This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bypass to full-flow filter conversion

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bypass to full-flow filter conversion
    Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 3:56pm

Would it be difficult to convert to a full-flow filter system on a WD/WD45 or any other Allis with bypass system? Besides a different filter base, what would need to be changed in the oiling system?

1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Sponsored Links

Gerald J. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerald J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 4:48pm
About half the plumbing and probably the oil pump. The bypass filter plumbing allows the oil pump to feed the oil galleries in the engine directly and it simply taps off with a T and the pressure regulator valve where the excess oil from the pressure regulator valve goes to the bypass filter and from there to the crankcase. In the full flow ALL the oil from the oil pump comes to the filter, then to the oil galleries where the pressure regulator bypasses excess oil to the crankcase. You probably need a higher pressure pump to allow for the pressure drop in the full flow filter and then you need a scheme so when the pressure regulator valve opens it doesn't dump all the oil to the crankcase which is what happens in the AC oiling system when there's not a lot of flow resistance in the bypass filter.

That conversion might be a good one for an external electric oil pump or one belt driven from the crankshaft outside (like Nascar) and the electric pump would let you build up oil pressure before cranking and extend the life of the crankshaft bearings.

Gerald J.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 6:00pm
Fairly easy to do when the engine is torn completely down and benefits are great.....engine actually stays cleaner inside.
Bill_MN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill_MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 6:16pm
thats what i was thinking if i do a rebuild sometime i would consider something like this
1951 WD #78283, 1918 Case 28x50 Thresher #76738, Case Centennial B 2x16 Plow
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 12:20am
I confirm what the DR said.I followed his prescription and now have full flow system on my 45.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 12:52am
Steve, could you put a picture of your full-flow system that you put on your WD45 so others can see how you did it?
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 9:02am
I too would like to know more
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Steve M C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve M C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 12:24am
I'll try to get some pics for you but it looks just like a late D17 on the outside because that's what I used.Took a full flow pump too because it has the relief in the pump.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic