This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Calcium chloride

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Calcium chloride
    Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:00pm
Unfortunately, I need to deal with CC. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to drain the tube most of the way while it's still on the tractor?  I'd be handling is myself, without access to a chain-fall. I'd also like to save the tire and rim if at all possible the tube will be replaced. One suggestion has been to jack that side of the tractor up just enough to slide half a bucket underneath and drill a 2/8" hole in it and let it drain, dumping the bucket half into a tote or five gallon pails. Not sure of any other way to do it, open to suggestions.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
Sponsored Links

Chris/CT View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris/CT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:09pm
Here's how I would do it. Jack tractor up on side your working on. Break bead on outside of tire. Push tire back, and cut big slit in tube, let CC drain out. Yank tube out and wash out inside of tire, install new tube and done. Now, I know this sounds simple which it really is [ when you watch tire guy's do it], I'm assuming some details also.
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:17pm
put the valve stem at the top and fake out the core. put a hose on it then rotate to the bottom. Gravitry will pump most of it thru the hose into the bucket. When it gets low rotate back to the top add air install the hose again rotate back to the bottom and let the jack down. this shold get it low enough to handle the tire. I think i only had a couple gallons left, after dismounting the tire I pulled the tube and drained the rest out.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:26pm
both ideas sound good, thanks guys. best guess, howmany gallons does a full tire hold? i'd like to put the dtuff back in to the new tube, the main thing right now is repairing the rim where the old tube leaked around the valve stem. i am doing this on my phone right now so i can
t post pics but i will tommarow after i get home from school
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
MNLonnie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MNLonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:31pm
Here is a tire ballast chart that might help you figure how much is in there. 14.9/28 is 53 gallons. 

Edited by MNLonnie - 16 Mar 2011 at 9:33pm
Waukesha B, B, IB, G, styled WF, D15, 615 backhoe, 2-Oliver OC3's, 4 Ford Model T's, 3 Model A Fords, AV8 Coupe, AV8 Roadster, 1933 Ford Wrecker
ICTRCTR View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICTRCTR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 9:46pm

You can purchase an adaptor from most farm stores that attaches to the valve stem,which you can put a garden hose on to drain the cc. there is also a small transfer pump that is available that uses a garden hose, slow but works fine.like from a small portable sprayer. remember cc will shrink shoes and leather gloves.
bobkyllo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobkyllo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2011 at 10:13pm
like others have said just put a hose on the valve stem and rotate the tire down. if you get this stuff on you you will become sticky. also it burns if you get it in a cut. when your done draining this stuff you will have about 5 to 10 gallons left in the tire. it will be heavy.
AaronH View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AaronH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 8:41am
Dont get it on anything you dont want to corrode. The stuff is nasty. burns, and eats. CC weighs 11lbs per gallon.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 9:18am
Usingthe jack and rotating tire with valve stem from top to bottom , adding air and leaving trie all the way to the ground on jack works well to pump it out, doin my 16.9X24 tires that way I had only a few gallons left in old tube.
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Toneman1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toneman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 2:19pm
Anyone on here using the Rim Guard,  which is made from Beet juice.  Not sure of the cost versus the Calcium Chloride but it is harmless to the rims and supposedly everything else.
Don't worry about the mule going blind, just load the wagon.
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 4:38pm
Calcium chloride was thought to be safe for rims at one point in time to.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
AC WD45 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC WD45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2011 at 4:58pm
Well, I did the hose to the valve stem trick about an hour ago.  Just about there, I have a 20 gallon tub full ant the bottom of a large bucket. Working quite well it should be done in another half hour. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Pics to come.
German Shepherd dad
1957 Allis Chalmers WD45
#WD234847
1951 Allis Chalmers WD
#WD88193
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic