This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Container purchase

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Container purchase
    Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 12:09am
Anybody buy a refrigerated shipping container. We'll need something next fall to store our empty honey supers. If we freeze them for a while it will keep any wax moth bugs from destroying the honey comb the bees have constructed inside the hives. There is a place about 25 miles from here that sells containers. Old gal and #2 son are headed for Ill tomorrow to pick up a special forklift to use in the honey business. I may head over there and talk to them. Looks like a 20' unit can be frozen by a 220 volt 3 phase unit that is built into or onto the box. I
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 5:09am
Tom, if you want to go the easy route, buy a reefer can, with a bad reefer, then put an air conditioner unit, with a cool-bot unit in it, attached.  Cool bot tricks the AC unit into running longer, to refrigerate the space.

I built a small refer unit, for a friend's produce wagon, its been running for about 5 seasons, with only 1 AC unit replaced, at about 2-3 years in...Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 5:29pm
That's a great idea. I never heard of those before.
I will buy one for our cool room. In my case I need something that is larger, maybe 8' x 20-40' long for storing the boxes.    
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 5:40pm
Refrigerated van trailers would be a far better choice, have a wrecker or crane service sit on Cribbing Blocking and keep the running gear if ever decide to move it.  Nose Mount Refrigeration units can be mixed operation design just have to look, Diesel engine on road or Electric Standby when at terminal.

Edited by DMiller - 24 Mar 2021 at 5:41pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 6:14pm
My son built a "deer hanging room" in his garage.. Used a house air conditioner ( that has a min temp of 58 degrees) and added "THE KIT" that Dave mentioned.. The air conditioner now goes to 30 degrees and can keep his " freezer room"  cold.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

Tom, if you want to go the easy route, buy a reefer can, with a bad reefer, then put an air conditioner unit, with a cool-bot unit in it, attached.  Cool bot tricks the AC unit into running longer, to refrigerate the space.

I built a small refer unit, for a friend's produce wagon, its been running for about 5 seasons, with only 1 AC unit replaced, at about 2-3 years in...Wink

My question is this, what keeps the unit from pressurizing and choking the fan? As the fan pressurized the box, air would slow or stop moving over the evaporator coils. I think it would work a lot better if there was some sort of ducting from the box back to the input of the AC.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 9:36pm
Lou, it works just like it does in the house. Has to be a WINDOW unit.. Fan on the INSIDE circs inside air... fan on the OUTSIDE cools the OUTSIDE portion.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 10:48pm
Tom, just curious, will moth crystals not work for ya?  I guess that's all I've ever heard of doing.  Are you planning on running it when there's any supers in it during the summer or just after the fall pull when you store them?
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 2:47am
a few dudes i know put the freezer units from semi trailers and mounted them to the outside of their shops, now they can work on stuff and be comfy! they were called thermal king units.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 3:01am
hey Tom...get prices for me on some 20 footers, i'm gonna need about 10 of them this summer! (no fridge types) 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

hey Tom...get prices for me on some 20 footers, i'm gonna need about 10 of them this summer! (no fridge types) 

Since it is hard to figure what you may be planning WinkConfused if it is just to keep you cool LOL ?O'k I see you say no fridge. 

But being how frugal LOL you is , short ones are about 2/3 the price as big ones.  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 12:40pm
shammers.......... there has to be MORE TO THIS STORY !!  Wink
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 5:27pm
Methinks he wants to get the "machine" to work in july!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 4:07am
Steve...i want them for my industrial property, to rent them out as storage units. (untaxable) 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 4:07am
and if i get them all rented, i'll ad 10 more!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:36am
Untaxable eh. . . . 
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:39am
portable, same as a building on skids
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:39am
Oh, property tax....OK, I was thinking the rental income.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:40am
That's not taxable if they pay in cash.Wink
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:44am
Well, ya, lots of folks have fun with that.  Once you've been audited, it's not so much fun anymore.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 6:57am
LOL LOL  Your supposed to burn the evidenceLOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 4:04am
rent on storage units is also non taxable in NE.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:54am
You’re saying if you’re in the storage business, it is tax free income??? I find that very hard to believe, and even if so would still be subject to federal income tax I would think.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 12:03pm
Kansas99. We don't want to use those. We don't want to take a chance on them effecting the taste of the honey. We hope to have between 150 and 200 honey supers in one. Besides, I need to get them outta my machine shed. I can't get my new pickup inside. And I want to divide the machine shed in 1/2 and heat/cool the south half. I use to build things like fireplace surrounds and other things. Even though the arthritis in my hands and back restricts me from doing the things I'd like to, I need another 10-15' of bookshelves in the house. That should be easy, except the dang machine shed is full of bee stuff. They will be used in the fall for sure if I can find a decent container, that should be the only time it needs to run.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 27 Mar 2021 at 12:06pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

rent on storage units is also non taxable in NE.

Wink But uncle Joe still wants his and Hunters cut.LOL And all them others they share with.

Wink I got a neighbor that sells hay by the bale, he takes checks but always cashes them never deposits it O'l uncle Sam's boys looked him over twice and never Wink found his mason jars.LOLLOL He even bought a new green tractor for cash, dealer told him only bring a few $1000 a week as to not set off all the banking systems bells and whistles. Wink But I am sure a character like you knows all that.LOL 

But it seem the cheap containers are over,Wink them crafty China men are hauling them home empty. Just hearing farm exporters are having a had time getting containers to fill to send product out of the USA. 

And for what you are doing knowing the cheap side of you LOL.  At the vineyard we got 40 footer with a roll up door in the other end and a plywood wall inside as the chemicals had to be in there own space. I never tried the wall out (Confused running the 4 wheeler into itWink)but 2 x 4 's sitting in the corrugation of the siding. Screwed only into the wood floor it seem real stable. Then you could rent one a little more or less space by moving the inside wall. Even with the added door never a sign that mouse had made it inside.  

Edited by Ray54 - 27 Mar 2021 at 12:41pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:10pm
T-bone...i'm meaning sales tax. people do not have to pay sales tax when renting storage units in Nebraska.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:55pm
I can believe that, but that’s not at all how things sounded a few posts ago. But ok. Sounds good.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic