This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Randomly Dies ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Randomly Dies ?
    Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 9:18am
So here's the skinny.

If I run my CA for over 20 min  it'll randomly die.  Usually I notice it when I bump it down to an idle but lately its been doing it during full throttle / operating speeds.

It runs like a champ, starts right up and purrs like a kitten,  but I'll throttle down and hop off to change implements and it'll kill after it idles for a 5 + minutes.  It doesn't do it all the time, which is I say it dies randomly.   I've been cutting hay with the sickle mower lately and it'll sputter on occasion when I'm going up hill (originally thought I was low on gas but that's not the case)  and sometimes it'll just instantly die while I'm cutting.  It always fires back up so I haven't really been to concerned, but boy if its not inconvenient.

as to why or what to start looking at ... I have no idea.  The fuel filter and gas tank are clean, and it runs great besides this issue  so I'm not thinking its a carb problem but then again, what do I know.

Any help or tips as to what to start looking at would be greatly appreciated.
WD , CA
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 12:02pm
Start by running a jumper wire from the battery to the ignition coil to eliminate the possibility of a bad key switch and wiring.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 4:22pm
What ignition system do you have? 
If you have a mag I would - after looking closely at the points and plugs although that is not usually the problem - look for a replacement condenser (cheap) or a replacement coil (more expensive)
If you have an ignition may want to look at the coil and condenser also or consider having SteveNJ switch it out for a newer ignition Petrox (?) system.
That is usually the problem you describe.
Good Luck!
Bill Long
Allen Dilg View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allen Dilg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2019 at 10:14pm
hello sgtj   Crud in top of the sediment bowl assy.    Coffee can  3/8 pipe plug 10 min time.   Remove sediment assy with coffee can to catch fuel inst pipe plug in tank, clean sediment bowl inlet reassemble .  PLEASE repost findings. 
Stan R View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 7:57am
Gas cap vented? Loosen it and run it to see if any changes. Slim chance, but easy to eliminate.
SGTJ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 9:46am
So -- form the top.

I have a mag, so i'll have to check the points and plugs this evening.

I don't have a sediment bowl (which may be the problem ? )  its straight piped from the tank to the carb.   Since I'm going to be tinkering with it tonight i'll pick up a sediment bowl and install it.

I keep the gas cap tight (lost it in the field once)  

thanks a ton and I'll keep you posted !
WD , CA
Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 3:25pm
Most AC depend on the gas cap vent to allow air into the tank to let gas out. If your replacement cap doesn't have a working vent it can cause your problem.

Gerald J.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2019 at 8:35pm
You mean there was no filter at all in the line?

Without the sediment bowl, you more than likely have teeny tiny bits of stuff in the carb.  That will need to be taken apart and cleaned.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
SGTJ View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SGTJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 12:50pm
I installed a inline filter on the line - still having issues.
WD , CA
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 4:33pm
YEs. the CRAP is already in the fuel bowl floating around... and sometimes gets into the main jet and plugs it up...
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

YEs. the CRAP is already in the fuel bowl floating around... and sometimes gets into the main jet and plugs it up...

x2. You need to pull the carburetor, disassemble it, then thoroughly clean all the jets and orifices with carb cleaner and compressed air. Good luck!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 7:44pm
My 8N was giving me the same issue till it died completely mowing the ditch. Little spot of rust plugged the main jet
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2019 at 8:32pm
Possibly a bit of rust or trash floating around in the gas tank periodically getting over the outlet.
Maximum use of available resources!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic