This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

briggs kohler engine oil

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: briggs kohler engine oil
    Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 12:07pm
vfdfireman that is what the machine shop told me about 4 years ago when i was picking up the engine block run 15w-40 in the gas tractors would be the best
Sponsored Links

VFDfireman View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VFDfireman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2015 at 7:58am
Originally posted by SteveM C/IL SteveM C/IL wrote:

Tbran posted recently that they had trouble with late model mower engines using "modern" automotive oils which are designed for latest emissions crap (these all use roller cams) and premature wear ensued in the valve train.The Briggs & Kohler brand oils still have the aintiwear additives. He also said that customers using "modern" full synthetic had not experienced same problems. Just food for thought.

For this reason I use 15w40 in my allis tractors and small engines. 15w40 still has enough of a base to it for older engines. I also usually have some left over from changing oil on my diesel pickup so its one less oil bottle on the shelf.

Edited by VFDfireman - 26 Apr 2015 at 7:58am
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2015 at 9:42am
alot of (30w non detrgent oil for compressors mainly  , gear boxs, ect.)  gets sold to people for there mowers all the time really takes them out fast   we do stock and use briggs oil 30w  and kohler 10w30 here on any engine that is new or still under warranty
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by HudCo HudCo wrote:

never use non detergant oil in anything that has combustion

Confused here! Does not EVERY engine have combustion??
Tankman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tankman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2015 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by ctbowles58 ctbowles58 wrote:

I use what the owners manual calls for, most of the time its 30w det. oil.

I do the same and change oil yearly, at least. Clean fuel and oil filters (if equipped), air cleaner w/ or w/o foam, all changed yearly.

I also use Berryman fuel additive, religiously. Good stuff, keeps my fuel systems clean.
http://www.berrymanproducts.com/products/gasoline/b-12-chemtool-carburetor-fuel-system-and-injector-cleaner/
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2015 at 10:04am
never use non detergant oil in anything that has combustion
SHAMELESS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHAMELESS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 9:54pm
really old engines...30 wt non detergent, medium old engines...30 wt detergent, new engines what ever manuel says! they differ in what the manuf says.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2015 at 1:20pm
Tbran posted recently that they had trouble with late model mower engines using "modern" automotive oils which are designed for latest emissions crap (these all use roller cams) and premature wear ensued in the valve train.The Briggs & Kohler brand oils still have the aintiwear additives. He also said that customers using "modern" full synthetic had not experienced same problems. Just food for thought.
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:09pm
summer time    sn/sm sj/cf 30w on the non oil filter engines      sn/sm 10w 30 0nthe presure lube or oil filter engines   this is what i was told once 30w desinged to let particals fall out multi visc. suposed to get the particals insuspension so it gets to the oil filter to be trapped
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 11:06pm
I tried 10W-30 in the B-110 last year. It didn't use any oil but then I don't put many hours on it. I am planning to use the tractor more this year so I went with Havoline 30 wt, figuring I will put enough hours on it to need to change it before winter gets here. If you go with a lighter oil be sure to check the oil often until you know how the machine will consume it.

Edited by ACmowerguy - 20 Apr 2015 at 11:07pm
10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
ctbowles58 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbowles58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2015 at 8:46pm
I use what the owners manual calls for, most of the time its 30w det. oil.
190XT 2WD45 WF D15 D14 CA BIG10 302 & 303 bailers 77G rake 80R mower 6 plows and alot more
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 8:27pm
I use a good 10 w 30 motor oil (automotive). You get the advantage of easy starting with a 10wt and  the 30wt hot viscosity is probably standard spec.  I don't use the synthetic. Prefer Mobil 5000.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tractorman View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tractorman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2015 at 8:15pm
I have several older allis and simp garden and lawn tractors with 10 to 20 horse engines, what is the best type of oil   to use ?    the brigs include  the old cast iron and newer and a Kohler vanguard . 
Play on 38 B 49 WF , working on D14, D15 B10, Bee 12 B110. use 185 and 190
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic