This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

cook shack walls

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: cook shack walls
    Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 11:47pm
gonna put laminate wood flooring up on the walls of my cook shack to "pretty" it up some. any tips or tricks on doing this? the old lady.....oooops....i mean the loving wife bought me a BOSCH chop saw a couple years ago, i notice that it can't be set at a straight cut (90 degrees), WTF? have tried numerous things to get it to saw the 90 degree setting and it just won't hold any settings. i may hafta go buy a new slider chop saw to do this. PfffffT!
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 6:26am
Maybe hang it on the bias or a herringbone pattern?
Is there a stop on the miter saw you are not seeing? Hard to believe a new saw can't at least square. Specially Bosch.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 7:01am
'some adjustment required'....there 'should' be a section in the manual to SQUARE the saw....funny really, the 'contractors' mitresaw is 'preset at 89*'...any wonder WHY he always has a tube of caulking for crown molding corner joinery ?????
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 4:09pm
flooring is made with a tongue and groove type install. Most is not nailed to the floor.

When putting on the wall, i like to  get a box of 2 inch finish nails.  Put the first row of board down with the TONGUE up and  drill hole/ install nail thru the FACE of the board an inch below the tongue... Now take the second board and set on top, pushing the groove over the tongue of the first... then drill and the FACE of the second board and install finish nail into the stud..... You dont really see the small nail heads. Most blend into the board finish.... This is a good way to install flooring on the wall.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:18am
Pretty slick Steve!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:19am
thanks Steve! these boards are not very thick...a 1/4 inch maybe. i bought a air brad nailer to do this, i gotta practice to get the right whammy on the nails yet. i can't find any more adjustments on that blamed saw! may hafta drill a hole and put a screw(s) in it. was bought on sale so couldn't take it back, the company is no help. i'll still use it for other things....like cutting smoker wood! 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:25am
I have one of the older saws. I think My 90° setting is on the back of the saw. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow. I've got several deliveries to fill and make tomorrow, hope I remember to look.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 8:51am
yea shammers... 1/4 inch thick is about right.. Most of them "boards" are like masonite with epoxy imbedded in them... My "nail gun" is my left hand and it dont drive nails thru that hard board without bending 50% of them... Practice on a scrap piece and see if your gun will shoot a dozen nails into the board and SEAT them............ thats why i need the drill.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 10:59am
Whenever I bought that stuff they always told me that you have to put that matting behind it so don't forget that!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 11:03am
I don't see why you would have to do that for a wall.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 11:13am
Is the saw off on the bevel or angle?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:35pm
felt or foam mat is for cushion and eliminate noise ( scraping) when installed on the FLOOR.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 7:05pm
Shameless, arnt ya gonna wait till after the move to upgrade the kitchen?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 1:47am
Thad...like i wanna true up and end of a board that broke....bevel? i can get a 90 degree cut on the up/down cut. Lars...if i gotta move, it's going with me, just gotta slide it off the deck onto a trailer/truck. a flatbed tow truck will haul it.  john/Steve...there is a piece of foam glued to the bottom of each piece. i see where it says to put glue on the back side, but it would be glued to plastic, and i'm afraid expansion and contraction would make the wall wavey? plus melt the plastic.
tomNE View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomNE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:13am
the better quality of the matting, is something i'd recommend.   i put in the cheap stuff and ran out.  the installer had some better stuff on his truck, we finished with it.  after we finished i noticed the difference right away!

AC from the start of my families farming career till the end!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 6:57pm
i thought about that bevel thing all day, i've never used that term before, and i even took shop in school! guess i musta missed that part! we always called it angles no matter which way the boards were cut! so anyways...when i lay a board down flat on the saw table and want to cut it in any length i just pull the saw down and cut it, but it isn't a true 90 degree cut. PffffT! i may hafta go gits me a slider saw. double PfffffT! Tom...you mean the foam backing on the boards?   
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 7:56pm
Say you’re cutting a 1x6 off square. You lay it down flat like you say.
Is the 6” wide cut out of square or is the 1” cut out of square?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 11:53pm
the 6 inch
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 6:15am
Ok Shameless that’s the angle. The fence and the positive stops control the squareness of that cut. Most saws have slotted holes in the fence for adjustment.
I once had a Mikita slider that quit cutting square. The pin that goes in the positive stop mysteriously got bent. Replaced it and all was fine.
The saw should have a knob to tighten between stops to hold it in place. You can also use this feature if necessary.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 6:41am
unplug saw..
first get a  KNOWN good 'square' square......
2nd, lightly unscrew the screws holding  the left 'fence' on the saw, so fence can move around a bit.
3rd  lower and lock blade down, place square against blade
4th move fence so that it touches the square.
5th tighten the fence screws, recheck that fence IS square to blade.

plugin saw, cut a board at 45*. flip and make a 'corner', check with square. if  setup right, it'll be a 90* corner and fir the square exactly. If not, do it again.

One trick I learned was to put TWO flat washers under the screws. That was the screw turns and doesn't  want to twist/pull the fence.

When left fence is square, raise saw, loosen right fence, place level between fences, moce right  fence to be flush with level( level is good straight edge), tighten screws, done

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 11:22pm
thanks...i'll look it over again. the screw handle in front won't hold it. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 9:29pm
Jay's got it.  All you need is a GOOD square, follow his steps and bingo, you've got it!
Have you considered putting sheet rock up first?  That'll take care of the waviness.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 11:23pm
i HATE sheet rock! this laminate flooring is good looking and should accent the walls really nice. when we finish with the cood shack, hopefully we have enough left over to do one wall in our dining room....to cover the "sheet rock"! if/when we ever build a new house, there won't be any of that drywall chit in it! 
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 7:06am
Tell us how you really feel about sheet rock. LOL LOL

I don't like the crap either, finishing a basement room now, bought some cedar fence pickets on sale for the ceiling and interior walls, the outer concrete walls are painted so I guess that's my dry wall. Wink

I will say sheet rock would have been cheaper but pi$$ on that!  ruff cut cedar even makes me look like a good carpenter. Big smile
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 11:59pm
You guys,,, I just said to use sheet rock so he wouldn't have that wavy effect in the walls.  It's great for  that kind of thing and also deadens the sound, so you can play your stereo just about as loud as you want.  Start with Patsy Cline, Charlie Pride, Faron Young, Johnny Cash, Eddie Arnold, George, Loretta, Tammy, Connie, Waylon, Willie, Merle, Conway,,,,,,you gits the idee.....  Oh yeah, you gotta have sum beer for visitors,,, and sum snack food...  Git er ready buddy!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic