This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Connecting rods pinching crank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Connecting rods pinching crank
    Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:33am
Gentlemen I need some help.

I am rebuilding a 1940 B engine and have run into a roadblock. After installing the rod bearings and caps when I approach anything close to spec torque the crank is pinched to the point that i can not rotate the engine. The mains came out perfect but these rods are killing me...

For some background this cam was ground .010 under and I am using .010 under clevite bearings. I am also using a full .010 shim stack (and even used .012 to see if it would give relief). Also the caps and rods were kept together so i am confident that is not my problem. A plastigage. tells me i am right on at the top of the bearing with .002 clearance.

Any idea what i can look for here? I am stumped.
Sponsored Links

Tim NH View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim NH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:44am
  Make sure the shims are back as far as they can go from the bearings.  Tim
1950 WD 1959 D14 1955 WD45 1976 7000 B 207
00transamnh View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:59am
Tim, they are not in contact with the bearings.
Hubnut View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 7:25am
Sometimes plastigauge can give a false result.  Increase the shim in increments and retest.  I bet you find similar clearances and it will unbind the crank.
1940 B "Lucy"
1941 B w/ Woods L59 "Flavia"
1942 B w/ finish mower "Dick"
1941 C w/ 3-point "Maggie"
1947 C SFW w/ L306 "Trixie"
1972 314H
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 7:29am
Make sure the rod caps are turned the same way they were when they were bored. A reversed cap can be as much of a binder as the wrong cap.

Gerald J.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 8:01am
Are the rod bolts match machined with each rod and cap? I have definitely mixed up the bolts at this point. Could that be my problem?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 8:06am
Gerald, the caps on these rods are fool proof. They only go in one way.
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 8:57am
Were the rods resized? Perhaps they are out-of-round. They may have clearance in one direction but not at 90 degrees.

You need to torque the caps onto the rod; then measure with inside micrometer at several locations. Wouldn't hurt to double check the rod journal also.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:01am
Can you check them one at a time to kind of narrow down the offending rod journal?
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:38am
It appears that cyl 1 and 4 are my problem children. 2 and 3 seem to rotate freely.

The engine was seized but the rod bearings appeared to be in a less than catastrophic state.

Going to pull out cyl 1 now and see if i can spot an out of round condition.
Don(MO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don(MO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:51am
Did you read the part in manual about installing rod/piston units, please read it, or just turn the 1 and 4 rods around 90* and check the fit. 
3 WD45's with power steering,G,D15 fork lift,D19, W-Speed Patrol, "A" Gleaner with a 330 corn head,"66" combine,roto-baler, and lots of Snap Coupler implements to make them work for their keep.

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:06am
Common problem actually.

Do you have the ability to measure inside and outside dimensions?  If you measure the crankshaft journals.  Then put two rod caps together with the bearings installed with bolts finger snug to make sure you get a good reading, then measure the inside.  If you have more than .0035 difference you will need to file the ends of the bearing shells.  When you have more than the .0035 or so the bearing ends have no other place to go except in toward the journal.  

How I fit and file when this happens.

Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:15am
I think I am changing my opinion on what you have going on. Do you have the rods all going the same direction?  The rods are off set and need to be installed with the narrow side toward the main bearing caps. If thay are in wrong the rod will be cocked. The problem would be pinched by the above post or in the rods put in the wrong direction.

The picture at the link is how they go.

Edited by Dick L - 15 Oct 2016 at 11:19am
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 11:57am
Figured it out gents! Atleast for cyl 4.

First, the rods were in the right direction, so that wasnt the problem.

After pulling the #4 piston and rod out I did the roundness check and it was WAY out when i torqued it. Oddly enought when untorqued everything seemed to be ok. It was like the entire cap would shift in one direction when torqued.

After some close examination i noticed that on the rod, the mating sirfaces for the bolts had some rolled over material. When torqued the D shaped rod boles would rotate and ride up and over the roled over material. This caused the bolts to cross-corner and drive the rod and cap in opposite directions. A little filing and a good clean and Im back in business.

Edited by 00transamnh - 15 Oct 2016 at 7:07pm
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by 00transamnh 00transamnh wrote:

Figured it out gents! Atleast for cyl 4.

First, the rods were in the right direction, so that wasnt the problem.

After pulling the #4 piston and rod out I did the roundness check and it was WAY out when i torqued it. Oddly enought when untorqued everything seemed to be ok. It was like the entire cap would shift in one direction when torqued.

After some close examination i noticed that on the rod, the maring sirfaces for the bolts had some rolled over material. When torqued the D shaped rod boles would rotate and ride up and over the roled over material. This caused the bolts to cross-corner and drive the rod and cap in opposite directions. A little filing and a good clean and Im back in business.

You lost me on that one but if you have it working all is well.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 6:58pm
Dick, I think he means under bolt head was causing a shifting problem. A good spot face with counterbore would cure it. HTH Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 00transamnh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 7:09pm
/\

Exactly... type-o in my post fixed (typed maring rather than mating)

Edited by 00transamnh - 15 Oct 2016 at 7:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic