This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Concrete ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Concrete ??
    Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:00pm
Why is it that a concrete supplier can NOT supply the same "color' of material for multiple pours ?? Same company, same  mix and less than 3 hours apart  ??
Sponsored Links

Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Why is it that a concrete supplier can NOT supply the same "color' of material for multiple pours ?? Same company, same  mix and less than 3 hours apart  ??
You voted Biden didn't you? Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:11pm
TRACY !!!

Killing Me Dead GIF - Killing Me Dead Lmao GIFs
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:15pm
Our local ready mix company has 6 plants.  To get enough cement for all plants, they buy their cement from 2 companies.  The colors are not the same so they usually  batch each job from the same plant or at least from plants that use the same cement.  Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
fixer1958 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fixer1958 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 7:52pm
How do you know it's not Biden
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by den/southern illinoi den/southern illinoi wrote:

Our local ready mix company has 6 plants.  To get enough cement for all plants, they buy their cement from 2 companies.  The colors are not the same so they usually  batch each job from the same plant or at least from plants that use the same cement.  Den

Thanks for a sensible reply Den, It's been like this for YEARS but this past week, the builder really pitched a bitch on a 45 yard driveway/garage approach on a $800,000 home and IMO, for good reason ConfusedCry !! 
I fail to see the relevance of Biden and concrete ConfusedConfused ??
Every one wants to make it POLITICAL EmbarrassedOuchWacko , LMAO !!!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:06pm
FG, if your pumpkin wasn't filled with jetcrete, you would know why those fellers are pick'n on you... but I will give you a hint... something about covid and askin where covid should go... And I say send it back to CHINA.  Okay maybe I jumped a few steps over to rationality. Wink

5 truckloads of concrete... Like Den said, sometimes the plants will bring in trucks from other plants and it won't look the same...  sometimes the same pour can look different in different spots just in how long it took to pour and who was doing the finishing... and if they had to add more water in between. 
 Was on a pour one time and the plant called and asked if they could run a full load out because another place was not ready to pour and would be in the truck to long. Since the job was not critical, we took the load and at that moment, color didn't mean anything specially when it lessened the cost. LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Jordan(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jordan(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2021 at 10:20pm
One truck probably had to wait on the train.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:00am
Wonder how it will look in a month?  
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 8:34am
It's been like this for YEARS but this past week, the builder...

If it happened more than ONCE.... The Contractor and the Supplier are  BOTH IDIOTS.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 2:12pm
Freedguy, why don't you ask the Concrete Company? You obviously don't like some of the answers you get here!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Tbone95 Tbone95 wrote:

Concrete Grey White!!!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:33pm

Trust me, the SAME Wink !! It will look the same in 15 years, I can verify that to this day ClapClap Clap !!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Freedguy, why don't you ask the Concrete Company? You obviously don't like some of the answers you get here!
I'm not the General Contractor, it was a "generic" question, and other than YOU, why are the answers I receive are "un-liked" in your opinion ???
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 7:52pm
Freedguy you responded to T-bone that the concrete will look the same and you didn't ask the contractor. What response are you expecting?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:11pm
why ? could be that the raw materials are different. Say the stone for the second batch comes from another quarry, or the cement form a different manufacturer.Maybe one of the additives was changed ??
Concrete might ,eventually ,change to  SIMILAR colour, but I wouldn't expect it to.
BIG THING when using stucco for a house, order at LEAST 2 extra 5G pails of it !!! There's no way you'll get the SAME colour a day later, let alone 5 years from now.
Car paint is terrible. even with 'computerz', no one get the match 100%, though some of the water borne stuf is kinda close.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 7:03am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Concrete Grey White!!!
That's what I'm a'thinkin'!
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:14pm
OK another concrete question ????????
When i was doing my Building Inspection classes one instructor said he always checked the counter on the truck to see how many revolutions the drum had made since truck was dispatched to jobsite . Any commercial project he inspected he was there for concrete pours and REJECTED loads with over a certain revolution count . 
  He told the driver to find some residential job to go to as the load was not allowed on the site .
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:22pm
We were pouring the base of a 300 ft chimney at a power plant.. Inspector took slump samples of EACH truck and also they had a log of how long concrete was in the truck since it left the plant.. Had to pass BOTH inspections or it was rejected...... Was coming from 3 different plant, about 150 loads in a certain amount of time... Dont think they were looking at the colors...Wink   Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Oct 2021 at 12:22pm
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 3:32pm
I know they check samples for yield strength once cured and I thought they checked temperature as well for government structural jobs? Neighbor told me about a time in Harrisburg Pa that they had to demo a bridge 21 loads after a bad batch was examined. Said he had 20min and only 5 min window from leaving the plant to job site to unload including batch inspection.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 4:10pm
Watched a safety video when I worked for MDOT as they had a Construction Tech backed over by a Cement Truck when she was taking a Concrete slump reading.
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2021 at 10:09am
  Portland colors are different colors from each supplier, around here some companys use granite and some river rock, the list is long.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
CalvikJnso View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CalvikJnso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 6:02am
It all depends on how professional the employees in this company are. Now someone can say that the raw materials for concrete can be different, and this causes such problems. Still, it only depends on how correctly the master prepares the mixture for concrete. I've seen how professionals from Dallas Concrete Contractors do it, and you'll never convince me that I'm wrong. I haven't seen such well-coordinated and professional work for a long time, and if I needed to do the foundation of my own house, I would call just such guys.

Edited by CalvikJnso - 09 Jun 2022 at 8:04am
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 6:43am

Trust me, the SAME Wink !! It will look the same in 15 years, I can verify that to this day ClapClap Clap !!

You can verify the future can ya?
Well so can we.
We said your boy Biden would screw the economy and gas would go through the roof.
Our prediction has been verified yours has not.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 1:09pm
  At the rate things are going it's going to be ffirst come first served because my son's company uses 4 tanks of diesel fuel per month and is being told they will only be getting 1 tank full a month. 
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 5:31pm

I see no concrete evidence of a single answer to this question...Wink

I can set here and wait for an answer all night, but sleep will cure me of the problemWinkWink

There, we have a firm foundation for a pun-fest!WinkWinkWink

I hope this paves the way for more!WinkWinkWinkWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2022 at 10:11pm
I'm trying to  form  an opinion of my own.  I'm not just some internet  trowel.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 10:46pm
Well Chute... this just reinforces all the hard facts: I'm too pour to go on strike, too heavy to float the cost, and too much of a sinner to ever cast any stones...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 11:01pm
One of the most common reasons for color variation, (aside from changes in aggregate source), is what ever residue might still be in the kettle from a previous pour.  When an archetectural deco mix is ordered with mixed-in dye, the following batch frequently shows evidence of stray pigment.  Sometimes that change in color is due to the addition of potash (or contamination from a prior load).  If it's in a high-safety circumstance, there's no reason not to reject it, as contract specifications are pretty clear.  A quality supplier will make absolute certain that the spec is met, as a failure of non-compliant concrete would place them directly in the path of liquidated damages, liability, and subrogation.  A good supplier wants it to your site RIGHT, which means all the proper admixtures, no contaminants, proper slump and temperature.

In structural circumstances, I personally always take a slump and temp measurement, as well as fill at least 4 sample cylinders, and then cast some leftovers into a 12x12x8" stepping stone for future reference.  In my non-structural, I cast some stepping stones so that I can observe the shrink/crack over long-term.  I do not get too caught up in color, but when someone is doing a decorative pour, they're certainly not in the wrong to desire a color match... but once it's down and hard, the only options are either to 1) knock it out and try again, or 2) apply a surface dye.   The problem is, that when concrete is fresh, it's 'green'... and the color does change, and it is basically impossible to prove WHAT the color change is, until after it's been down and solid for at least several months.

Quality control on concrete can become an extremely serious biz.  A bad batch, in the wrong place, can cause some very, very, very bad things to happen.  Our concrete pours (company) have test samples taken for cylinder break tests for 14, 21, and 28 days, and when we have a sample failure, there's a whole lot of remediation considered in order to make sure we don't experience those very bad things.

A pair of large bridges were recently built in my area, they have steel-reinforced concrete arches.  I don't care one iota about the color match of those arches... I just don't want them to ever fail.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2022 at 11:14am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

One of the most common reasons for color variation, (aside from changes in aggregate source), is what ever residue might still be in the kettle from a previous pour.  When an archetectural deco mix is ordered with mixed-in dye, the following batch frequently shows evidence of stray pigment.  Sometimes that change in color is due to the addition of potash (or contamination from a prior load).  If it's in a high-safety circumstance, there's no reason not to reject it, as contract specifications are pretty clear.  A quality supplier will make absolute certain that the spec is met, as a failure of non-compliant concrete would place them directly in the path of liquidated damages, liability, and subrogation.  A good supplier wants it to your site RIGHT, which means all the proper admixtures, no contaminants, proper slump and temperature.

In structural circumstances, I personally always take a slump and temp measurement, as well as fill at least 4 sample cylinders, and then cast some leftovers into a 12x12x8" stepping stone for future reference.  In my non-structural, I cast some stepping stones so that I can observe the shrink/crack over long-term.  I do not get too caught up in color, but when someone is doing a decorative pour, they're certainly not in the wrong to desire a color match... but once it's down and hard, the only options are either to 1) knock it out and try again, or 2) apply a surface dye.   The problem is, that when concrete is fresh, it's 'green'... and the color does change, and it is basically impossible to prove WHAT the color change is, until after it's been down and solid for at least several months.

Quality control on concrete can become an extremely serious biz.  A bad batch, in the wrong place, can cause some very, very, very bad things to happen.  Our concrete pours (company) have test samples taken for cylinder break tests for 14, 21, and 28 days, and when we have a sample failure, there's a whole lot of remediation considered in order to make sure we don't experience those very bad things.

A pair of large bridges were recently built in my area, they have steel-reinforced concrete arches.  I don't care one iota about the color match of those arches... I just don't want them to ever fail.

Dave, didn't you also have to do a air test every sample, I know the company I work for did but I can't remember if it was mandatory or not, the supervisor we had always had us over sampling everything just to be sure are asses where cover.
 Also how do you like doing the daily report for the project? I thought it was a lot of wasted time and a pain the ass. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic