This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA transmission in a B

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA transmission in a B
    Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 12:12pm
A friend has a B and its kinda slow on the road when we go in tractor drives.  He always ends up in the slow group and I end up in the fast on my 45. 

Would a CA transmission or even whole rear end bolt up or am I dreaming?

Sponsored Links

Kip-Utah View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip-Utah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 12:28pm
CA tranny will bolt right in. If this is primarily a tractor drive/show tractor, you might also consider 12.4x24 tires. And if you have not done it already, update governor spring to one from a CA, D10, D12, D14, or one from a power unit.
HANSEN'S OLD ORANGE IRON. Showing, Pulling, & Going!!
GregLawlerMinn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregLawlerMinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 12:36pm
Many of the B/C/CA parts are interchangeable. There are numerous B/C/CA "hybreds" out there. The CA tranny/rear end would bolt up. The CA axles are wider than the B axles; therefore a swap of the rear end would entail a swap of the floor pan, rock shaft, pistons, brake rods, and the rockshaft/fender supports (basically everything behind the torque tube). You would also get a "upgrade" on the hydraulics, as the CA hyd pump is 2 piston pump, the same as the WD/WD45 and, if you keep the axle clutch with the CA, you would also enjoy "live" power on the pto and hydraulics.
What this country needs is more unemployed politicians-and lawyers.
Currently have: 1 D14 and a D15S2.
With new owners: 2Bs,9CAs,1WD,2 D12s,5D14s,3D15S2s, 2D17SIVs,D17D,1D19D;1 Unstyled WC
Nathan (SD) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nathan (SD) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 1:20pm

I don't think a CA was any faster than a B if their tires are the same size.

countryguy828 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countryguy828 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 2:40pm
How about 14.9-24's?
Roddo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 3:39pm
So did it get another intermediate gear then?  I figured the CA 4 gear had a faster road gear.
R.W View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R.W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 4:07pm
The B had 3 speeds and reverse and a top speed of 7.8mph and the CA had 4 speeds and reverse and a top speed of around 12mph.
In Search Of: 1958 Allis Chalmers D17 Diesel serial #9643D
Max(ia) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Max(ia) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 4:50pm
Check my CA through Radar once, 10mph with 12.4  24s.   Too slow even for the Slow Group on a ride.   Most say you have to maintain 10 mph.  Hiccup and you're way behind.   lol.   
Lonn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:16pm
Be easier to make a set of tall wheels to bolt up to the B hub. Took me about 6 hours to build 38" wheels to fit my Dad's WC using band dual rims, steel 1 1/2" wide by 3/16" thick straps, a welder, and a level. That way you can put it back original pretty easy.
-- --- .... .- -- -- .- -.. / .-- .- ... / .- / -- ..- .-. -.. . .-. .. -. --. / -.-. .... .. .-.. -.. / .-. .- .--. .. ... -
Wink
I am a Russian Bot
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:23pm
The Nebraska test showed 11.2 mph for a CA. Adding a CA trans and 12.4 tires would make the B much better on the road.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 7:30pm
The final drive gears in a B are faster than the C. If I rember right the final drive gears in the CA are the same as the C. That should make the B faster than a CA if you have the same size tires on the B as you would have on the CA.
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:02pm
Dick L is right, a B with a CA transmission will be faster than a CA, especially if you use the CA governor spring.  Using tooth counts from the parts books, the final drive ratio for the B is 4.79, and the CA's is 5.92  There are several different ratios for the C, depending on serial number and whether steel wheels are installed, but the most common is probably 5.46.  If my math is right, a B with a CA transmission, tires, and governor spring should top out at almost 14 mph.  Add a D15 series II governor spring and you can probably get past 15 or 16.
Chalmersbob View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chalmersbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:26pm
My  CA with a power unit spring gets me about 14 MPH. It has tall 10 x 24 tires. Bob
Roddo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roddo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:30pm
Thanks for all the replies.  Hoping to find a CA transmission in a bone yard or from a guy I know.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic