking and posting those pictures Don. Exactly what I wanted to see.

Jeff
1954 WD45 NF "Iron Tater"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic