This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Buying a chainsaw- opinions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Buying a chainsaw- opinions
    Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 6:29pm
Right now I have an electric chainsaw and a portable generator that I put in the back of my pickup. Takes care of most of the things I need a chainsaw for, but....have some fence rows on the other side of the creek, partially fallen trees in the woods, and other areas this combination doesn't work.

With Menards and their 11% off this week and it looks like Mills Fleet Farm will have 12% off next week thought it would be a good time to buy. 

Looking at a 14-18" bar and somewhere between $100.00-$170.00. As much as I would like a Stihl the price is a little out of my range for the amount of use it would get.

So looking for opinions on the brands that they both sell-
Craftsman, Poulan, PoulanPro, Jonsered, Troy-Bilt, Husqvarna, and maybe an Echo if it on sale.

Opinions on which one(s) is/are the best, or which ones to stay away from.
Sponsored Links

allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:04pm
I was going to recommend Stihl 461, would need to open your wallet a little more though. I would not recommend a used saw of any make. Only cheep ones I have ever bought were junk including Dolmar. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for in 2 strokes☹️
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:06pm
I have a Stihl, great machine you can't beat them, I also have a Poulan and in all honesty I can't say anything bad about it. They are both real dependable. I had at one time a craftsman, I believe I'd stay away from them.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:42pm
i've had good luck with my Echos. have had Homelites, Poulan, B&D, Skil, and (gasp) deere. the deere found an auction early in life. all the Homelites were o-k, but as they got older were a pain to start...lots of pulls. the Skil was an awesum saw, but they quit making them and were hard to find parts for. i still use the B&D's they are battery jobs. i had a tree fall one night, partly on the roadway, wally world was open 24/7, so i went out and bought a new Poulan for $99. had my Echos here, but all needed new chains. i cut the tree back away from the road enough, (0300 AM) and put the saw down, i traded it the next day for another new Echo. got all my money back plus on the Poulan, i sure didn't like that saw. it didn't cut as well as the other Echos i have. and i'll never buy another chain saw from a box store again either. i won a Husqvarna in a contest, it is a good saw, but be prepared to cut awhile cuz they don't run out of fuel like others do time wise, they cut along time on a tank full. whew! BIL has had 3 Craftsman's in the past 5 years, they keep blowing up on him. i'm thinking he's not mixing the gas/oil right or something, they really granade! Stihl was always to pricey for me, plus no dealers around close and local farm stores don't carry bars/chains/parts for them. never buy a used one, and NEVER lone your saw out to anyone! 
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:58pm
We had three stihl's at the farm.two went back to the dealer several times until the warranties ran out. Some fool swiped them we replace with a Poulan rides in the truck and nobody wants it. I have a 35 year old Poulan a 10 year old husquvarna and a 2 year old Chinese saw. Was cheep to buy starts easy runs good with no maintance. It's been a great saw other that the chains that came with it are junk. I still use the Poulan the most it's a top handle light saw with a 16" bar I can use it one handed. You do have to use the Poulan starting technic choke pull once hold the throttle full and pull again. Nurse the choke off. It's been like that since I bought it.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:13pm

Some 35 years ago, I bought a 12" Craftsman that cut an awful lot of wood with me and the boys,,, I never had to do anything to it except 3 or 4 new blades and chains. Great little saw and can be held in one hand. Then a few years after that Craftsman, I bought a Stihl 029 with a 14", Now that saw could tackle anything I wanted to. I still gots both of them but neither been used in 5 years tho,,,,,
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:27pm
I wouldn't be surprised if all the off brands you mentioned are made in the same factory.  I had a small Sears I bought for less then $100 new back in 1979 when we were in the logging business.  It only lasted a few days as the studs for the bar started pulling out of the housing.  Took it back and got my money back.  Just wanted a small saw to limb with.  It's hard to say who makes Sears these days, back in the old, old days, 50 plus years ago, Sears sold some pretty nice saws.  Two years ago I got a Stihl 160, I think, for around $160.  It is lighter then the standard Stihls but starts and cuts fairly well.  I have a HF cordless that I carry on the wood chipper, it works great cutting branches off so the limbs feed easier.  Runs about as long as the small Stihl on a charge/tank of gas, which is about as long as I want to run a saw anymore at one time!

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:30pm
Stay away from the big box stores, even if they are selling a saw with a respected brand name, it is a cheaper version of the real thing. Buy from a dealer that services what they sell even if you have to pay more for it. I prefer Stihl because there a a couple of good dealers nearby. You won't find a Stihl in a big box store. I have two 028's that have been super reliable and have also had a tough life.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:41pm
I have owned a variety of chainsaw makes. Started with a Homelite XL12 then McCullough 700 then Stihl 026 and 460. Now I have a Stihl 461 Echo CS 490 and 590. I also own a Husqvarna 120 TSC special that I am not impressed with. Overall the Stihl saws are good but expensive. So far the Echo saws have impressed me. Great saws for the money. I cut a lot of firewood every year for both myself and my son as we both have outdoor wood burners.I bought the Echo saws at Blain's Farm Supply but have seen them at Home Depot and Family Farm and Home stores.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:46pm
Echo advertises that all of their saws are professional saws. One item I do not like on the Stihl is the cam lock on the gas and bar and chain oil. Too many times I have had them come open and get my pants and chaps covered with gas or bar and chain oil. The Echo saws have screw in caps.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:00pm
No matter what you buy, either run the premade cans of fuel or HITEST gas/quality 2S oil and run it dry after use... Buy a couple plugs while you're buying the saw.

While premix is pricey, it's the correct ratio and FRESH. Actually cheaper in the long run as saw WILL start and run, every time.

Most (all ?) new saws have preset carbs...use once throw away($20) so having good ,clean fuel is very important.

I got rid of 4 saws last year,all 2 stroke jokes....like the electric..starts every time !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:33pm
I got an old Monkey Wards.  Looks exactly like a Mac.  I had a Mac back in the day and it always worked good for me.  I have a Stihl now and it hasn't let me down except the time I pushed it with the loader!  Broke both handles.  Got them cheap off of the net.  The store I bought it from suggested I buy a different bar and chain, it would make it more aggressive.  It sure did, throws some huge chips.  I think I only paid $199 for it, it's an 017 I think.  I don't think they are that much more now.  It's a 14" saw.  I've cut some trees down that I had to cut on both sides to get all the way thru, and it did the job!

Rural King is a big box store and they sell Stihl, but they are a dealer, so I don't know what their stuff is.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:52pm
I like my Echo chain saw.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 10:24pm
Dang jay, you would be amazed if and when you saw me mix that wally world 2 stroke stuff with the E 10, 87 gas.  LOL

My ancient little Stihl eats that stuff like candy.

HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 10:37pm
I bought a new Echo over 20 years ago. It has never failed to start even with ethonal gas. Its cut many many pickup loads of wood. Grandson cut a load of dead wood today. It still has the original spark plug. I'll be 71 in Dec. It'll last me the rest of my wood cutting days.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:31am
I use Pioneer saws. These are a Cdn brand that were made in Peterborough Ont. by Outboard Marine. My favourite saw. Have a dozen or so here. 5 in great working order and rest for parts. Haven’t been made now for 30 years. I like to keep the history going same as with our old tractors. I cut 10 bush cords a year and now help several neighbours as well. They all laughed at me initially but that stopped as soon as they figured out that I was cutting way more than they were. 😀
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:54am
If you have a reputable dealer close by, you might want to think of a reconditioned Stihl, Husqvarna or Jonsered saw. Our local New Holland / Massey Ferguson sells a lot of new saws. They are a very good dealer. I would buy a used saw from them.
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:55am
Words of the day: If saw won't run right, check/clean the spark arrestor screen.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 7:56am
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

..... One item I do not like on the Stihl is the cam lock on the gas and bar and chain oil. Too many times I have had them come open and get my pants and chaps covered with gas or bar and chain oil...

X2. 

I love me Stihl saw, but I do not like those quarter turn caps !
fleeter allis fan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fleeter allis fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 11:02am
Like Ed, I also have an old Pioneer, Model P26. It is pretty heavy, so I don't use it much anymore, but it still runs good. They were made between 1976 and 1981, so it is over 40 years old.
My main saw is a Stihl MS250. It has been a good saw and I am very happy with it, although I agree with the comments about the quarter turn gas and oil caps. If you don't get them on correctly, they come loose. 
I recently bought a little Echo CS-271T. It is one of those tiny, top handle jobs that is real light and great for trimming. Only has a 12" blade so you can't get into anything too big, but I really like it for limbing.
I don't think I would go for a cheap off-brand. I am at the point in life where I will pay a bit more and not have to worry about parts or service or warranty. My little Echo has a five year warranty. I doubt if you will find any other brand with five years.
I'm a man...and I can change...if I have to... I guess.
'44 B, '46 WF, '49 G, 810GT, 916H, 620
GeneD14 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneD14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:32pm
I bought my first Stihl in 1979 and I still use it. It's an 045 AV Super.
I also have two Stihl 361's and a Stihl 660. all great saws. For several years I cut a lot of wood because that's all we used for heat up in IN.
The new Stihl cam lock gas caps are stupid.
The Stihl chains are second to none.
I've had great luck with mine and only use Stihl Ultra synthetic 2 stroke oil.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:44pm
Guess I'll throw in 2 cents. Just like tractors, can't go wrong with Orange. Stihl, my saw of choice. Husky and Echo make good equipment too. In your 'price-range' I'd go to Mill's when the sale is on and see what they have. They sell Husky, not sure if they have Echo.

On the fuel issue, here's what I do. I buy stihl 2 stroke oil, it has stabilizer in it. I buy the high-grade, no ethanol from BP. Mix up 2&1/2 gallons at a time, never had any get skunky. If it ever got to smelling bad it would go in the GMC and I'd mix a fresh batch.

Had a Poulan Wood-Shark years ago, it was ok. I learned a lot about small two strokes with that thing. Gas had to be fresh.
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 2:22pm
You guys already know I’m partial to stihl but I wanted to point out the reason I recommended the 461. Years ago I cut a lot of wood. Had small saws for the most part starting out, 015, 028, 036, and a 036 pro. One day a guy handed me a 046 and before long I had one, then a 461, 066, 660, and a big 880. It was then I realized that big hp and long bars were much quicker and easier on my back. The light weight medium Hp saws are so much nicer to operate as you don’t need to spend all that time bent over. At 6’ 255 lbs, I generally grab the 660 w/28” or 461w/24” and have a good back when finished. Maybe I’m just getting lazy, but wanted to pass on. When the saws sit idle for long periods, I recommend fogging with “Marine fogger”, will save the crankcase seals from drying out.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 3:43pm
Video comparing all 3 Echo,Husqvarna and Stihl small saws.https://youtu.be/e7kIyIYUjQQ
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 5:17pm
I bought a Stihl 170 with a 16" bar back in May 2019 during an event called "Stihl dealer days" for around $150-$170. I think that is a yearly event so maybe if you can wait a few months perhaps that is and option.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 6:45pm
IMO, Menards could offer 50% off and I STILL would not buy a gasoline powered ANYTHING from them WinkWink !!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:08pm
Around here, the problem with buying a chainsaw, or anything that might need service for that matter, from the big chain stores is that most don't have in-house service. They tend to farm it out to whoever they can get to do their repair work and most of them take care of their own customers first.
Personally, I will pay more to buy from a local dealer for better service and their own parts department.
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

Words of the day: If saw won't run right, check/clean the spark arrestor screen.

Shhhhh! Don't tell them that. I have been able to buy a couple of used trimmers real cheap because of a clogged spark arrestor. Wink
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
iowallis View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iowallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by JTOOL JTOOL wrote:

I bought a Stihl 170 with a 16" bar back in May 2019 during an event called "Stihl dealer days" for around $150-$170. I think that is a yearly event so maybe if you can wait a few months perhaps that is and option.

I stopped at my local Stihl dealer to see what the lowest cost option for Stihl saws, $189.00 and the next option up was $209.00. I asked what the lowest price would be if I waited for something like "Stihl Dealer Days" and he wouldn't commit to saying a price and mentioned that it is usually for select saws, not the whole line. 

Now if I did open my wallet up a little more for the $189.00 saw would I be getting a "cheap" saw because it is the lowest priced Stihl and later regret it? Or spend a little less or the same amount and get a mid-level saw from another company and get a better saw?
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 11:36pm
iowallis,

So far, the saw has done all that I wanted. I doubt that it would hold up to actual logging though. LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic