This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA Plow

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance/SC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA Plow
    Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 1:53pm
Has anyone heard of an Allis CA two disc mounted plow?  If so, what kind of terrain are they designed for or any other information that anyone may have.  I am in what's called the sand hills of South Carolina so it doesn't take much to tear the ground up. LOL
Sponsored Links

Murph-NC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Murph-NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 2:17pm
As I understand it, the disc plow should work well in your soil.  I'm sure others will let you know for sure.  We've got a three bottom disc plow for sale that was used on the WD.  And we sold a two bottom to BillP in Michigan last year.  I think I posted a link to one on CL near Charlotte, NC a few weeks back that had mounts for a B/C.  HTH
Dwayne TX View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dwayne TX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 2:24pm
I've got one, but I haven't tried it.  It's the pin-hitch version and  very heavy.  My Grandad used one in the 50's to build up terraces.  He said it would plow anything, including clay. 
BrettPhillips View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 7:09pm

Lance:

There were at least two types of disc plows available for the CA:  The first type is the semi-mounted 2-disc  that was manufactured by Athens Plow Co.. This is essentially the same 2-disc plow that was used on the B and C, but the mounting brackets are different and allow use of the traction booster system.  My parts manual only shows this plow as being available with the pin hitch.   Standard disc sizes could be either 24" or 26". 

There was also a fully mounted (pick-up type) 2-disc plow that was also made by Athens.  These were made in both Snap Coupler and pin hitch styles. Standard disc size was 26".  New discs for either of these plows were available through Agri-Supply as special order items the last time I checked, although you would need to specify the diameter, thickness, concavity, bolt size, and pattern. 

My 2-disc semi-mounted plow for my C has become a favorite plow to take to plow days when I don't know what kind of ground we will be plowing.  It rolls right over our plentiful Shenandoah Valley lime stone ledges, cuts 2" and 3" roots, and is very difficult to plug with stalks or other trash.  The worst part is getting it on and off of the trailer...  The best part is all the people with wide eyes saying "What's that big funny looking thing you're pulling with that little bitty tractor?"

Edited by BrettPhillips - 03 Jun 2010 at 7:11pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 7:46pm
Brett, show us some pictures. Or better yet a video of the C workin.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:15pm

Charlie:

I'm afraid my C ain't the most photogenic thing around.  I call it my mongrel pup, since it is painted with red and gray primer, as well as some orange here and there, with plenty of rust sprinkled in for good measure.  Now that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING on it has been rebuilt, I guess I really should paint it.  My trouble is that I did that once before, and it just ruined the tractor for me. I do wish I had some video of it cutting those big tree roots this spring.  We were plowing some ground that had been in no-till for a looong time, and the trees were about to take over.  Everyone who had spring trip moldboard plows spent a lot of time backing up, either to reset tripped bottoms or to unplug their plows, err... rakes.

BILLP-SE-MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:17pm
Here's my C & disc plow at Dale's OPPO show last year.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:18pm
Brett, Did the  plow trip spring work on your Plow?
DREAM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DREAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:25pm
So the C pulls the 2 disc plow pretty good? Maybe I'll look into one of those, just as soon as I get my 2-bottom plow home from PA.LOL!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:27pm

After my last post, I thought to check the club's web page in case there might be pictures posted.  Guess what!  Not one, but three pictures of the mongrel pup with the Athens 2-disc plow.  If you look carefully at the exhaust, you can tell that it was working pretty hard.  I am just about convinced that you could plow an asphalt road with one of these plows, provided that you have enough power and traction.

Edited by BrettPhillips - 03 Jun 2010 at 9:08pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrettPhillips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 8:36pm

Edit:  Pictures have been resized.  I apologize to Lance, as it appears that I may have hijacked his thread...  

BillP:  I haven't tried the plow trip spring yet.  As you can see in the pictures, I went ahead and used the plow without the spring.  These pictures were taken at the Shenandoah Valley Steam and Gas Engine Association's plow day on April 10th of this year.  In two of the pictures you can see that the photographer caught me playing "manual traction booster" with the hydraulic lift. I eventually found a depth setting that eliminated this problem.

Edited by BrettPhillips - 03 Jun 2010 at 9:09pm
CTuckerNWIL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CTuckerNWIL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 9:14pm
Good pictures Brett. I don't think Lance will mind much.
http://www.ae-ta.com
Lena 1935 WC12xxx, Willie 1951 CA6xx Dad bought new, 1954WD45 PS, 1960 D17 NF
heartlandcowboy View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heartlandcowboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2010 at 11:41pm
So, you could pull a two blade plow with a C allis? My wife (aka the boss) wants a garden out back of our new home and it just so happens im rebuilding a C allis.
Lance/SC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lance/SC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 5:37am
Brett, that is definitely no problem as I am looking for any information available.  The picture of the one I am thinking about looking at shows the lift arms attached which indicates it is either a pin hitch or snap couple.  It doesn't show the front part which would tell me but the gentleman that has it says it has the SC loop.  How about prices? What has anyone sold or bought these for?  Just trying to get a feel for what to offer.
Hartland Farm View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hartland Farm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 1:27pm
Brett, Here's something you may want to look at.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BILLP-SE-MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2010 at 6:45pm
Here's some more CA hitch parts pics out of my  disc plow Dealers part Manual.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic