This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Breaker box puzzle

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY(OH/IN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breaker box puzzle
    Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 12:22am
I bought a repo 1976 modular home on land a few years ago and have been using it for storage (5 AC's). Vandals (thieves) snipped all the wiring they could get at out of the breaker box before I bought it. Spliced in wire to get some circuits on the left side of the panel so some lights and outlets work to use as a shop doing lighter work. Now I want to get the electric up and running to use as a place to stay at times.

Question: How do I determine what wire goes to which breaker. Is there a meter that can be used at a outlet or a baseboard heater and check the stub at the box for current? I'll be using a couple of splice boxes above the breaker box  with the push on connectors to neaten this mess up.

Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 6:00am
OK.. what I'd do....
1) disconnect BOTH black and white of ONE wire from the box connections
2) short them out(twist together lightly, clip, jumper them)
3) use meter on OHMS( best with beeper mode) and test every receptacle.

eventually you'll find one that beeps or show zero ohms. THAT'S IT !

This costs you nothing...
the 'pros' use a fox and hounds pair. It's a transmitter that you plug into the receptacle
and a probe that you use to locate which wire has the signal.

Whatever way you do it, WRITE IT DOWN !! Tape a copy onto the panel, store a copy in cutlery drawer, another in your shop,somewhere.......

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
bauerd44 View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bauerd44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 8:12am
Jay, what do you use to track down lights to find which breaker they belong to?  Is there some kind of screw in tester?

Dale 
Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club
CA Allis, 175 Allis, 185 Allis
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 8:30am
I would wire it up and let her rip.

Every time or if a breaker flips, i would then label the corresponding breaker.

I have a bunch of breakers in my box that are not labeled.  Confused

johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 8:59am
Generally outlets and lights run on 15 amp breakers. Identify all the lighting and outlet circuits and put them to the 15 amp breakers, doesn’t matter which one. Then anything that needs a bigger breaker, stove for instance, gets its own big breaker maybe 50 amp.
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
johnkc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnkc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 9:00am
I am assuming the breaker are marked with their AMPS
I support the development of hybrid automobiles and alternative fuels as I need DIESEL fuel for my ALLIS CHALMERS!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 9:55am
I'd say wire one 15 amp at a time and test with a meter until you find where those wires go. If you happen to wire the stove or the washer or dryer into a 15 amp the breaker will trip and you'll know those need higher amp breakers.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 10:48am
another problem is the Neutral on some of the circuits as they may have a parallel neutral (1 wire balancing 2 hots) .
 You can make a continuity checker using a buzzer of either low voltage and using a battery or 110 V using house current . 
 Any splices need to be a solid connection and in a enclosure that allows access to check and maintain the protection of the wires and splice. Also a spliced wire is counted as 2 wires when figuring the content or % fill of a box or enclosure - as they are governed by the NEC guidelines 

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 11:05am
AWG 14 wire to 15 amp breaker
AWG  12 wire to 20 amp breaker
AWG  10 wire to 30 amp breaker

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 11:10am
re: to check a light circuit

1) disconnect the main power !!

2) turn light 'on'( check bulb first...)

3)connect ohmmeter to neutral, use other lead probe the black wires. One will go zero ohms and buzzer will sound indicating that the light. turn light switch off to confirm.

Jay

chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 1:51pm
Might just hire an electrician, a fire or worse yet a death could result if you get something wrong. Cannot change either after the fact, better safe than sorry.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 1:59pm
good info there TMiller, I forgot to mention the wire size in relation to the amp of the breaker.

Chas, No pain no gain lol.  Wink

Edited by Dave H - 28 Dec 2018 at 2:00pm
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 2:15pm
Wink
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 3:04pm
Get someone to help you and use either walkies or cell phones to communicate.  Otherwise you will be walking all over the place and end up forgetting where you found what.  I borrowed one of the units Jay was talking about and between me and the wife it took about two hours to map out the breakers for the entire house, garage and basement.  The PO had very little labelled. 

Another thing I remember reading in the NEC was that lights are on 15A and receptacles are on 20A breakers . .. . supposed to be!!! 

Another thing to keep in mind is that there are usually more than one receptacle or light on each breaker, and they are usually grouped in one room or nearby adjoining rooms.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2018 at 3:32pm
lights and receptacles are NOT supposed to be on the same breaker. That way when the table saw trips the breaker  it WON'T get dark so you don't trip and 'get a nasty'!!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic