This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Check book

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Check book
    Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 5:24am
Hi all today marks the day that most banks in New Zealand stop using checks they want everyone to use internet banking it is not to bad as I have been internet banking for about 4 years now
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
Sponsored Links

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 5:32am
I pay all of my bills online, have for many years.  There are still those times when you need to write a check, maybe once a year.  Are your banks going to force you to come in and get a money order for those instances?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:07am
They can want in one hand and in the other and see which one fills up first.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:34am
I, too, use internet banking extensively, but there are still times when I use checks. How do you pay an individual for something, other than cash? 

Over the weekend, I bought a trailer from an individual. As I get older, I don't like carrying or keeping a lot of cash in the house.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:55am
Mixed feelings....

How do you pay another person?  Venmo, iPay, others through Apple Wallet, the "square",. . .I've never done any of them, but they are out there.  Had a lady buy hay from me past winter that all but demanded it get set up on Venmo or Pay Pay.  

Had the crappiest internet service for so long, never really set up much of it.  Dang bank upped their statement fee to $15 per MONTH unless you had a huge minimum balance, finally forced my hand to getting statements online.  I have a lot of stuff set up on auto pay, but still probably write 8-10 checks per month.  For the farm business, ALL done via checkbook still.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 6:58am
I do NOT like internet banking. Guess I'm behind the times and eventually I will have to "get with the program " but I won't go peacefully. When the internet crashes a lot of people are going to be SOL.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 7:03am
Hubert...
part of the great Chineses plan....
get the whole USA onto 'online  banking' , then drop a small EMP......
..or simply unleash a few 'ransomware bots'..
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 7:04am
Auction house and ag related charge a fee for credit cards so yeah, I'll keep my checkbook for now.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 7:05am
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

I do NOT like internet banking. Guess I'm behind the times and eventually I will have to "get with the program " but I won't go peacefully. When the internet crashes a lot of people are going to be SOL.
I hear ya', and feel ya, but the thing is, when the internet crashes, it won't matter if you and I are still using paper checks.  Because the banks and any place you wanna spend your money will be crippled down to worthless anyway.

I remember many years ago, sunspot activity or some such goofy reason they blamed for cable/internet troubles, and you couldn't buy a burger and fries at McDonald's!!1AngryAngryAngry  Seriously?  Why does it require a computer to fry a ball of grease and sawdust and box up some fries???!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 8:26am
There are a few smaller, local shops around here ( very rural) that take cash or check.. Wont even take a credit card... They probably never even  heard of Pay Pal !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 10:28am
Yeah we have a few like that too, but I usually have to stop at the ATM before I go!
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:06am
Its the absolute WORST stupid idea that ever was concocked!! NOTHING is safe on the internet! I agree with Hubert!!
We are forced to use it here on some of our business too and I dont like it one bit!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:47am
I  pay all my bills by check.  I have an old computer and it doesn't always work.  At the rate my internet fees are going up I may not be able to afford that in the future.

If they want everything done over the internet, they should make it more affordable.  As for my phone, I have a cheap-o flip phone I carry for emergencies while I'm out and about, but for the 99% of calls I still use a land line at home.
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by dee_veloper dee_veloper wrote:

I  pay all my bills by check.  I have an old computer and it doesn't always work.  At the rate my internet fees are going up I may not be able to afford that in the future.

If they want everything done over the internet, they should make it more affordable.  As for my phone, I have a cheap-o flip phone I carry for emergencies while I'm out and about, but for the 99% of calls I still use a land line at home.

Wink I thought I was the last guy using a flip phone, well I guess using is the wrong word too. It works but has hid in the truck 99.9 % of the time turned off. For MY conveyance to both you, Wink not for others to bother me.LOL 

Just to old to understand why a debit card is good. Confused All I see is bad, you get hacked they can get it all. With a credit card you have chance to call and report you lost it. What is so hard about writing a check that all the young ones just don't.

Edited by Ray54 - 01 Jun 2021 at 3:02pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 2:43pm
I have a FWIP FONE..... probably get 1 call and 3 texts per week... and the call is SPAM!
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 3:09pm
Just to old to understand why a debit card is good. Confused All I see is bad, you get hacked they can get it all. With a credit card you have chance to call and report you lost it. What is so hard about writing a check that all the young ones just don't.

[/QUOTE]
Some of the younger ones don't know how to write. They are not teaching cursive writing anymore in schools. Soon it'll be back to make your mark on the touch pad.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Kiwi View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiwi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 3:09pm
Hi all to pay individual I just get there banking details and pay on line or cash . shops farm sales and the likes I use my eftpos card (bank card / debit card)I don’t use my credit card much just to buy allis part from over seas .
Tractors Allis EB,two C,diesel G
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm
re: debit card..... YOU can set a LIMIT on any/all transactions, also YOU can disable the 'autoswipe' feature of any/all of your credit cards.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JLS retired View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLS retired Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:17pm
know a gentleman who worked for BIG computer company as service rep out of New York(included Sodom on the Potomac) owned two systems and, (according to him)none of his financial info was on the one that connected to the internet
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 4:32pm
Some of the younger ones don't know how to write. They are not teaching cursive writing anymore in schools. Soon it'll be back to make your mark on the touch pad.    Thumbs Up.... do they even teach cursive in school these days ?
GARY(OH/IN) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:21pm
Flip phone here. Had a smart. couldn't even carry to the truck without it dinging and ringing and trying to call someone. Flip is for the time and when I want to make a call. Can't stand it when I hire someone to do a job for me and they spend half the time on their phone setting other appointments or what ever and then charge by the hour for the time they were on my job. I can't work with one hand to my ear all day.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2021 at 11:35pm
we accept credit cards and checks for my local customers, but cash is still king 
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:00am
Hate having any financial info on the internet. Just another way for hackers to cause a problem. Went to a local drive in last year for a burger and shake and handed the girl money. She handed it back and said they ONLY take credit or debit cards. What is wrong with society anyway. Sure wish a lot of things were like they were 50 years ago, or even 2 yrs.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Hate having any financial info on the internet. Just another way for hackers to cause a problem. Went to a local drive in last year for a burger and shake and handed the girl money. She handed it back and said they ONLY take credit or debit cards. What is wrong with society anyway. Sure wish a lot of things were like they were 50 years ago, or even 2 yrs.
So did you go to the bank and close all of your accounts?  Did you inform all of the vendors to whom you write a check they can no longer use Automated Clearing House?  What about the IRS?  

I'm not picking on you....I'm just saying, it's out there, whether you partake or not.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Some of the younger ones don't know how to write. They are not teaching cursive writing anymore in schools. Soon it'll be back to make your mark on the touch pad.    Thumbs Up.... do they even teach cursive in school these days ?

The days my Wonderful subs they just may still get that cursed cursive.

That figured in on her retiring they did not want her wasting the kidos time learning the old way. She looked it up in the "state standards rule book" it was still there to be learned in 3rd or 4th grade. That was before 16 so the "book" may have been "updated" since. 

Wink Had one of those inconveniences of a landlord driving in Confused wanting to TALK.LOL He is a good kid Wink only have to guide him a bit now and then. He is 5th generation on this deal and I am 4th.

Wink Dang I am old calling a 40+ a kid. Back to checks for those one track minds.

Edited by Ray54 - 02 Jun 2021 at 2:28pm
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 12:37pm
What are you trying to say Ray??
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 8:38am
I do pay stuff online and I use a credit card, but sometimes I wonder if its all right. We have the cyber attacks on JBS now going to make meat prices higher. Yesterday at the gas station they had a 2 minute power outage and a person was pumping gas when it happened so now he has to wait until his next statement to see if he was charged or got free gas because when the power was restored it hadn't recorded it. Also a friend with a large dairy was on auto pay for his utility bill, for some reason it didn't take out the payment in February, not his fault it was set up as auto pay, so next bill he gets penalty and interest charged. Then they deduct twice so he has overpaid plus the interest and penalty, he catches that right away as he is checking his account to for the payment. When he calls they can't just straighten things out quick it has to go to this person then that person. It took a few months for him to get it all back right.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:12am
The whole system sucks once there's a hiccup.

A few years back, I paid a bill by a CHECK in the MAIL.  A monthly recurring bill I'd been paying that way all along.  Got a phone call and email regarding my bill, wanting me to be sure I paid it before it was late and the penalty kicked in. Hmm, strange I said, I have paid it by mail.  Agent says ok, must just not be quite processed yet.  Next month's bill comes, and I owe double plus late fees, because I didn't pay last month's bill.  My check had cleared the bank!  I NEVER DID GET CREDIT FOR THAT PAYMENT!!!! No matter what I showed them as proof.  Great, now I'm pissed off all over again! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic