This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cannot Win!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannot Win!!
    Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 1:35pm
Went to start old Fat Allis 7G, grunted and quit, Batteries gone almost instantly. Throw on the boost charger and managed to get running where after an hour shut it down to see if would restart, No Go. Off to CARQUEST, time to replace the four year old group 31s and just like that starts like no tomorrow!! Then rain sets back in.
Sponsored Links

coo1959 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coo1959 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 2:51pm
"Ol' Fat Allis" - that kills me!!!!!!!!!! I named my old Forklift "ol' Allis" but you went one better! I wish that I had thought of that name for my old girl!. Those old machines do take on a temperament all of their own, don't they". They  seem to possess certain female traits sometimes, dont they?

These Hilarious Memes On Married Life Will Leave You In Splits
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:51pm
My last HD6 did that. Ground cable from battery to frame got replaced. I was cleaning the ground when I saw the cable was nothing but corrosion. NAPA made me a heavy duty cable.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 10:37pm
Must be this spell of cold weather we're having!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 2:44am
Four years old and need replacement?

With what we get here in Oz you'd be lucky to get two!
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 2:15pm
Just reading about you guys and your battery lifes; just made me feel alot better !
Not to be cheeky about it though.
In wintertime here in NZ, so common time for batterys to die. One D6 batterys had been getting abit tired and they died 2 weeks ago on a cold morning. But just looked up book and they were in it when i bought it, so have to be 12 years old.
Went to start 2nd D6 this week as hadn,t started her for 2 months because of this lockdown crap here.  But  batterys in her had decided NO too.Cry  But also looking up in my notebook see they are 9 years old too.  But bugga, 4 batterys will be best part of $1000 gone. Pacific pesos don,t buy alot down here. Cry

tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 4:41pm
Merv

For a local pointer - what brand are you going to get?

What we get all seems to have a two year warranty and seems to usually only just make that
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 6:04pm
All US batteries are now Recycled Lead, is a mine south of here still delivering SOME lead ore but not much so recycling the old plates to make new is their current big work. After a beating riding on my old Fat Allis(Moniker for Fiat Allis) they just do not hang in there.

Cranked up well after the swap so happy, alternator charging just fine.
HD6 Merv View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6 Merv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 9:10pm
Were NZ made "Supercharge" batterys for the 9 year old ones Ian. Are 950 CCA.  Other ones im not sure, know when i pull them out. But are the big heavy duty size ones you would use in a D8.
tits tyres and tracks

they all cost you money
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 3:13am
We get Supercharge here - not sure if it those had the Yuasa link so will check.

I work ours harder as we don't have winters usually much below 0 C.  So the FA 10 and even the AC Forty Five grader get by on N70ZZ Landcruiser batteries.  Obviously both are good enough to start readily - the AC 45 just got a reconditioned Delco M 42 starter as the Dyer drive quit
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2020 at 5:39am
I've heard you should replace ALL the batteries at the same time, al lthe same brand/CCA. While only one may be 'bad' ( won't take full charge ), it'll drag down the others.  I scored 3 good semitruck batteries as the O/O driver replaced all  4 in my driveway when he couldn't startup.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic