This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a trailer,,,,

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a trailer,,,,
    Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:30am

OK,,I am thinkin bout modifyin the frame on an old single axle camping trailer to haul my new to me Polaris ATV so I don't have to use the heavy dual axle trailer. The dropped axle is now settin just about center on the frame but wheels come up in the frame and I want to stretch the axle to where the tires are outside the frame for more room on the trailer bed. Any suggestions,,?? And,,,and,,,I don't need any blowtorch ideas,,,,,, thank you very muchWink
Sponsored Links

Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:31am
Is it still a round tube axle?
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 11:28am
Remove the axle.  Using a larger pipe cutter, cut the axle in half at the center.  Cut a piece of pipe the length needed.  Using a welder  connect the pieces together.  The pipe cutter  cuts an angular cut into the metal.  This helps make for a stronger weld.  My friend used to do this often times when he was making trailers and needed to extend the axle.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 12:46pm
I cut the axle in the center with a sawzal.... then got a pipe  where the ID was the size of the axle OD.. slid the axle halves in about 6 inches and socket welded to the pipe... as wide as you want.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 1:32pm
I REALLY like Steve's idea. That'll be much much much stronger than a butt weld.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 1:41pm
To extend an axle, I also add an inner 'sleeve' of pipe, 2-3x the length of the additonal steel. I make sure it's all well clamped down and squre then weld....walk away until totally cooled down. Rechecked dimensions ,then add 2nd layer of weld.
For a single axle trailer ,the axle should be 60% from the front of the 'bed'.  Say the trailer's bed/floor/deck is 10 feet long, axle needs to be 6' from the front of the bed, Do NOT include the tongue length. I've made 25+ trailers this way and everyone loves how they 'pull down the road'. When welding spring mounts to the frame, again, measure a zillion times, get it SQUARE and true THEN weld

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I cut the axle in the center with a sawzal.... then got a pipeĀ  where the ID was the size of the axle OD.. slid the axle halves in about 6 inches and socket welded to the pipe... as wide as you want.

I did the same thing. Slid the outer tube over the axle about 18" on each end, then pug welded. Made the plug welds work to my advantage to set the toe-in. That was on my tandem axle gooseneck.
On smaller single axle trailer with square tube slid a piece of tube over that went from hub to hub.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:23am
go to TSC and buy the size you need.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:39am
gee Shameless, where's the fun in that ???
and some of us  aren't rollin in dough from the huge profits in farming that everyone talks about.

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 5:40am
If it's a trailer that isn't going to be towed a lot of miles, shortening the axle is fine. If it's going to get a lot of miles, you would do better buying an axle that is properly aligned. 

New axles aren't as expensive as you might think. I recently bought a new 7000 lb. axle (beam only, no springs, brakes, bearings or hubs) for my fifth wheel for about $230 delivered to my door. The old axle was out of alignment enough that it couldn't be aligned and it was wearing tires badly. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:54am
the 'trick' to modifying an axle is to have it FIRMLY jigged,weld, then walk away until 100% room temperature. That could take 1-2 hrs... THEN measure it  and it should be fine.
I've done this dozens of times, never had a bad one.
Jay

Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:44am
I've adjusted a few axles by cutting and slipping a tube over then welding. Biggest thing is to double check the alignment before welding. Just bought a new drop axle for my little trailer for under $200. Was out of alignment from factory. Had to cut the spindle loose and rotate a little then reweld.  
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 2:59am
is this th trailer you are gonna use to haul the chevy allis?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic