This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CDL licensing requirements after February 7, 2022

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CDL licensing requirements after February 7, 2022
    Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 8:24pm
Beginning February 7, 2022, anyone applying for a Commercial Learners Permit (CLP) will be required to complete an Entry Level Driver Training (EDLT) course that includes classroom and behind the wheel training.

"Entry-level drivers must complete the applicable training, from a provider listed on the Training Provider Registry, prior to taking a relevant skills or knowledge test."

If you know someone interested in getting a CDL, they should get their CLP prior to February 7, 2022.

When the country is so short of CDL drivers, it seems (to me) that it's a poor time to make obtaining a CDL harder than ever.

Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 8:59pm
i agree...i'm thinking they are trying to weed out alot of people that shouldn't be driving mostly school buses and semi's. all the other stuff comes with it. several were talking about it at the elevator today...didn't make their day! one of the drivers there said he contacted our state DOT and they told him he would have to take the classes and test again. he's been driving semi's since the early '70s and has a clean record.  i let my CDL expire so i'm not gonna worry about it. 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 4:33am
Are not 'Weeding' anyone out, are passing the buck.  Those leaving the schools are not going to be State Driving Test Required, that was done by the schools.  Are few new applicants except Foreign Nationals(Refugees?) entering these schools(Fed Subsidized) where that gives the States an Out as to allowance of Foreigners to take over said jobs.   Pretty sad looking at it.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 6:32am
We live in a VERY rural area of northern NY State (60 miles to either Montreal or Ottawa).

Every school district in our area is very short of school bus drivers. A few districts had to go to online only for short periods, because of driver shortages. Many bus drivers are retired people that have obtained their CDL (with passenger endorsement) to help out with the shortage and to supplement their income. I believe this new requirement will be a major deterrent for people like that.

Every school district has some kind of "in-house" driver training. This has seemed to work well.

I don't believe the movement is political. (Some people on here tend to think everything is political.) I think it is well intentioned, but I question the timing. Making it harder to get a CDL right now, in the middle of a shortage of CMV drivers, may not be a great decision.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 6:38am
Ok, i gott ask... just how do you get a CDL now ??
Just walk in, pay $50 ,and walk out  with one ??
Surely there's SOME kind of test ?? !!

hmm 2nd ?? Is this a federal thing ? If so, it means you can drive in any state to any other state ?? I'm thinking about how CA has it's own 'rules of the roads'....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 6:41am
They were going to do this a couple of years ago but didn't get all of their ducks in a row and pushed it back until now.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 7:36am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Ok, i gott ask... just how do you get a CDL now ??
Just walk in, pay $50 ,and walk out  with one ??
Surely there's SOME kind of test ?? !!

hmm 2nd ?? Is this a federal thing ? If so, it means you can drive in any state to any other state ?? I'm thinking about how CA has it's own 'rules of the roads'....

Getting a CDL is now very similar to getting a regular drivers license; you get a DMV CDL manual, study it and take a written test to get a CDL learners permit.  When you have the learners permit, you must have a CDL driver with you at all times. 

You, then, schedule a CDL road test, which has to be taken in the class of vehicle you are applying for; tractor or truck trailer for Class A, straight truck over 26,000 lbs. for a Class B, bus for a P (passenger endorsement). The CDL you obtain may have restrictions, based the vehicle you took the road test on (automatic transmission, no air brakes, truck-trailer combination, limited number of passengers based on the size bus).

If you pass, you must have a CDL physical for interstate driving.

When this regulation goes into effect, you will have to have the mandatory training.

CDL is a federal license that is issued by the state you reside in. CDL regulations are the same for every state, however some states impose more stringent restrictions. The same is true for commercial motor vehicles (CMV).

As I said before, you must have a valid CDL physical for interstate operation. Intrastate (not crossing state lines) physical is governed by the state you are operating in.

Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:22am
most drivers iv ever run into from a driving school. Ether broke the truck or crashed it. Because can’t drive.
It’s the same issue as most other jobs. Not enough kids growing up near that stuff learning how to function.
I washed trucks as a kid. Was moving them around at a young age

Edited by Mikez - 30 Nov 2021 at 9:11am
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 8:23am
I'm glad I don't havta' worry about that crap anymore. My CDL is still active yet, but when the time comes that it expires, (this coming new year) I'll be done wit' that! The thing here in New Joisey though, you havta' go to the DMV and have it removed (for a fee of coarse) and have your driver's license changed. If you let the CDL expire, so does your driver's license! I know a feller that let his CDL expire. and he found out later down the road that he didn't have a valid driver's license!  Yikes!....Shocked
Steve@B&B

39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 9:38am
I've had a "Truck" License since long before there ever was such thing as a CDL. Started riding with my Dad when I had to stand up to look out the right window of an R220 International. By the time I was 12 or so I'd ride along with a trucker that hauled to the local Southern State stores with a Ford 1000 SA and mostly 32' trailers. That fellow would let me back up to the docks and told me take as long as you need but NEVER hit anything. So I learned the old fashioned way, by actually doing it. When I got a Class A the local DMV was at the city firehouse. The officer that did my test saw me maneuver thru the car packed parking lot. After doing the written test and Pre-Trip test. I was directed to drive out on the streets and just made a large loop. When getting back to the firehouse I was told I had passed the test before we even left the lot after he saw me driving thru the parking lot. That he was required to do a road test.  
 Fast forward 40 years or so, While driving for a company, I was always the trainer for new hires and couple stand out in my memory. 
  One was a fellow that wanted to be a big time Peterbuilt driver. He was a hotshot that would not listen and thought , as he'd been thru a school he knew it all. After one trip allowing him to drive back from Pittsburg on the turnpike, he scared me to the point that I told him "pull over and park it". When getting back to the terminal I showed the dashcam footage to the head dispatcher and voiced my opinion not to allow that fellow to go any further toward becoming a driver with the company. He would wreck a truck. Then he was assigned to another older driver and He backed up my opinion. So the company went against 2 experienced drivers and turned him loose in a truck. He banged up the front fenders on 3 different trucks, then later had a loaded cement tanker come unhooked crossing a set or RR tracks. After seeing that happen, I just went to management and said" I told you so".
  The second was a young lady that had been a heavy-haul driver as a Marine. She had never unloaded a pneumatic trailer or driven a manual shift transmission in her life. She listened well and in two days she could unload the trailer as well as I could. It took her a bit to get used to a clutch and in about 3 weeks she was driving an 18 speed on her own. She is still a close friend years later.
   Schooling and testing should be difficult for driving ANYTHING. Nowadays you don't even have to parallel park when getting a car license. I've had to do that with a TT many times when making deliveries and amaze most that see me do it in a single try. There is no good reason for going lax on the regulations for those wanting a CDL. I've seen too many bad things that have happened on the roads to think otherwise. One case in point was a FED-EX steering wheel holder that entered the interstate after just leaving a terminal and lost the rear trailer a ways in front of me. When I saw the news that night, I found out that he had gotten about 30 miles down the road before the state police got him stopped. He didn't have any idea he'd lost a trailer and claimed it wasn't his fault as the yard guys hook them together.  As I've always told all the trainees I've had, "You are the driver and are last link of responsibility for ANYTHING that happens and should be able to avoid any problem". Car drivers today are bad enough, we don't need CDL drivers that had it easy getting a CDL.
  Yet anyone can drive an RV as big as a house. WackoCensored

Edited by PaulB - 30 Nov 2021 at 12:59pm
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 10:42am
Funny thing about all this is a half blind, half deaf old fart that has never driven anything more than a Prius can go buy a huge 4 door 1 ton diesel and a 40 foot travel trailer, drive it off the lot and become a menace on the road with just a regular license, but a guy trying to earn a living has to jump through the hoops. Probably the only thing that they teach at the driving schools is how to pee in a bottle without stoping and then throw it out along the highwaySmile
DanWi View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanWi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 12:14pm
Neighbor who has been driving semi for over 10 years around the farm went and got his CDL this fall. He studied and past the written test and studied and past the pretrip. The things that got him on his first driving test were coasting to far before a stop, not stopping before the stop sign, grabbing a gear while making a turn, little things like that they can flunk you on. When he took his second test he had a different person and he did better on those little things. The guy giving him the test said he was a good driver just had developed a few bad habits When I learned to drive semi I would ride along to Milwaukee with this neighbors dad hauling corn and he would let me drive empty home. Coming out of Milwaukee on interstate 94 was like getting thrown out of a boat to learn to swim. So I haven't read through the law are farmers still exempt  hauling their own stuff.

Edited by DanWi - 30 Nov 2021 at 12:16pm
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 12:51pm
Since CDL is more or less the same all over the USA I would think medical card would be needed in state as well as out of state.

One of the wino knows everything guys that moved in to grow grapes for his wine we are over run with got the 4 door 1 ton and showed his wisdom on the test.  Took his weeks old truck and gooseneck to get his license , tester asked him to do a pre trip inspection. The guys spouted off new truck and new tailor no need to look at anything. He failed end of driving test. Wined all the way home to the guy he had got to go as the experienced driver.

As we are discussing this the SIL is in training to be a licensed trainer by the contractor he has worked for for years. The contractor is preparing to keep having drivers available. 
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by DanWi DanWi wrote:

Neighbor who has been driving semi for over 10 years around the farm went and got his CDL this fall. He studied and past the written test and studied and past the pretrip. The things that got him on his first driving test were coasting to far before a stop, not stopping before the stop sign, grabbing a gear while making a turn, little things like that they can flunk you on. When he took his second test he had a different person and he did better on those little things. The guy giving him the test said he was a good driver just had developed a few bad habits When I learned to drive semi I would ride along to Milwaukee with this neighbors dad hauling corn and he would let me drive empty home. Coming out of Milwaukee on interstate 94 was like getting thrown out of a boat to learn to swim. So I haven't read through the law are farmers still exempt  hauling their own stuff.
For a straight truck, farmers don't need anything here in MI for their own stuff.  For tractor/trailer/air brakes, there's a "farmer" version of the license you have to have, quite a bit cheaper, and do not get caught doing anything for hire.
Tad Wicks View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tad Wicks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Ray54 Ray54 wrote:

Since CDL is more or less the same all over the USA I would think medical card would be needed in state as well as out of state.

One of the wino knows everything guys that moved in to grow grapes for his wine we are over run with got the 4 door 1 ton and showed his wisdom on the test.  Took his weeks old truck and gooseneck to get his license , tester asked him to do a pre trip inspection. The guys spouted off new truck and new tailor no need to look at anything. He failed end of driving test. Wined all the way home to the guy he had got to go as the experienced driver.

Ray, they are know here as grapists and winers, pretty much covers it.LOL
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 5:57pm
New Rules coming into effect on National Drug Testing Database also .
Health Card was suppose to be in National Database also but so far has not made it . 
I got my Chauffeurs license when I was 16 (trucks only while employed) and was a separate license (just written test) and when I got out of the service MN had it a choice of put it on drivers license or separate . I kept it separate and a few years later it was part of Drivers License (no test) . If you had it part of license before they required a driving test . 
 When the new rules came in on CDL I had to take written tests to upgrade for Air Brakes , so did the full gamut of Has Mat , double / triple , tanker , . Just written tests , 
 Then came the TWIX card issued by the Coast Guard , and following year the Has Mat card and finger prints . $135 for the one and $85 for the other - background checks for both but as different agencies had to pay for both . ( MY DOD Top Secret Clearance was not good enough so agencies didn't accept that )
 Dropped both those extra cards but kept the CDL yet and 2 year medical card still required .
 Son took his B driving test in my old White 4264  tandem dump truck with 5 x 4 trany , and when he turned 18 a year later took his A test with the tag trailer behind same truck . The examiner was same woman who had tested him before and asked if he had driven truck over with trailer ( Answered Yes he had ) , she asked if he hauled equipment , ( Yes ) so she takes paperwork and said You Passed - I remember you from before . 
  Evidently she didn't like the small jump seat of the 2nd stick in front of it or the fact reverse was down onto that seat .       
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 5:59pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 6:14pm
Its my understanding - and my companies- Medical cards are manditory in state or out of state- anyone getting a new CDL should go to a little truck driving school, but you do have to pass a state DMV 50 question test--- Im out of town alot and went to one- gave all the answers, showed exactly what they want to see- the driving parts on you- but heck wasnt no big deal - single axle tractor w/ 30 ft trailer- class A with air- 150 bucks, it was fun listening to his stories of others !!! 
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2021 at 7:32pm
I work in a warehouse and 80 percent of the truck drivers I deal with can barely speak English if at all.   Sad.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 12:22am
it is and remains a REQUIREMENT, to be able to Read Speak and Understand English to get a US CDL.  Saw a MoSHP officer take a No Habla persons license quote that very requirement and began to cut it up in front of him where he magically learned English.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 6:09am
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

it is and remains a REQUIREMENT, to be able to Read Speak and Understand English to get a US CDL.  Saw a MoSHP officer take a No Habla persons license quote that very requirement and began to cut it up in front of him where he magically learned English.

No different then the day after pay day. They are in the payroll office explaining there case in fluent English.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 10:03am
they need to learn how to handle somthing with half the brakes cammed over and no jakes , over weight  and bad roads 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 10:07am
Originally posted by DougG DougG wrote:

Its my understanding - and my companies- Medical cards are manditory in state or out of state ....

When my physical was running out during COVID, and it was nearly impossible to get a doctor's appointment, I got a notice from DMV that my CDL license would be "downgraded to intrastate only" if I did not provide proof of a CDL physical before the expiration date of my previous physical (two years before).

To keep my interstate privilege, I had to have a physical by a certified CDL provider and submit written proof to DMV.

I retired from NYSDOT and several of their drivers do not have a CDL physical and can operate intrastate only. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 10:36am
The cost of our Proficiency Based Class A Training Program with automated transmissions is $5,495.00. The cost for the Class A Program in manual transmissions is $6495.00.
Local driving school costs to get your CDL here in MN 
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 6:25pm
Got my first taste of a New electronic Transmission system, Manual but the Engine ECM determines when to shift and AUTOMATICALLY decelerates the engine so can change gears.  Called Progressive Shift Control.  In our Hilly country being able to Pre-select(Anticipate) a gear for a Upcoming grade is essential, this eliminate that ability.  Had the shop techs DISABLE that for me.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2021 at 8:34pm
Drove one at a dealers , salesman asked me to take one out and tell him what i thought of it . All the shifts seemed to be off from what I would chose and just down shifting seemed funky . Told him the programing must be off on it . 
 Truck was going to a dedicated route for a contractor and would be hauling mostly same flatbed cargo on every trip of around 36,000 freight load . 
 Told the salesman they would be back for programing if it went out the way it was . 
NDBirdman View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NDBirdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 3:55pm
What gets me is how most states will let anyone drive any HDT with no license or training if they use it to pull a camper.  One forum I'm on has a lot of them, buy a truck, buy a big camper to pull and take off.  Very few states requires them to have a non-commercial CDL for campers, some pretty heavy, 48-50 foot long.  When I see one, I do my best to put a lot of distance between them and I.
I have a CDL but if ND gets that pissy about having/keeping one, I'll be happy to let it go.  I've been retired 12 years, don't really need it any longer.
1955 WD45 S#205467, 190XT #6652 DXT
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2021 at 6:04pm
So long as has a RV Plate they are good to go same here, HOWEVER, they place one conventional load trailer on it and the tickets Do Fly!!!  Know that as one retiree did that with a Full Ton Dodge, RV or AUTO Plates not weight tags, pulled a small flatbed to local Lumber Yard and got stopped on way home, cost him PLENTY in fines.  States such in the License documents, that he did NOT read.
Hoff907 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoff907 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 10:51am
This came up yesterday at work. One of our compliance guys comes in, and starts talking, he is pretty good at training. He told us that if you have a tanker/hazmat endorsement you have to have taking a tanker road test within the last three years.

So now fuel truck drivers have to test every three years? Wow, no wonder the cost of gas is $4
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2021 at 1:02pm
I was told of licensing changes as that, I will keep a Class A but dropping everything else.  Let the suffering begin as Drivers disappear Faster.  Nearly NONE to haul the Crap now, leave it to the Current Admin to determine where that will go.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic