This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cordless Frame Nailer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cordless Frame Nailer
    Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:01am
  Howdy,
Looks like I am going to be the one building on my new land i purchased. Labor has gone out the roof in my thinking. So getting started now for spring building. Need to know about cordless frame nailers ? Sure nice without the hoses! They the way to go?

Thanks Kurzy
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 8:26am
I have a Bostitch. Don't hate it but the igniter seems to be high maintenance. Get two batteries if you want to move along at a good pace.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 9:55am
I am a trim carpenter who had most of his tools stolen in late 2005!  I looked into cordless for all, but they did not make some of the stuff I use in cordless so figured if I need a compressor they should all be air!  That being said, where I work now the other guys share Pasload cordless trim guns.  They are a real pain-at least when multiple users use them-never know if the fuel or the battery is the problem!  I recommend you get one that only uses one source for power, as it will eliminate alot of frustration!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:03am
Tried a couple of Hoseless nailers in trim and framing/roofing, cared nothing for most, high maintenance, expensive cartridges, just clumsy to me, hose is close to enraging but can manage a length of hose more than trying to swap a cartridge hanging off a rafter or truss.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 10:13am
I have a few Dewalt battery powered trim guns. Very expensive and slow. I use them specifically for punch list work and not for production. If the gas/battery powered guns were any good and affordable to shoot we’d all be using them. A couple guys at work have went entirely cordless but end up going back to pneumatic starting with framing guns.
Just my humble opinion.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 12:29pm
Got a Paslode. Don't hate it don't love it. It's handy to not have to drag a hose but sometimes you have to finish driving the nails up.

Edited by thendrix - 07 Dec 2019 at 1:38pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2019 at 7:00pm
Has anyone tried the Ryobi 18 volt electric trim nailer?  looks like it would be handy as a shirt pocket, fer tacking stuff together, till you can get a heavier nail or screw into it...Wink

[TUBE]wZFKZnq9vSA[/TUBE]

Edited by DiyDave - 07 Dec 2019 at 7:03pm
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:37am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Has anyone tried the Ryobi 18 volt electric trim nailer?  looks like it would be handy as a shirt pocket, fer tacking stuff together, till you can get a heavier nail or screw into it...Wink

[TUBE]wZFKZnq9vSA[/TUBE]

A coworker uses the Royobi battery trim guns. A hot battery is a must. They seem good for the price.
Homeowner grade.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:10am
In my opinion, cordless guns are IDEAL to carry into a house for repair/small trim projects ( trim guns ) . A cordless framing gun has it's place like nailing in "after-thought studs/backer boards or small yard barn framing projects. I would never dream of framing an entire house with a cordless gun . by the time you buy all of the fuel cells/spare batteries,you could buy a quality compressor and hoses. You  can't inflate tires or run a blow gun to blow out tools with cordless guns Wink
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:34am
my thoughts....
There's a reason the guys who build houses for a living use air guns, well several. Aside from quick, efficient, easy to use they are CHEAP to run and WORK. Withstood the 'test of time'.
if, IF, the airless guns WERE overall better, you'd see them at every jobsite and NO compressors....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 3:00pm
I might have to say, it a lot depends on what you are "really" doing.  If paying for labor, go cordless for some things, like in the air stuff.  Go air for the production lower stuff.  Far less maintenance on air tools than the cordless. 
As for me, I have both Paslode impulse trim and framing gun.  Have air in framing, coil trim, trim, brad, staple, and so forth, to many to mention. 
I do have the Ryobi 18 ga. air stick as well. It is fantastic for my needs as well, with no maintenance or issues for about a year now, using it at least once a week.  Great for a room of trim, and out the door!!  BUT as said a fresh charged battery is a must.
Kurzy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kurzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:28pm

Howdy, 
Thank you all for the info on cordless frame nailers! Now that I have my answer could I use my 1 hp compressor or do you need one of those special compressors which look like a pancake or double tank jobs?

Kurzy
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 4:31pm
Check the Volume on those pancake units and at what pressure, match or exeed that and good to go.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 5:00pm
It doesn’t take a big compressor unless you’re nailing down subfloor or roof decking a hundred miles an hour.
I run 2 framing guns off of a 1hp 4 gallon pancake.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by Kurzy Kurzy wrote:

Howdy, 
Thank you all for the info on cordless frame nailers! Now that I have my answer could I use my 1 hp compressor or do you need one of those special compressors which look like a pancake or double tank jobs?

Kurzy

Twin "torpedo" tanks, 1 1/2 HP minimum would suit you well (oil crankcase). The "pancakes" are oil-less and PROHIBITIVLEY LOUD !! Hitachi would be my choice (which I own/run) is available at Menards for less than $180 "here".
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic