This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bread starter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bread starter
    Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:26am
After talking about cornbread I got to thinking about this old neighbor woman I used to have. I used to go help them with splitting wood and other chores and she would feed me well. Her name was Gracie. She made the best rolls and bread. She had a bread starter that was very old. She would pass it on to others that she liked but keep enough to keep it going. She treated it like a kid. I had much respect for her and her husband. I wish there were still people like that around. I was just reading about bread starter and how it gets better with age. My mom brought me some Amish bread for my birthday that reminded me of it.
Any of y’all ever have family bread starter or maybe a neighbor like Gracie?
Sponsored Links

JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:33am
Thad that was a big thing back in the 70's as I recall.  The bread had a sourdough taste to it but that may have been because the starter hadn't aged like you were saying.  Problem nowdays is people are too busy to fool with it, as I recall you had to make bread or rolls or something every week or so or it would get out of control or die or something.
Maximum use of available resources!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:57am
“Friendship Bread” we called it around here. Every batch you made you saved a pinch or two and give one to somebody to start their own. Boy, that’s been a while...

It is “sourdough “ bread by definition, the dough is working from the prior batch rather than activating new yeast. Just like sour mash whiskey, a portion of the prior batch seeds the new batch.
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:16am
I've heard it called Herman around here. I guess you could give it any name as, Colin Clive would have said "It's Alive" and Fred Gwynne's Munster character.
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:42pm
I agree with Tbone, we call it "Friendship Bread" around here too.  I've done it too, but the last time I forgot all about it and it went bad.  I don't eat that much bread anyway, so I don't miss it. Embarrassed

Er Ummm Thad,,,,,WHERE do you think you'll have time to do this??!!  You got toooo many irons in the fire as it is.  Home renovation, furniture redoing, garage renovation, working on Orange and keeping momma happy........ I'm tuckered out just typing this!! Confused

Yes, I had a neighbor gal just like that.  Her name was Eleanor and she baked stuff just about every day.  Five or six of those days it was cookies!!  Choc. Chips, Peanut butter, ginger snaps, Amish, lemon drops, pin wheels (ALL kinds of colors), just to name a few.  She was still doing it even after her hubby (Elwin) died and I don't know what she would have done with all that stuff if it weren't for me.  NOW I know where my big belly comes from!! LOL Wink  I have her Amish cookie recipe and I make them just about every year around Christmas.  They're NOT good for you, nothing but butter, lard and flour.  Um UM GOOD!!  She made this faux apple pie once and I swear.....but that's another story....

Now I'm getting hungry again,,,,,
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 2:55pm
dang....ya'll eat to good where yer from
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:07pm
Back in the 1950's I think every gal had a start sitting on a shelf above the stove or sitting on the west window will in the summer time. I remember mom/both grandmas having it. Bisckuts were sure good.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 7:03pm
Dang right I didn't get this size on that O'l junk from the store.My mom made bread at least once a week and rolls and pies. The cookie jar never got empty,generally 2 or 3 gal jars with that many different kinds of cookies. But the bread was always started fresh with new yeast. Generally speaking sourdough bread is the lowest on my list of bread, but that doesn't mean I wont eat some.

LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:38pm
Dad was a carpenter by trade, heavy construction, but, growing up in the '60's the economy was such that there was not much work, so mom took jobs cleaning hotel rooms and or waiting tables, and dad cooked (besides working on neighbor farm, helping local well driller, and doing small 'handyman' type jobs to bring in some income). Us kids were OK with that because mom, by her own admission was not much of a cook, and dad was. when dad was laid off we ate good, he baked almost every day, bread, cookies, cake. He got most of his recipe's from his mom, who cooked for a boys home. 'course, he had to scale them down, because grandma's recipes were for 50 people

Long suffering Mrs LouSWPA had a 'friendship' starter for bread for several years, but I think she finally killed it by accident. at least it has been quite some time since I have had any sour bread around here

Edited by LouSWPA - 09 Dec 2018 at 9:41pm
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:39pm
Today's yeast is not as good as it used to be. I don't have any luck with it. Sourdough is good now and then. thanks; ac fleet
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 6:21am
Originally posted by ac fleet ac fleet wrote:

Today's yeast is not as good as it used to be. I don't have any luck with it. Sourdough is good now and then. thanks; ac fleet

Ask questions, maybe someone here can help.
I use Fleischmann's yeast and buy it at Sam's club in 1lb. vacuum packed package. Store it in the freezer, it will keep for a long time past the expiration date. It is a lot cheaper than buying the little packets(about 1/2 oz. each). I have a 300D Hobart mixer and bake all of my bread, pecan cinnamon buns, pies, cakes, etc. I would post pictures but posting pictures on here is like pulling teeth, wish you could drag and drop or copy and paste. King Author flour has a good tutorial website to help with problems, also a hotline to call.
The bread starter(yeast) was used before commercial yeast came on the market. It was replenished with potato, or flour to keep it active and keep the volume. It would take on different flavors depending on your area and the organisms in the air.  

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 7:29am
yep back in the younger days we kept that stuff going when we lived in AK.

Think that was the hey day of the plug in bread maker also.
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2018 at 8:13am
Mmmm sourdough french bread. Not much on sweets for breakfast but that sum good stuff. Not many around keeping bread starter here anymore.
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
Ken in Texas View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken in Texas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2018 at 8:07pm
The only time we ever buy a loaf of store bought white bread is when my Wife Graycie makes a turkey stuffing.  Her recipe for stuffing calls for cubed light bread.  She saves the crusts back for making the best Bread Pudding ever.
Needless to say she bakes the best Sourdough Bread  from "Starter" she kept alive for seems like forever .  Hardly a day goes by without at least 2 bread pans of dough sitting under a towel in a warm place  to rise
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 5:00am
 Hey Ken,,I really like the fact that your wife is keepin the older customs alive and well for the next generations ,,,,,plus keepin you fed in good groceries real good,,,!!!!WinkWink
 HMMmmmm,,,since she bakes a lot,,,I'm bettin she has a killer recipe for breakfast bisketts,,,,???ClapClap UMmmm,,,you want my email,,,????Wink
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:03am
How about posting the recipe for that Bread Pudding
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:06am
It’s really sounding like I need to go stay with Ken and help with all the hog killin and such.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 8:42am
 Well,,Thad,,I expect ole Ken would LOVE some help trappin them dang hogs,,,and,,,and surely he'd give you some to take home when ya;ll are done,,,but  the way he talks bout all them good groceries,,,,you best have some wiggle room on your britches,,,else you be neddin to buy new ones,,,,,Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic