This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bush Hog shear bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bush Hog shear bolt
    Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:08pm
I have a bush hog 5 ft rotary mower. I pull it with my D17 and WD. What do you recommend I put in for a shear bolt in the bush hog so I don't tear up the pto in my tractors? Grade 2 or Grade 5?
Thanks
Mike Townsley
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
Sponsored Links

steelwheelAcjim View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steelwheelAcjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:13pm
Grade 2. Assuming you have a smooth shaft yoke with a 1/2 inch shear bolt, and you don't have a slip clutch. You want the bolt to shear before the gearbox suffers damage. If you continue to shear bolts on a regular basis, you might be cutting too close to the ground causing scalping, or not allowing the cut trash to escape from under the mower. A harder bolt will delay shearing and cause potential gearbox damage. 

Edited by steelwheelAcjim - 29 Jul 2020 at 8:16pm
Pre-WW2 A-C tractors on steel wheels...because I'm too cheap to buy tires!
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:14pm
Mike what brand and model mower do you have?Bush hog brand was pretty good about building in safety devices from the factory whether it be a shear bolt or slip clutch.Some pics would help also to see what you have.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:16pm
Slip clutches need to be adjusted to the tractor HP to properly protect it.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:16pm
ACDave
It is a Bush Hog built one. I don't think it has a slip clutch. Just a shear bolt.
Thanks!
Mike
ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 8:19pm
I always got my shear bolts from my dealer when I had a shear bolt type mower.That way I knew I had what was supposed to be in there.Not sure what grade they were.

Edited by ac45dave - 29 Jul 2020 at 8:24pm
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:16pm
I was told use grade 5. Grade 5 will break clean, grade 2 will 'smear', making them hard to get put.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 10:20pm
Borrowed a guys brush hog and put it on a 170. He had put a grade 5 in and I twisted the telescoping PTO shaft. I took out several Grade 2's but didn't damage anything. When I bought my brush hog I spent the extra for the slip clutch. I loosen the clutch springs in the spring and make sure the disks aren't stuck then I'm good for the summer.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by Boss Man Boss Man wrote:

Borrowed a guys brush hog and put it on a 170. He had put a grade 5 in and I twisted the telescoping PTO shaft. I took out several Grade 2's but didn't damage anything. When I bought my brush hog I spent the extra for the slip clutch. I loosen the clutch springs in the spring and make sure the disks aren't stuck then I'm good for the summer.

Thanks!!
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2020 at 6:25pm
“ I loosen the clutch springs in the spring and make sure the disks aren't stuck then I'm good for the summer.”

That’s the best thing you can do with the slip clutch style!
Jim.ME View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jim.ME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 6:36am
I don't know what model you have, but here is a clip from one of their on line operator's manual.  Many of their manuals are on line, or you can contact them and I think they will provide older manuals if needed.

"SHEAR BOLT or SLIP CLUTCH DRIVELINE INSTALLATION Attach rear driveline of U-Joint to input shaft on gearbox, install snap ring in groove on input shaft. NOTE: Check that Snap Ring is properly seated in groove. This snap ring retains driveline when shear bolt shears. Install Grade 2 (only) shear bolt 1/2” x 3”. Use of a stronger shear bolt other than Grade 2, will result in driveline failure and will void warranty."  (Not that I think you are concerned with warranty.)
Rick of HopeIN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick of HopeIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 11:58am
Old Deere balers had the right idea, they used a small dia hardened bolt that would shear clean.  Also not much chance a farmer would find a harder bolt off the shelf to replace it.
1951 B, 1937 WC, 1957 D14, -- Thanks and God Bless
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic