This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Condition of crops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Condition of crops
    Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 9:03pm
Guys, wondering about them. The gals at this show we worked yesterday said their Hubby's were running into beans that were rotting in the pods. If the ears of corn are still upright, the shucks have filled up with water and the kernals are sprouting inside the shucks. Elevators are docking them tremendously.    Not so supprising since we had 17" of rain in 1 week approximately 8 weeks ago, then a few weeks later, 10-12" of rain, and several times since we have had several inches since. I see some of the guys are finally getting 3rd cutting of hay rolled up.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2018 at 11:05pm
count your blessings, it could have been "pretty"! so far I think our beans are o-k, cept that most of them are down. the corn is starting to fall over, and the ears have been dropping off the stalks the past 2 weeks (pioneer).
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 8:01am
The corn on our farm was starting to go down in places and dropping ears too. Haven't talked to our renter yet but assume Pioneer corn since he has typically planted a lot of that. They shelled corn here for 2 mornings last week then would drop the heads and run beans in the afternoon. Finished the corn this past Saturday. He has 2 big Deere combines with 12 row heads. Saturday they pulled in the field with 3-4 trucks and a grain cart. Finished 35-40 acres in 3 hours from the time they arrived. Almost nonstop since the grain cart was there. We have had over 23 inches of rain since July 4. here. Not nearly like you guys further west though. Your weather has been really bad. I walked out in the corn field yesterday and found 7 ears of corn that had dropped in about a 12 ft. circle. Hope the whole field wasn't like that. One ear had some white at the base of the kernals that I assume was some kind of mold. Oher ears had some other damage on the tops of the kernals that may have been from insects. What are others  of you seeing?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 8:49am
Finally got into the beans on Saturday. First field I had damage numbers as high as 14.96, have never had one higher than the 2 that is the minimum. That is the field I had to finish with a few bags of 2.5 maturity when the rest was 2.9. A little planter setting screw-up on my part. Those 2.5's were ready to cut a long time ago! Not sure what the dock will be, bet I don't like it!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 8:52am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

count your blessings, it could have been "pretty"! so far I think our beans are o-k, cept that most of them are down. the corn is starting to fall over, and the ears have been dropping off the stalks the past 2 weeks (pioneer).
"Pretty" is less damaging than that much water at this point!

Around here, most corn is coming off before beans, I did that as well.  Can thresh higher moisture corn "better" than tough beans, dry it, then move into beans.  Early season drought followed by late season rains really made for some strange maturing patterns in the beans.  I'll be checking moisture again in beans this week.  Supposed to be nicer weather, we shall see....
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 11:20am
Doesn't surprise me, but around here a few people are chopping corn for feed.  Ears have molded as 'ac hunter' said.  What beans I've seen are not doing too good either.  We've had nothing but rain since July.  Very few dry days.  It don't look good.
Guys were tossing hay into the ditches.  IF you got out to cut it, it got rained on and started to mold also.  They're talking rain again for this later part of this week...
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
cabinhollow View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cabinhollow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 11:29am
Talk to someone this weekend and between trucking (130 miles one way) and getting dock, his around $8 beans ended up as $5 beans.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2018 at 11:42am
Well, I'm sure it will still be a bumper, near record crop of beans and corn!Confused
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2018 at 5:47pm
Running back thru IL, KY and MO from GA last weekend there were a LOT of unharvested bean fields, many are laying over where may not get the header to pick them back up. Not sure what's up.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic