This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

bush-hogging rates?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bush-hogging rates?
    Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:30pm
I've got to go see a couple of fields tomorrow to give a price on bush hogging for someone. They said that it is 30-35 acres of a hay field that was last cut 2 years ago. I have never been the kind of person good at giving pricing so I was wondering if I can get some ideas on some going rates. Price per acre I guess is what I'm looking for.  

I'll be using my D-14 with a 5 footer to do the work. I haven't seen the terrain yet but it can't be to terribly bad if they cut hay on it. It sure would be some well welcomed income for someone who is out of work.

Not sure if it makes a difference, but I'm located in Western/Central KY.

Thanks!
Just when I thought I was finishing my "honey-do-list", she turned the page!!!
Sponsored Links

cowkicker View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cowkicker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:38pm
A friend of mine gets $15/ac  for mowing CRP land,  he is also  in west central Ky!
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:56pm
If it hasn't been mowed for 2 years I'd price it by the hour.....you never know how tough it will be to cut.  I generally get in the range of 30-35 per acre with my 175D and JD MX8 mower (hourly rate of 75)...but can get down as low as $20 an acre on a big field that cuts easy....yesterday it took almost 4 hours to cut 3 acres, but that field was full of hidden stumps, rocks, piles of horse manure and 6' tall weeds. I charge $50 an hour for my 170D and 6' mower, so I would think your rate would be around $40 an hour with a 5 footer...maybe less since you might not have anything better to do :(
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 9:56pm
Wow, I'm not sure I would pull my tractor out of the barn for $15 an acre.
Eldon (WA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eldon (WA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:01pm
Brian I agree. Around here most want to charge $50 an acre to pay for their little 'botas and 5 ft mowers....
ALLIS EXPRESS!
This year:
OrangePowerGA View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OrangePowerGA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Brian G. NY Brian G. NY wrote:

Wow, I'm not sure I would pull my tractor out of the barn for $15 an acre.
That's what I was thinking.
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2010 at 10:19pm
Here is a link to Custom Rate/MO 2009

choose the pdf version - upper right

HTH

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 05 Oct 2010 at 10:22pm

Burgie View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burgie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 4:15am
I`ve been getting $35 per hour for the D15 or D14 with 6 footer. That way if it is rough and have to go slow if works out.
"Burgie"
Bob-Maine View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob-Maine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 8:05am
Jamie, I agree with Burgie. If possible,an hourly rate is fairest. I use my D-14 with a 5' bush hog but don't do a large enough field to compare what you will be doing. $35/hr gives you gas money, a little for wear and tear as well as an hourly wage. If you do $20/acre and it is slow going, you might be giving your time away. Just my $0.02 worth
Bob@allisdowneast
Ron Eggen View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron Eggen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 9:20am
Thanks Joe O !
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 9:34am
I think the only way someone would only charge $15/acre is if they were using an 18' batwing mower.  I'd go for $35-$40/hour using a 5' mower.  
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 10:37am
$65.00 per acre for a 930 Case with a 7 foot JD 709 HD bushhog in Eastern Virginia.
Brian G. NY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian G.  NY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 10:39am
I'm not sure the charge per acre should be any different whether its an 18' "batwing" or any of the smaller brush hogs when one considers the investment cost of the equipment.
Rawleigh View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rawleigh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 10:41am
Originally posted by Brian G.  NY Brian G. NY wrote:

I'm not sure the charge per acre should be any different whether its an 18' "batwing" or any of the smaller brush hogs when one considers the investment cost of the equipment.

I agree!!
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 5:50pm

Whenever I'm doing work with whatever equipment I have for someone I figure I've got to have a minimum of 50.00 an hour. Something had to buy the equip. and somethings got to fix it when it breaks. And thats still dirt cheap. If you do accasional work for people like I do, you could rack up a pretty hefty repair bill on a 100.00 job and not see enough work to pay for it for years to come. The only way it works out is if nothing goes wrong. Also distance to the job may effect pricing. Very far away I would charge a min say 5 acre charge so you can recover time and gas to get there and back.

My neighbor operates a company that clears right of ways for the power company. He charges 250/hr. If not he couldn't afford to buy new teeth for the chopper that are wearing done every second its on the job. And when it breaks (and it does) it cost thousands, never just a few hundred to fix.

So when somebody asks why you charge so much, ask them whos going to buy me that new 500.00 tire and tube when I run over something in the field that tears it up.

Russ SCPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Russ SCPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 6:28pm
$35/hour minimum,  the last rotary cutter work we did here was just a touch over $35/acre.   
just priced a 20.8RX38 Firestone, $1765   
my usual rule here for pricing custom work,  $1 per hour for each $1,000  NEW  replacement cost. 
The primary reason most cutom operators go out of business is under-charging. 
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 6:31pm
 I figure labor rate is minimum of $20.00 a hour for operator. So cost of equipment is next. If you can run your equipment for $10.00 a hour ? then charge $30. I figure my tractor is worth $35.00 a hour plus travel time. So looking at $55.00 minimum per hour.
 Mower should be worth $ something also . Travel time if on trailer would be $60.00 per hour both ways. Minimum charge would be 3 hours also. For 30 acres you will be there over that so no problem.

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 06 Oct 2010 at 6:32pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
mark-east-tn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark-east-tn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2010 at 7:45pm
In good ground I have been getting around 40 an hour for bush hoging and in ruff and steep places I get around 45 to 50 or do it by the job . Im in east tn were its full of rocks and steep ground. hope that helps,  rememer tires and bush hog parts arent cheap.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 9:38am

For a newer tractor it costs me about $.18 per pto hp per hour give or take if I rent a tractor, so these 200 hp tractor is around $35 an hour,  the 120-150 pto hp tractors run about $25 an hour.  I'll rent one in a pinch if we are short on the baleing or combine crews, the one I have now I'll buy a twin to it from the dealer and then they wipe the rent off.  When I go to trade one of the tractors it costs me roughly 40% of the rental rate per hour to trade tractor for tractor and then I can factor in the old tires vs the new tires on the new one and my costs per hour go down.

Put that in perspectiv for a 40 year old allis with 40 pto hp.

We still use some old Allis for some odd jobs, I don't need to be putting hours on the expensive tractors for some things, so all the sudden the little Allis is valueable to run, but in reality is't only a couple bucks an hour to run it.
wkpoor View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wkpoor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2010 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by wi50 wi50 wrote:

For a newer tractor it costs me about $.18 per pto hp per hour give or take if I rent a tractor, so these 200 hp tractor is around $35 an hour,  the 120-150 pto hp tractors run about $25 an hour.  I'll rent one in a pinch if we are short on the baleing or combine crews, the one I have now I'll buy a twin to it from the dealer and then they wipe the rent off.  When I go to trade one of the tractors it costs me roughly 40% of the rental rate per hour to trade tractor for tractor and then I can factor in the old tires vs the new tires on the new one and my costs per hour go down.

Put that in perspectiv for a 40 year old allis with 40 pto hp.

We still use some old Allis for some odd jobs, I don't need to be putting hours on the expensive tractors for some things, so all the sudden the little Allis is valueable to run, but in reality is't only a couple bucks an hour to run it.
I wonder if that cost per figures in breakdowns not related to normal wear and tear. For someone like me one all sh*t doesn't just ruin the day it could ruin the year. The tire example is the easiest and most likely thing to happen especially brush hogging. You can easily amoritze a tire that would normally last say 1500hrs. But if its a week old and the hog throws something at it putting a big ole slash in it, then what. Basically then you'll be brush hogging for free for quite awhile (if you have the work) to pay for it hoping all the time something else doesn't happen to break the bank.
Jamie (KY) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 7:58am
Thanks guys. I haven't looked at the land yet. It's very dry here so I'm going to wait until it rains before I even do it. We've had a couple of farmers loose tractors and combines due to machinery setting fire to bean fields and stuff. It just ain't worth sparking on a rock and burning down the field, tractor, bushhog, neighbors farm, etc...
NickT(Ky) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NickT(Ky) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 5:54pm
Jamie, here in central Ky, it's $75 an hour with the 15' bat wing. So the $35 an hour may be fair. 5' is 1/3 of 15' so $25 is 1/3 of $75...... How much ground can you cover in an hour?
Jamie (KY) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jamie (KY) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2010 at 8:03pm
I've never bush hogged a large enough field to know how long it takes per hour. This is actually the first bigger job that I may be doing. I've never done it for money before because it was just my place that was being cut. I have 3 1/4 acres and the majority of it is mowed with the ZTR mower.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic