This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA with 13-6 24 Firestones

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA with 13-6 24 Firestones
    Posted: 24 Oct 2018 at 7:58pm
Where would be a good place to start with TIRE PRESSURE . Plan is to pull in 2500.3000 and 3500 on a pretty hard packed clay track.  I don't agree with the idea that, if the sidewalls don't wrinkle let out air till they do.
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 4:36am
Look at your holes when you spin out. If the hole is flat on the bottom you’re about right. Humped up in the middle, you’re too low. Dished out on the bottom and you have too much pressure. Every tire/rim combination will require a different optimum pressure. What pressure have you been using? Start there and make appropriate changes. There is no one pressure that will be ideal for every track for every different moisture condition.

Edited by PaulB - 25 Oct 2018 at 4:52am
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 5:57am
Some people have the idea you can pull on any track without making changes. You can, but you probably won't be successful.

Depending on the track, you will want to increase air pressure for a hard track and decrease (and you may want to increase hitch length) for a soft track. On the combo you are talking about, I would probably start out about 4 PSI and adjust like PaulB says.

I would also buy a couple clip-on air chucks and about 10' of air hose. Clip it on to equalize air pressure in your rear tires. Mine has two T's in it and I have a 10 PSI air gauge and a valve to add air.
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2018 at 7:31am
     I like both if your ideas . I think the lowest pressure I usually ran was 4.  13-6 0n 11 inch rims sitting on concrete, it looks like the outer edges of the lugs just begin to touch the floor at about  6 psi. That was with a full load of water. With no water it may be less.
     Being I usually get  picked to be the tractor used to set the sled for the lightest class first pullers.   They like to make things interesting for spectators by stopping most pullers  just a couple tractor lengths short  of a full pull in all weight classes .
     BTW  I got my hook point set  firm at 20 high and 20 and 1/2 long . Zero clevis movement in any direction.   I got to thinkin with a real long drawbar  the height gets inches lower as the tractor front comes up.   I'm running out of time to make any hitch changes.  What I have to work with is tire pressure, weight placement and what gear to pull in. Second is touchy with oversize tires and the 3 1/2 MPH SPEED LIMIT.  I may have time to drill and cut a 3 inch hole in a piece of plate  to shorten the drawbar length a bit and keep it at 20 high.  Got to look in my scrap iron pile first for some suitable material. Maybe just a heavy U bolt will get me where I want to be. I'm off to the junk pile.

Edited by Ken in Texas - 25 Oct 2018 at 7:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic