This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calling on ya'lls memory for a quote,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calling on ya'lls memory for a quote,,,,
    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 11:13pm

Well,,long bout maybe 2 years ago,,I posted on here bout an older 200 amp Miller Welder powered by an Onan 2 cylinder on a small 2 wheeled trailer,,,, Well, I got the engine overhauled with new rings, bearings and replaced both the intake valves. Got it all lashed up and engine started right up and ran great. I tested the welder and it also worked many wonderfuls and welded great. The guvnor would rev up as needed so I called it good. Well the plans for the mods up at the place in the mountains got changed, then the wife's health issues started so I parked it in the boat shed and where it's been since then.
A friend of mine was telling his buddy about and he asked me if it for sale as he was really interested in it. SO,,,after an hour or two of moving chit from in front of it,,fina;llt got it out and both tires are ruined from settin, Got it to shop and hooked up a battery and she fired up pretty as you please,,,,WinkWinkbut,,,but,,,I wasn't surprised,,,Ya know,,,seein as that's how I fix em,,,,WinkWink
 Anybody care to venture as to what the value of such a machine?? I know ole Thad had a big interest in the machine,,,,??? THese pics don't show the latest mods as I plumbed both exhausts to the side and down to under the machine to a muffler that exhausts to front of machine.

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 4:38am
Be hard pressed to bust $800 from it.  Had it been a SA Series Lincoln Pipeliner they are still selling in the thousand dollar ranges.  I have a relatively new Thermalarc with a 20hp Honda where is also a 10kw generator for backup power, will only bring a grand or so as been explained by weld supplier shop.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:07am
maybe see what new ones cost  and hopefully get  1/2 (probably a 1/3rd) ??
I know, ya rebuilt it and it looks like new but........it is 'used'.
 heck if you can double your 'input costs' you'd be doing Ok...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:43am
Just put it on a pallet and ship it to ole Thad. Maybe let him reimburse you for the shipping cost. LOL That way you can get it out of your building and won't have to spend all that time digging it out next time. Problem solved.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:18am

Well,,I was thinkin,,and hoping for bout $987.31 for the package and think a 900 dollar bill will suit me fine,,,,,,,,,Wink Oh and by the way,, it is also a 5 KVA generator according to the tag.
 Hubert,,, you loveable thing,,,you,,,!!!!LOLLOL
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 1:02pm
CHIT Joe... i would be talking to the Local Antique Farm Equip Club.. That thing would look GREAT on  its small 2 wheel trailer behind a B Tractor !!  Should be worth an extra $100. as an "ANTIQUE"  !! ...maybe.. maybe.. steel wheels ? Wink

Edited by steve(ill) - 05 Apr 2021 at 1:03pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Hubert (Ga)engine7 Hubert (Ga)engine7 wrote:

Just put it on a pallet and ship it to ole Thad. Maybe let him reimburse you for the shipping cost. LOL That way you can get it out of your building and won't have to spend all that time digging it out next time. Problem solved.

Hubert I like the way you think.👍
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:29pm

Well ,,,shovel me tenders,,Boys,,,DANG,,if ole Thad didn't just slide in on ole Hubert's open invitation,,,,,,,Wink One would even tend to start thinkin them two is in cahoots on getting that welder to Thad with little or nuttin effort,,,,,Wink
 Maybe I just need to stay out the way and let them two do their Palaverin on how much the gonna let ole Joe have for that "Antique" like ole Steve is sayin,,,,Clap
 It'd be OK as long as they don't want ME to pay THEM,,,,,,WinkWink
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:22pm
As I recall yours is Ac/Dc and mine is just AC.
I’d much prefer the DC.
I’ve used mine a few times but mainly the generator.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well ,,,shovel me tenders,,Boys,,,DANG,,if ole Thad didn't just slide in on ole Hubert's open invitation,,,,,,,Wink One would even tend to start thinkin them two is in cahoots on getting that welder to Thad with little or nuttin effort,,,,,Wink
 Maybe I just need to stay out the way and let them two do their Palaverin on how much the gonna let ole Joe have for that "Antique" like ole Steve is sayin,,,,Clap
 It'd be OK as long as they don't want ME to pay THEM,,,,,,WinkWink

Hell Joe, if you're willing to pay to get rid of it then I'll jump on the list too!!! If you pay shipping I'll gladly be here to handle the receiving 😁
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:30pm

NOW,,,,WAIT JUST A GOLDURN MINUTE,,,,GUYS,,,,how'd we get this thing turned around like ya'll did,,,,,,,,
 while I HAVE been told I'm kinda slow by some of the fair se'ex,,it only cause they wanted me to go even slower,,,,but that don't mean I gonna be slow all the time,,,,,,,Chit,,I done forgot who owes who,,,,,,WinkLOL
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:25am
Well there good buddy..... My thought process is I'm closer to Hubert and possibly closer to Thad then you are. I can mediate between the two (and maybe finagle slightly due to my proximity) and maybe discover their angle you see. Either way, just send that puppy right on and I'll see to it she gets where she needs to go.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 6:36am
Ain’t nuthin purdier than a blue welder in the back of a Black square body traveling down hwy 62 just outside Eurekee.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Thad in AR. Thad in AR. wrote:

Ain’t nuthin purdier than a blue welder in the back of a Black square body traveling down hwy 62 just outside Eurekee.

I wondered where the trk was goin when I caught a glimpse of it headed in a cloud of dust headed east,,,,,,,,,,WinkWink
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 11:40pm

Well,,Ya'll know how the sayin goes,,,"When anything "sets" long enough,,,it'll start to set",,,,( I thought of that one all by my self),,,,,,LOLLOL
 Anyway,,after ole Thad reminded me,,,,the Welder/Generator has been settin for nigh on 5 years or mayhaps even longer,,,,,,I got it out the boat shed and brought it up to the shop and after a few shots of start fluid it finally started ,,,,but it sure did NOT want to,,!! I pulled the carb and cleaned it out as had some gookies build up. Tried it again and still would only run with almost full choke which is indication of starving for fuel. Flushed the gas tank and it had some brownish chit in it and one bug,,,,,?Tried again and engine STILL wants bout 3/4 choke to continue to run and ragged as it is,,,WTF,,? pulled carb again and used a wire pilled from a wire brush and all the crannies I can see are clear and flushed with carb cleaner,,STILL wants 3/4 choke,,,I'm gettin MAD long bout here,,,,,!!!!
 Decide to try the welder part and it won't weld either!! It has a knife switch for switching from welder to generator and so I sandpaper all the knife contacts and VIOLA,,It works again!  BUT it still will NOT run but with almost full choke on,,,So,,after the 5th time of removing the friggin carb AND the manifold, I'm ready to try something else. I've got a buyer waiting on this machine and I am pizzed,,!!!
 I checked out Ebay and Amazon and a new carb can be had for $45, but the mounting bolts of the new carb are 2 1/4" center to center and the old carb is 1 3/4" center to center,,,!!  THose that have worked on these Onans, know the carb bolts to the manifold from the bottom up,,is why manifold has to be removed to work on carb.
 Now,, I have an idea for making a "spacer/adapter" to install the new carb with the 2 1/4" bolt spacing on the 1 3/4" bolt spacing manifold,,,,,,,
Has anybody done something like this,,,??  I should mention that Exact in kind replacement carbs  for the CCKA Onans are available for $356 IF you can find one,,,and I ain't gonna look at them prices,,,,WinkWink
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 2:02am
i'll trade ya even up for the Chevy/Allis!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 4:36am
Did ye check the points to make sure they was absolute clean?
and how about if that thing has any filters or screens in the gasline or tank? 
 Check the fuel pump and clean that too??? So the check valves all work?
  Check the manifold gaskets so you don't have an air leak? 
 Maybe one of the lines is cracked an letting air in?
did ye turn the gas valve on farther than a half turn??
 maybe the gasket in fuel pump made from cereal box done got tired ? Ermm  LOL
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 7:57am
Joe check the points and timing. They are very finicky on these. I had a very hard time getting mine to run when I put it back together. It acted just like you say. One of us had to slot the timing plate to get it to run. Been so long I can’t exactly remember.
I went and peeked at mine the other night after we talked. Pretty paint on the gas tank is wrinkled up and gas smelled terrible.
I assume I’ll be going through the same one day.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 8:24am
If there's Ethenol in the fuel and its left for a long time without any Stabil or additive of some sort in it, the fuel turns to crap and plugs everything up. Makes a mess, and ya pull yer' hair out tryin' to get it goin' again. Don't ask me how I know that!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 9:24am

GREAT Points JC, Thad and Steve,,,Clap OH and Shameless,,,,no fair,,,"IF" I'm rememberin correctly,,,you had quoted me a price for the Chevy Allis,,that was a few songs lower then the Miller is worth,,, Now,,I maybe havin a few issues with my danged old memory on the price you gave me,,,,and when I get these little bitty issues worked out,,,,,,AND,,,,AND,,,I WILL,,,!! I will have a better "pallavering spot than I gots right at this minute,,,,,,LOLLOL

OK,,now that we gots those issues ironed out,,,I had went ahead and ordered one of them new carbs on Ebay cause it listed the place it was gonna be shipped out of as HUMBLE, TEXAS which last time I looked is in the USA,,,right?? So I figured we was looking at a week for delivery.  NOPE,,NOT TO BE,,,!! Soon as I hit the "BUY"  button it calculated the tax and gave me the total,,which was OK but then the delivery screen comes up with a 2 week delivery date FROM CHINA!!  I contacted the seller several times right quick,,,but no response as of this morning,,,SO, I CANCELLED THE SALE last night and notified Ebay of the discreptancy,,,!!  Ebay notified me that I cannot cancel the sale til Sunday. Them AH's got to get up way earlier then that to get to ole joe,,,,,
 Gonna try all of ya'lls suggestions today.....I'm OK now,,,,sigh,,,,,Clap
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 1:08am
Well I sure hope you got it fixed by now Joe and it's running like a boy from an unhappy husband!  Ya gotta watch that dang ebuy cause they are changing their way of doin business all the time an it seems the BUYER is the guy gettin the short end of the stick.  An now that that other Jo......thet bumbling Biden is in bed with China agin,,,,,,,,well, things just ain't gonna bode well for us.  Remember back a few years when we'd say 'thet Japanese junk'?  This new 'junk' is even worse!
Patience my boy, patience.  You'll get it.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 6:20am
Where we at on this thing Joe? I need an update.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 9:17am

Well,,,a bit of an update on the Miller/Onan welder project,,,,,
 I got the new carb the other day and since I had already fabbed the bottom half of the new "Adapter",,I set, measured and welded the top flange up and painted it purdy,,,, The Onan has a hand primer and after a few pumps I hit the starter switch and,,,,and,,,thet sob started up and ran like ole Shameless's shoes when he sees an auction going on,,,,,LOL
 It does tho,,,that new carb was what the Onan was lookin for,,,,,Clap
 The Only'ist thing I cannot figure is how the dang mechanical guvnor is susspossed to work and my friggin computor is acting up and WILL NOT resize the pics from my IPhone AGAIN,,!! The existing guvnor arm bolted right up to the new carb so,,,,?  Anyway,,when I strike an arc with the welder ,,the engine will NOT rev up just keeps loading up and will finally almost die down,,,," SOOo,,I raised the idle HANDLE to the middle position and it will weld like crazy but engine RPMs never change til I stop welding and lower the idle handle,,,I don't think  that is how it susspossed to work,,,,"
 Any kind words of wisdom,,,??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by desertjoe desertjoe wrote:

Well,,,a bit of an update on the Miller/Onan welder project,,,,,
 I got the new carb the other day and since I had already fabbed the bottom half of the new "Adapter",,I set, measured and welded the top flange up and painted it purdy,,,, The Onan has a hand primer and after a few pumps I hit the starter switch and,,,,and,,,thet sob started up and ran like ole Shameless's shoes when he sees an auction going on,,,,,LOL
 It does tho,,,that new carb was what the Onan was lookin for,,,,,Clap
 The Only'ist thing I cannot figure is how the dang mechanical guvnor is susspossed to work and my friggin computor is acting up and WILL NOT resize the pics from my IPhone AGAIN,,!! The existing guvnor arm bolted right up to the new carb so,,,,?  Anyway,,when I strike an arc with the welder ,,the engine will NOT rev up just keeps loading up and will finally almost die down,,,," SOOo,,I raised the idle HANDLE to the middle position and it will weld like crazy but engine RPMs never change til I stop welding and lower the idle handle,,,I don't think  that is how it susspossed to work,,,,"
 Any kind words of wisdom,,,??

Joe they have to run at 3600 to weld or 1800 for the generator side.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 4:59pm
Low speed is generator
Medium speed low current for welding and high speed for high setting on welder
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 8:22pm

I had just about come to that conclusion, Thad,,,,,this thing I'm thinking to be a guvnor is just a low idle, medium idle and a high idle for the particular job you wanting to do,,,Clap
 You remember the little fuel primer pump with the small handle,,,?? That sob started to leak a little oil and that little thing is way under the carb with NO WAY to get to the 1/4" bolts,,,,,SOOOOO,,,I got to take the friggin intake/exhaust manifold off Yet again,,,,,,why didn't that sob leak yesterday,,,,,????WinkWink
 I got a brother of my friend that wants this thing bout as bad as I want to sell it to him,,,,,, so I shot him a price,,,he rolled his eyes a time or two,,,said he'd think on it,,,,soooo I pull out a copy of a screenshot I'd just taken from a Miller welder forum where a dude sold one just like mine with one of the cylinders smokin ,,,,,$1,200,,,,!!  He never rolled his eyes at me no more,,,,,Said he'd bring me the money in the mornin,,,,,ClapClap
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 8:49pm

test
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 8:58pm
OK, my 3rd son from El Paso is here and is a little guru with PC's so I asked him to help on resizing pics and he showed me an easy way long as I don't forget,,,,,,,
 Ya'll see the square box that has the little arm that has the spring attached to it,,??  That arm is constantly trying to move back and forth bout 1/4" but is controlled by the manual handle at the front of the engine,,, SO,,what is the purpose of the little arm? THe throttle rod is controlled by the lever arm (handle) at the front of engine,,,,so that little arm can go back and forth all it wants to but cannot move the throttle rod till the operator does,,,right?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 9:16pm
Desert Sparky,
Is that a model AEAD?
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:13am

Desert Sparky,,,,??,,,,,desert sparky,,,JC,,?    HMMmmm,,,,let me dwell on that one a bit,,,,,LOL Actually, JC,, it is a Miller AEAD 200 LE 200 amp, with a Onan CCKA  Twin Cylinder electric start,,,you wanna but it??Wink
 The guy lookin at it now, is gonna surprise me if it don't go ho,e with him this morning after I put a new gasket on the priming pump,,,other than that,,ot ready to go home with somebody,,,,,Clap
 I will say this,,,I would consider a trade for a great running TO20 engine,,,,,?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic