This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Building a Stroker Crank on YT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Building a Stroker Crank on YT
    Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 8:08pm

Not mine, but is this what they all look like while being made?

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=pulling&th=179012

'40 WC puller,'50 WD puller,'50 M puller '65 770 Ollie

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

I can explain it to you, BUT I cannot understand it for you!!
Sponsored Links

wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 8:27pm
Some get welded the other direction, meaning around the crankpin rather than across it as in those pictures.

But yes, they are not pretty during the process.

Some cranks will have a small pit left in the crankpin where the weld meets the parent material. Doesn't hurt anything. By welding a little further around the crankpin, those bottom welds are gone as it's offset ground in "deeper" during the offset grinding.

I'l give a little explanation of the process. Lots of welding, straightning, and more welding and straightnong involved. Typical on a 4 cyl they may weld 1, 2 or 3 crankpins. Straighten and then index off the original un welded crankpin and grind the welded ones oversize, say .100" from finished diameter. Then the last crankpin or crankpins are welded, straighten and index off one of the prior ground pins. Straighten again after roughing in and then ready for the final grind. Carbon plugs are used to fill the oil passage during welding.

My sd card isn't working on my phone so I can't take pics right now but when I get it fixed I'll post some pictures for you. I like to see some welding on the bottom of the crankpin blending it into the throw. It's extra work but most of the strength in the crank is in that area. By filling it and tapering it to the crankpin the crank is much stronger when done. In the first pic there you see that welding done so after roughing in they can taper the throw to the crankpin. It's more work but makes for a better product when done.

Edited by wi50 - 02 Mar 2013 at 8:34pm
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 6:06am

I guess just never seeing the process, it looked like Ray Charles was welding on it.  I'd like to see the finished product for sure.  

THanks for the info

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 6:12am
How do they stay straight??? Thats looks like a very rough process!
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 6:57am
There's prettier ways to do it.

They don't stay straight. They get straightened several times, after first welding before rough grinding. After second welding before rough grinding. That's why through the process the crankpins are roughtd in to say .100" over finished size. The crank will get bent straight before grinding but sometimes move around during the grinding also and get straightened again. Heating the crank will hrlp to "normalize" after welding.

The crank press and cold chisel are never far away. Each time the crank is straightened, it's placed on V blocks and beat or pressed straight with a dial indicator on the mains. That's also why the whole welding process isn't done at once, to keep say the rear and center main straight to refrence off from to straighten the front. Grind then do thr rear.
"see what happens when you have no practical experience doing something...... you end up playing with calculators and looking stupid on the internet"
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 7:06am
That's why it's about $200 per cylinder typically to weld and offset a crank. It really doesn't matter if they weld a little or a lot. The welding isn't that much work difference from a little welding to a lot, but the rest of it is the same. Then let it chung away offset in the grinder doing an interrupted cut and it's hard on grinder ways and stones compared to grinding concentric.

With the time and materials involved, welding and strokeing cranks is about the least profitable jobs for a machine shop. Don't complain about the price. Of they were reconditioning heads or boreing blocks they'd make 4x the money at the end of the day.

One thing I should add is that I say "index" off from a crankpin. Sometimes the stroke gets moved far enough that thr oil passage can be exposed on the bottom side of a crankpin. To avoide this, the welding is done to a different angle, or "clocked" differently on the crankpin meaning that rather thAn going straight "up" it may be moved to the side just a bit. Index, change rotation a bit and then grind.   Then grind other crankpins according to the first one.

The timeing marks on the crank gear will have no value once this is done.

Edited by wi50 - 03 Mar 2013 at 7:13am
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 8:36am
http://ytforums.ytmag.com/viewtopic.php?t=701577&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=stroker+crank

Also on YT and might help prevent a future outburst from the most quoted forum member and his storybook shop.
Mrgoodwrench View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mrgoodwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 8:42am
i've been waiting for the "keyboard commando" to tell us it is ugly because they used the wrong kind of welder

Edited by Mrgoodwrench - 03 Mar 2013 at 8:43am
There are 3 ways to do job GOOD, FAST, CHEAP. YOU MAY CHOOSE 2. If its FAST & CHEAP it won't be GOOD, if it's GOOD & CHEAP it won't be FAST, and if its GOOD & FAST it won't be CHEAP!!!!
Larry(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larry(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 8:50am
I didnt post this for all that BS........

*ALLIS EXPRESS contact*

Gary in da UP View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary in da UP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 9:20am
Not exactly on topic, but my question for Marty is,  is there ever a need to weld up the crank nose and install a harmoic balancer rather than using the stock front pulley? would this ease some stressess ,  or contribute anything to smoother rotation, better balance? thanks, Gary
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 9:36am
Of course it would help. But will it help enough at say 2000 rpm to be worth the effort? A dampner would help, but verry little.

I turned the nose down and cut a keyway on my cranks to run a fluid damper from a SBC for my high rpm Allis engines but never worry about it on a low speed stroker.

Not relevant to the topic much but look at just about all modern diesels have a damper. Ones modified to run high rpm run verry largr fluid dampers. Diesel ignition is brutal on crankshafts. Then look at the ones like in our alky superstock with counterweights added, less impact from the ignition and we don't have to run any damper at all, just drive pulleys for fuel and oil system and ignition trigger. Even a stock diesel will break the crank nose off if the dampner fails or is removed.

I used a JD 4450 for one of the bailers and the air cond belt went out, the damper had slid apart seperating at the rubber ring. I had to go in a hurry with the tractor so I idled it to the shop, cut the outer ring off and see. By 1800 rpm I thought the crank was going to come apart so needless to say I switched tractors for a day untill I had time to put a new dampner on.
AC200Puller View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC200Puller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 7:28pm
Excellent information guys! really enjoy reading these and trying to learn a few pointers. Keep up the good work!
cms View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 7:47pm
I never straighten a crankshaft cold it will create cracks and break. I always weld up the mains and grind straight and weld all rods to tie the weld meat and crank metal together.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 8:44pm
Just curious if you grind the mains undersize before welding them? I've heard various opinions on welding them. I've heard of some roughing the crankpins in undersize and then welding all the way around them before a final grid, but that seams like a lot more work for no reason, other than if the forging has some issues in the first place.

Some guys want heat on the crank, to straighten and I've heard some guys don't want to press them but cold hammer them.

I just had a Leroi crank done and that crank had some pits in the parent metal, no welding on the mains but grinding exposed some in the thrust surface as well as a few other areas so it took a bit of tig welding to fix. The forging just wasn't the nicest one.

What do you think of welding a crack in the front main of a 226 Allis crank where it meets the throw?   I've had a few of them cracked there and I just welded one for a low hp engine.......we'll see if it works out. Everyone I asked for more opinions said the same thing. It'll work.   A friend broke a MM crank in the front main, welded with a draw bolt through and never failed after that, it was one of those deals where there was to much in it to throw awayand he wasn't out much to try it.

Edited by wi50 - 04 Mar 2013 at 4:22am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 7:47am
submerged arc is alot better .gleason two wire welders the best .weld the mains grind them down to size a press will get them somewhat straight but the crank grinder gets them true . when putting a balancer on the snout the weight of the balancer and distance (raidus) can put alot of extra weight on the snout at rpm. I submitted the formula and said one should add it to their notebook back a few posts ago. A harmonic dampner if used should be as small a diameter as it can and the lightest possible. The reason they are cracking wi is your using a welding rod with to hard a rockwell rating . go to a 40 rockwell so the crank can flex and use the 56 rockwell on the journal itself.  Then balance the crank and the main caps well love you and stay in it without breaking from a crank thats trying to jump out of them from being imbalance.

Edited by mlpankey - 04 Mar 2013 at 7:52am
Glockhead SWMI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glockhead SWMI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:05am
here we go....
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:10am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

The reason they are cracking wi is your using a welding rod with to hard a rockwell rating . go to a 40 rockwell so the crank can flex and use the 56 rockwell on the journal itself.  Then balance the crank and the main caps well love you and stay in it without breaking from a crank thats trying to jump out of them from being imbalance.

I didn't know that bone stock take out cranks from a WD-45 were welded with to hard of wire from Allis?  Did any of you know that?.......

Mine have not been welded, just take out ones.  I've been unlucky and have had 3 cracked ones over the years on parts engines.  2 of them were junk, but I welded one to revive it for a restoration project.

As far as the broken MM crank example above, it broke in the front main when it suffered an impact from another (unrelated) failure.  Several cranks and crank cases had failed untill it got counterweighted and the problems dissapeared (immagine that)  Then it reved hard enough to make some other problems.
wi50 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wi50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:13am
Originally posted by Glockhead SWMI Glockhead SWMI wrote:

here we go....

Nah, he didn't have any idea what he was trying to talk about anyway... stock take out cranks with cracked front throw.  Same as anyone elses.

At least this week he doesn't claim to be a crank welder, have a Gleason.  Rod's link pretty well should keep the BS out.  There's more links from Speedtalk also where he uses a crank shop that has a bad reputation and went out of business......

Behave spankey and save the BS and the drama.

Edited by wi50 - 04 Mar 2013 at 8:16am
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:56am
they are the ones who taught me the ins and outs of crankshafts. Also his reputatio on his work was good but he was alot like you and lies . Well he just lies about turnaround time you on the other hand lie about everything that pertains to me.
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:58am
Now we also see why wi has been going through the deal to add counterweights by his own admission of having crank problems he is looking for answeres .
Ihateillinoisnazis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:11am
Spunky, for once I thought this was going to be a good post WITHOUT your drama. You don't know anything, you bring no added value to the forum, stfu and go elsewhere.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 10:14am
Originally posted by mlpankey mlpankey wrote:

Now we also see why wi has been going through the deal to add counterweights by his own admission of having crank problems he is looking for answeres .

Where did Wi say he had crank problems?? He said he REPAIRED a MM crank. The definition of repaired is: to fix or mend. Reading comprehension, try it sometime.
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 1:51pm

Panky its called sharing ideas !  not Looking for answers ?  in a (team) members share ideas to complete a task. TRY IT SOMETIME !!

Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
WildBill View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WildBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 1:52pm
LARRY GREAT POST AND GOOD TOPIC OF IDEAS .. THANKS
Allis fan for life !   B,C,2-WC'S,WD45G,D19G,190xt ,LLSS 8010, terra tiger refurbished
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 2:47pm
[QUOTE=WildBill]

<FONT style=": #000000">Panky its called sharing ideas !  not Looking for answers ?  in a (team) members share ideas to complete a task. TRY IT SOMETIME !!

[/QUOTEi shared info with allis team as why members crank is breaking] l
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 8:42pm
How would cracked core engine cranks have anything to do with someone's skills as an engine builder?

Why is pankey a crank expert when he's looking for someone to do his crank work for him after breaking a few? The timeline of events and his story do not add up. Lies never make sense.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22323&start=15
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 1:20pm
look at the date of post look at the date i posted last crank breaking . It is still flattering that you and wi follow  me on all the forums it is a good way for you two to pickup your knowledge in building engines but if one cant seam to find the finer details like dates of post i really think clearance and other fine points would blow right by them in a build also. if you look at yt pulling forum you will see where i purchased one of the shops in july of 11 i believe may be 12 either way post was july 2010

Edited by mlpankey - 05 Mar 2013 at 1:34pm
Rod B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 4:11pm
In this age of modern technology why don't you set up a video camera and make us a short condensed video of you welding and grinding crankshafts in your shop?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ihateillinoisnazis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Rod B Rod B wrote:

In this age of modern technology why don't you set up a video camera and make us a short condensed video of you welding and grinding crankshafts in your shop?

If his video skills are anything like his welding skills, or typing skills, or being able to remember last weeks lie..... Oh My. 
mlpankey View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mlpankey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2013 at 5:56pm
I have some video from the balancing class you guys missed. I will try to post them soon. I know some will be mad rhey didnt come to it and some will come just watching the video
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic