This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Church denomination

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dennis(IA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:31am
I went from ELCA to WELS years ago.  Never regretted it.  When we would spend the winter in North Carolina we would drive an hour to go to a WELS Church.
Sponsored Links

allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:39pm
My daughter attended a Lutheran Church in Waukee Iowa that was:
Not Lutheran Church Missouri Synod
Not Evangelical Lutheran Church of America

It was a Lutheran Congregations in Mission In Christ

I had the feeling it was a very Biblical group of churches. I think the Church in Waukee had left ELCA and joined Lutheran Congregations in Mission in Christ because the ELCA was getting pretty liberal and denied the Bible was God's Word o many topics.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:52pm
In the United States there are four major synods: The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, or the ELCA; the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, or LCMS; The American Association of Lutheran Churches, or TAALC; and the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod, or WELS.

Lutheran churches follow the teachings of 16h century reformer Martin Luther, particularly his teaching on justification by faith and scripture alone (sola scriptura). It is one of the most liturgical Protestant movements, along with Episcopalianism. Lutheranism is more prominent in the Midwestern United States, particularly among those with German and Scandinavian ancestry. Lutheran bodies include the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.

Lutheran

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 9:55pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 9:45pm
Thank you guys for all your thoughts and inputs. Like I say we are just getting started. We have a few other options to explore.

We met with the lcmc guy and was very impressed. What they stood for seem to be exactly what we are looking for. But like buying a car or home you don't just jump at the first one.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 11:56am
Seems many in the Lutheran beliefs have had to come to make a choice in their own beliefs - to follow a liberal new view or stay in a more traditional stance . 
  It's up to each individual to not only follow their own heart and soul in what they feel or know is the right path to follow , but to also find what is the teaching and beliefs of the Synod they belong to .
  I know others on here have looked and said the way the congregation they belonged to for many years changed direction and has caused a SPLIT in the members many leaving to find new churches that followed their ideas and the churches teachings were what they were raised to believe .
 One of the individuals on here that lives in Rochester MN area faced it a few years back when the congregation voted to follow a new liberal belief path - He could not accept it and found a new Lutheran Church - even though his family had been members for 3 or more generations of the former one . 
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2022 at 1:07pm
Coke, this very thing is happening to nearly all religions in the west, and has been going on for decades. From the Vatican hiding preist’s from law enforcement, to the catacombs under Vatican City stuffed full of gold, and artifacts from WWI & WWII, all the while crying the blues as the plate is passed at every mass. To the Bible being rewritten, edited, and supposedly translated for centuries on end, to be as some believe to be nothing even close to as the word of God. All designed to split, and pit citizens against each other.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DereonMalone View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DereonMalone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 1:19pm
Have you been to a Pentecostal church? We believe that the Christian Church is, of course, a family. The local church is warm and close, and the Universal Church is global and majestic and a family. We are all related to Adam and Eve, according to Christ. So we invite you to our family, first virtually and then, God willing, physically! I leave contact info at https://firstchurchlove.com. We spend a lot of time studying and discussing the Bible. I believe that we, like no one else, devote a lot of time to this. We communicate, find friends, participate in events, and help children. Come, we are always glad to meet new people.

Edited by DereonMalone - 09 Sep 2022 at 10:42am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2022 at 2:35pm
Was born into Catholicism, attended Southern Baptist in Greenville IL with Great Aunt and Uncle and their family on Mom's side, Grandmother on Mom's side Non Denominational but trended to simple worship services and Churches, she could not tolerate the Tongues and Twitches of the Pentacostal meetings.
Her best Friend and lifelong confidant was Southern Baptist, Grandmother's Parents Lutheran and from the Old Country Lutheran.  Changes in that religion stepped her away from them.  Grandfather on Mom's side grew up occasional Methodist.  Grands on Dad's side Staunch Catholics, Both Grandparents and Great Grands.

I am a "Casual Catholic', do not attend regularly, still believe I am in God's most Holy Church EVERY Day just by being alive and being in our rural setting.
Mnfarmboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnfarmboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 10:20am
LCMS
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2022 at 7:10pm
I'm a fourth generation member of a local LCMS church, but no longer attend there, my folks left there 25 years ago as they tired of watching it become more and more liberal from St. Louis on down. They and several other long time members joined a WELS congregation which is the same one my wife and I attend and where my daughter was confirmed. We have attended some classes there and have been invited to join, I'm just dragging my feet and feel a little guilt on being the last one out the door after our family has been on the membership roles for over 140 years, but that's my problem and I know I need to make the switch. The WELS foundation is much more solid and conservative in my opinion.
dr p View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2022 at 6:48am
Interesting to read what you guys are experiencing in your faith communities. I am on the other side of the fence (jew) and we are going through the same issues. The young rabbis and modern reform synagogues seem more like a social club than a house of worship. I believe the world is a different place than it was 5000 years ago and the laws of man can change but the ten commandments are that, not the ten suggestions.
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 5:11pm
I've enjoyed reading all of your posts. I grew up Protestant with one set of grandparents who were Catholic and the other set were "protesting" Protestants. I had a Jewish roommate in college. Then I married a Methodist preacher's daughter. One day a group of us were debating which church is "the church". A wise lady (Catholic) said "I thought we were all Christians here. Why are we arguing about which church to attend?". Excellent point. My humble opinion is that the most important things are that the church is Christian, Bible based, & preaches the word of God and Jesus. Our preference at this time is to attend a non-denominational Christian church loosely affiliated with a seminary. Our church is governed by a board of directors who control the finances. I absolutely avoid any church where the pastor is the center of attention and controls the church and the money. Let's all remember that churches' tax exempt status prohibits promoting politics. Many churches today do preach politics. Personally, I think that's wrong. A church's teachings should be based on the word of God and Jesus as written in the Bible. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic