This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Call all Surveyors……….

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Call all Surveyors……….
    Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 5:34pm
What does the following mean;
Thence S 00 17’ 38” E, 75 feet along common line.
I understand the 75 feet part.
After the 00 there is supposed to be the a small degree symbol.

Also, how legal is ‘All bearings were based on GPS observations, NAD83 Texas Central 4203?
I am having trouble locating two rebar rods(control monuments).
Thanks in advance.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:18pm
The  00 is DEGREES... the 17 and 38 are FRACTIONS of 1 degree.. The S means SOUTH direction.
-----------------------------------

How do you read survey degrees minutes seconds?
The numbers indicate three units of measurement — degrees, minutes, and seconds — while the letters indicate the cardinal direction of the measurement. Coordinates that say E 29° 04' 05" E, for example, would represent a measurement that is 29 degrees, 4 minutes, 5 seconds from the east to the west.

Edited by steve(ill) - 15 Nov 2023 at 6:22pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:28pm
FWIW..

re: I am having trouble locating two rebar rods(control monuments).

WHEN you find them, dig around them and drop a car rotor around the bars !! That way ANY 'metal detector' will find them! Also the new circle of grass will look different than the rest of the field.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:31pm
Lars... i think i means if you are standing at a POINT and facing EAST... the lot line is just a fraction of a degree to the south.... Basically it is slightly SOUTH of DUE EAST..... small enough that you will probably not be able to measure from DUE EAST.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:35pm
GPS is now used for a lot of surveying... It is within a 1/4 of an inch in hundreds of feet distance.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

GPS is now used for a lot of surveying... It is within a 1/4 of an inch in hundreds of feet distance.

But only when corrected for the N Pole wobble and runs.  Old guy surveyed our place for the final finance went Old School as GPA was a conspicuously Incorrect during that period when the Pole was running all across northern region.  We found the upside down fence posts and old shafts of iron with little need of GPS.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:43pm
you 'should' be able to use 'smart phone' as a GPS device ???

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

FWIW..

re: I am having trouble locating two rebar rods(control monuments).

WHEN you find them, dig around them and drop a car rotor around the bars !! That way ANY 'metal detector' will find them! Also the new circle of grass will look different than the rest of the field.

Unfortunately the 2 I can’t locate, are supposedly on the ‘stone lined embankment of drainage ditch’ which is overgrown with brush, scrub, etc.
According to the printed measurements, that’s where they are supposed to be, according to the survey drawing, those markers are 6-7 feet back farther into my property, in relation to landmarks on the map. The surveyor signed off on the printed statement of measures, and the drawing(map). On the map, all the monuments are noted, with the distances between. But does not correlate when a tape measure is put to it.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:55pm

Is that true, 10-12 years ago?
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:56pm

Lars... i think i means if you are standing at a POINT and facing EAST... the lot line is just a fraction of a degree to the south.... Basically it is slightly SOUTH of DUE EAST..... small enough that you will probably not be able to measure from DUE EAST.

👍
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

you 'should' be able to use 'smart phone' as a GPS device ???

Not sure, I have an iPhone 7+.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 7:12pm
I found ‘the beginning monument’, in the NE corner, measured to the S, and found the 2nd right on boundary with neighbor, then measured to the west along boundary to the spot where the 3rd monument is stated(supposedly on embankment), but can’t locate. From there it gives measure to the N ‘to a point located in the East bank of stone lined drainage ditch for a common corner said XXX tract and XXX tract.
Then from there E along common line X feet to the place of beginning. The first 3 monuments are mentioned with the cap #, but the 4th just indicates ‘a point’.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 8:32pm
If they are rebar monuments, take a metal detector with you, when you are close.  Chopping the brush back is likely necessary...
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

If they are rebar monuments, take a metal detector with you, when you are close.  Chopping the brush back is likely necessary...

I’ve cleaned away a few feet from the area #3 rebar is supposed to be located. For now I’m going with the assumption #3, and #4 do not exist, regardless what the map or stated directions indicate. If the current map drawing is based on GPS, my gut tells me the surveyor did not walk the parcel and place/confirm the two missing monuments.

Edited by Lars(wi) - 15 Nov 2023 at 8:56pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 10:12am
So as for legality, what holds more weight, the printed statement of measures on the deed, or the surveyors drawing(map)? Both of which are signed by a surveyor?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 11:24am
Don't know BUT is the surveyor still alive, or the company he worked for ??
Someone should be responsible for validating the survey, so contact local 'city hall' and ask them, possibly the building department ?? If the survey SHOWS bars, surveyor HAS to find them ??
I know Hamilton here 'lost' all of Town of Flamborough records,so homeowners are responsible to find paperwork !
Possibly the deed holds more weight , as it's a legal document, filed with a government, used for 'land transactions' but the survey IS the piece of legal paper that SHOWS the land boundaries.
Dang it is a mess !! Maybe take out 'title insurance' just in case ??

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2023 at 1:27pm
I think I figured it out. The 3 monuments mentioned, are the ‘starting point’(monument 1),which is the NE corner of my parcel(corner city lot), the 2nd is at the boundary with my next door neighbor, 3rd is continuing S to my neighbors boundary with his next door neighbor on the other side. My west boundaries are referred to as points on the ditch embankment(not monuments). The measure from monument 1, going W meets the ditch embankment, the measure from monument 2 going west meets the ditch embankment.
200Tom1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 200Tom1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2023 at 10:05pm
I'd ask my grandson, but he is in Saudi Arabia doing surveying for the US Government.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic