This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Christmas advice/

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christmas advice/
    Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 1:28pm
Wife says I should be thinking about what to get a 8 and 1/2 year old grandson for Christmas. He has so much stuff it is hard to shop for stuff. He has a bike, BBgun, football, baseball bat and glove, a pile of farm toys, cell phone, games other electronic toys, mini foosball table. I had godparents that gave me saving bonds growing up because she worked in a bank, I liked that but I don't know if they are worth anything now. He comes out to the farm when he can, but he's busy bouncing back and forth between his mom and dad. I take him to tractor and toy shows when I can, hasn't been any of them this year and we have been a little more careful because he is going to school and other stuff. Sorry a little long winded. just not sure what more a person should get a boy like that.
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 2:05pm
I don't know what savings bonds are worth today but by the times he's ready for college they might be worth something 

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 4:24pm
Hmmmmm, I was thinking more like his first “B”
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 6:00pm
Joe is spot on the money........his first "B."  From reading between the lines I gather that his mom and dad are divorced so he may need someone that is rock steady in his life. His own tractor that the two of you work on together and he learns how to drive and maintain would give him a great sense of accomplishment. And the "B" is a great tractor for that, just ask Bill Long. Many times kids have too much "stuff" when what they really want is quality time spent with parents and grandparents. Spend all the time you can with him because before you know it he will be grown. Interest on bonds and savings accounts are low these days but they do help teach kids to save.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 6:32pm
Many times kids have too much "stuff" when what they really want is quality time spent with parents and grandparents

YEP.... what he really needs is as much TIME as you cans spend... My 8 year old grandson helped me build a tree house this summer....in MY BACK YARD... Something i really needed !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 7:04pm
8 year old...

1. With parents' permission, buy his first .22 rifle for plinking cans together.

2. Install Minecraft on your computer and watch him play the modern Kid version of Legos. Share in building stuff and game adventures

3. Fishing rod and basic tackle kit with promise to do fishing trips together.

4. Tickets for him and you and the misses to take an air balloon ride together in the spring. It will be a lifetime memory.

5. Get him Calvin & Hobbes comic books. Seriously.

6. An 8 year old should have a dog (boxer or lab are safe choices). Clear this with his parents!!! Dog is a friend, builds confidence with training dog, teaches him responsibility, and teaches about life (aging, reproduction, see world from a different perspective).

Edited by KMAG - 17 Dec 2020 at 7:10pm
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 7:28pm
Deer hunting together. States now offer a youth season for those not yet 18. Seasons over this year, but that’s ok. You’d have a whole year to prep for 2021. Could begin with a firearm &/or bow safety class together. Then if you’ve gotta gun or bow, you both could practice shooting targets at different yardage. Could learn about ammo / arrow rates of drop & windage. Could apply for deer tags & habitat stamp in May. Maybe use a game cam to scout trails & learn when deer feed or bed. Then bag a deer during youth season. Field dress it. Butcher it. Add bacon or beef suet to venison, grind it into burgers & freeze it. Then enjoy delicious deer chili, deer meatloaf, deer spaghetti, deer lasagna, deer tacos, or deer burgers on the grill.
If this has merit with you, then you could maybe buy him a sharp skinning/butcher hunting knife, or a range finder scope, or a game camera, or an orange hunting hat, gloves, & vest, or a Scheels gift card that could be used later toward a bow, gun, ammo, etc...
DSpears N IL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSpears N IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 7:54pm
how about a basic set of wrenches or tool set with a toolbox to use and keep organized!
Then possibly a tractor to take care of together!

My grandkids love being around my tractors maintaining them and then driving them!

Pat the Plumber CIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pat the Plumber CIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 8:11pm
Stuff I wanted when I was 8 ; shotgun, dirt bike, 4 wheeler , compound bow , crossbow , go-cart, snow mobile, jet ski,

Edited by Pat the Plumber CIL - 17 Dec 2020 at 8:13pm
You only need to know 3 things to be a plumber;Crap rolls down hill,Hot is on the left and Don't bite your fingernails

1964 D-17 SIV 3 Pt.WF,1964 D-15 Ser II 3pt.WF ,1960 D-17 SI NF,1956 WD 45 WF.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 8:53pm
I have been thinking maybe his first tractor pretty soon. His dad is really good with him that's not a problem. He has a nice bike they have a 4 wheeler his other grandpa has a cottage on a lake and he loves to fish for rock bass. His dad take him to the airport for airplane and helicopter rides and I'm not crazy about flying and my wife hates it. And he already has a BBgun. I do wish there was a way to spend more time with him, he was able to ride along in the combine when we did beans. Him and his dad come out evenings in the summer to pick up big squares and I got to take him for a semi ride to the grain elevator this fall. We are pretty lucky to have all that but thats why when the wife puts you on the spot to get him something for Christmas it is hard to do. And him and his dad already have a husky, a lab and a cat. I was thinking a little feeder steer they have a couple acre lot but that might not be appreciated I should probably keep that here at the farm.

Edited by DanWi - 17 Dec 2020 at 8:57pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 9:06pm
i do agree with a fishing pole, maybe ad sum lures and other fishing gear. a pup tent and a few accesories for around a campfire. guns? nope...to easy to have a fatal accident at that young of an age. gift cards from any store he may like works well. 1/2 year old....A/C t-shirt or A/C bib.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 9:37pm
How about a drum set? To be kept at the house of the parent that is your former(son/daughter)in law.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 9:48pm
Thanks for all the help. Just saw a commercial that reminded me he loves trains. Guess I am shopping for a train set.
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2020 at 10:30pm
I second the tools. I was about that age when my brother and I got a basic woodworking kit for Christmas. Hammer,screwdrivers, small plane chisels,saw, all in a wooden case. Couple years later, we each got a 1/2" socket set from Pamida.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 11:32am
I think that was about when I got my son his first computer.  It was a commodore 64.  He had a lot of fun with that thing.  You could probably get him a decent gaming computer for 1500 to 2000, and run it thru a tv probably 55" for a starter.  I just bought a 65" at Cosco for 500.  You better get practiced up on a game controller.  I never could figure out what buttons to push to do what!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Fred in Pa View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fred in Pa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 11:55am

D 21 
He who dies with the most toys is,
nonetheless ,still dead.
If all else fails ,Read all that is PRINTED.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 1:47pm
Funny thing when it comes to video games and electronic stuff, when he is at his dads he is a carpenter and he is pretty hands on always active they don't watch alot of tv, he has him reading books and doing activities. Then there is the difference his mom would use the tv as a babysitter or just let him sit and play video games. Thing is in the future some of the skills kids learn from electronics could lead to a career but not all the other crap they learn from it. If I was going to blow the budget and get him a D21 I might as well get him an 8070 then I could borrow it and hook to the neighbors big square baler for the summer.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 6:17pm
Little late for a suggestion if you already decided on a train but when I was 8 a neighbor gave me a old Snapper (the kind with the engine on the back) riding lawnmower for me to fix. Actually it ran but he smashed the sparkplug electrode down so it had no spark and I had to figure that out. 

I drove it all over. Got a new blade and mowed some yards. Did about twice as many oil changes as it needed just so I could work on it. Showed the unsuspecting kids in the neighborhood "how to check for spark" and a squirt of oil down the carburetor would put on a good smoke show. My dad made a trailer so I hauled around stuff. Takes up less space than a tractor and would still give him something to mess around with. 

About 2 years later it finally it started smoking bad without me squirting oil down the carburetor and was making a knocking noise. Ended up getting a minibike and rode that around instead and the mower went to the iron scrap pile.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2020 at 6:24pm
Dan, sounds like his dad is a pretty good guy... and stepping up to the plate to teach the boy about a LOT of things... thats great !   hunting, fishing, mechanics .... all valued !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2020 at 10:26am
Yes, sounds like it's up to the Grandparents to care on what the father has going. Best of luck to you. We have 2 Grandchildren in Flordia that we will not get to see this year and both of their parents are the tv and games to keep them occuped and are devivorsed and they are both bright student but are getting their school at home because of Covid, the boys is doing great the girl is struggling and we can't be of any help. They are my's son children and I have to keep my muth shut.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 12:28am
a buddy gave his 2 young twin boys each a tool box with some basic tools, thought they would learn some on how to use them, and maybe help their mom on things....until....he walked into the shed one day and found all kinds of farm equipment parts laying all over and in  piles....he took the tools away!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 9:07pm
Dan, I was in Menard's the other day and dsaw several train sets in carts. One guy with a set in his cart told me he thought they had a quality train set. I did not pick them up.
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 4:59pm
Checked the one Menard's this weekend and they were pretty picked over not much left. Have another Menard's about the same distance in the opposite direction they may have had a little more inventory maybe. Went home and ordered online and suppose to arrive before Christmas. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic