This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA, rebuilt, starter turning slow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erober02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA, rebuilt, starter turning slow
    Posted: 14 Dec 2019 at 12:41pm
hello All, 
   First time post, so, bear with me. 
I am working on a 51, CA wiring. This a 6v, positive ground system. Using the parts manual schematic with a new harness. I can not get the starter to turn fast enough to even come close to starting it. The battery is good. Load tested and holding at 6.9 volts. Did I miss something? is my starter bad? 
Any input would be appreciated. 
thanks.  
Sponsored Links

Larry in NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry in NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2019 at 1:03pm
You need to post this question in Farm Equipment.  This section is for Forum use help.   I suspect your problem is the battery cables.   6v systems require a very good ground.  You need a heavy ground cable, originally that tractor had a wire mess ground cable.   All of the connections need to be tight and clean. 
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 11:46am
This has been moved to the Farm Equipment page.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 12:02pm
The engine doesn't need to turn over fast to start. If it is tuned up properly, it should fire after the second or third compression stroke.
 If you starter is rebuilt and won't roll it over good, start fixing battery cables and connections. The starter grounds with the set screw that holds it, and the contact of the starter in the casting hole. Clean that, along with both ends of the battery cables, or replace the cables with the proper size for 6 volt systems.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 12:21pm
erober2,
 Welcome! We might need some additional information. CTucker is right they dont turn fast. Have you have the tractor started before? Have you done work to it? (other than electrical?) 
Do you have a hand crank for it too?
Well your starter could be bad, worn, dirty, .... I have seen it all. But if your battery is good and the grounds are good, it should spin over good. Maybe take the plugs out and see how it spins the engine over.
The 6 volt systems will work very well if they are "tuned" up in good shape.
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 12:48pm
Could be the 'push to start' 'starter' switch. Bypass that with a jumper cable and compare spin rpm. If faster, the switch needs to be rebuilt/filed/replaced.
I 'cheated' on my 51.. added a real Ford type solenoid and 12 volt battery. Always started 1-2 seconds...
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2019 at 4:25pm
I am confused. Was the engine rebuilt? And now the starter won't turn it?
In that case you have a major assembly problem, excess friction. Be glad it didn't start
or it could have self destructed.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 12:23am
6v works, but because it uses half the voltage as a 12v system, it takes twice the amps to do the same job. If you put new cables on from a parts store, most likely they are 04 or 06 gauge which is not nearly heavy enough. You can find out if cables are your problem by doing a voltage drop test. If you read more than .5v on a voltage drop test, you need to either clean the connections or bigger cables. 02 gauge is the bare minimum, but 00 is better.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 6:20am
BJ brings up perhaps the 'key' issue. You MUST have big, fat, clean battery connections ! Something like arc welder cables, preferably 'swaged and molded' NOT clamp on ends.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dave Wisc. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Wisc. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 8:46am
My B is on 6 volts they are right big cables and good starter and it will turn over good.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 9:24am
erober02,
How is it going?
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 9:38am
I'm sure this dumb but is a 2/0 cable the same as a 00? Maybe try running a cable from the battery + to the bolt that holds the starter in place since that is where the starter grounds to the tractor. 6v turns really slow compaired to 12v but it sounds like the starter doesn't spin fast enough to engage the ring gear.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 9:42am
A few things to do first:

Fully charge the 6V Battery (slow charge) then pull a draw test to make sure the Battery is in good shape to do the job.

1 gauge or heavier Battery cables for 6V. In the case of 6V, bigger is better. (2/0 etc)

Make sure the mechanical Starter switch is in good shape. You can get a king size voltage drop at the switch, losing current to the Starter motor.

Grounds, grounds, grounds. Make sure the Pos ground cable is clean and free of rust and corrosion.

Make sure the engine rolls over easily to make sure there isn't a problem inside the engine that's making the Starter drag.

If everything checks out, the Starter motor may need a rebuild. We offer rebuilding services if interested.

Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dick L View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2019 at 11:19am
Ground, ground, is something is misunderstood for many. The locking stud is the ground from the tractor frame to the starter. The slip fit into the hole in the torque tube bell is like a battery cable that is not tight.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic