This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bought a truck today

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought a truck today
    Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 10:55pm
1988 GMC 16' flatbed, no hoist, 366 motor, straight 5 speed no 2 speed. Must have road gears in the rear end. Tilt front end looks like it actually makes the motor harder to work on than the usual hood style. Got ta look at it closer in the daylight tomorrow. 135000 miles on it, TL tires all around. Sounds like it needs a dist cap.
We are gonna use it to haul beehives/ pull skid loader trailer.
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2020 at 11:05pm
sounds like a good ole truck!
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:21am
Was that the auction find?
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 6:58am
Sounds about the same as my trailer toter. 1986 GMC C7000. 366, 5 speed, no 2 speed axle. Axle is 6:1 ratio. It will do 65 mph, but cranks pretty good. Tach doesn't work so just going by sound. Cruises nice at 55. Wish mine had the tilt hood. It a long ways to the spark plugs from the top.
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 9:48am
For that era I don't think you could have gotten a better model.  It sounds like a good solid hauler.   It's probably gonna be a real bouncer on the local roads but should ride great down the Eways.  I'm not sure if they have newer type suspension components for that size, but it might be worth looking in to.  You might want to also check for updated brake components.  Stopping quick is also a nice thing!  If you need to, you could also throw a plow on the front of it for some winter time fun.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 12:16pm
Pictures?
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 2:28pm
Tom, do you a Hummer Bee to load and unload hives? How many per pallet? Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:11pm
I thought that you were 'retiring' Tom?  Mom's got you busier than a (hehehe) bee in a bonnet!  LOL
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 7:33pm
Nice truck there, but that 366 likes the gas and the ones we had - were gas pedal was on the floor to keep up on the road
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2020 at 8:23pm
Not auction find. I've owned 4 others when I had the fuel business. If the dang Holley carb was right they would haul. No we do not have a Hummer bee. He has a small Hydro Mac skid loader and I have a large Hydro Mac loader both with forks on them. We are thinking of going to 100- 150 bee hives next summer.
Grandson wants to help. This dang thing has so much bracing under the hood, it actually makes it hard to get to the engine. Dang distributor looks like its almost impossible for an old fat guy to reach.   TL tires are Michlins and 5 years old. Old boy said he used it to haul lumber from central Nebraska to Omaha. The ignition switch was vandalized, its in the dash, gotta find the little metal ring that screws on and holds the switch in the dash. It don't come with a new switch. I still don't know how to post pictures. I gotta do the flea market in What Cheer Iowa this weekend. Last 1 for the year. After that, I might do a little sanding on the metal part of the bed and give it a shot of IHC type red. And check out some lights too.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 2:02am
red? RED? what's wrong with sum Allis orange? that would look great on there!
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:19am
I was thinking about painting the box original, but the truck cab is orange and white. Might sand the whole thing and redo the orange.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 8:22pm
Sounds like a good solid truck !
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:23pm
Tom, I wish you were closer to us. My son is an absolute whiz on Holley carbs. I remember how gassy they smelled, which translated into gas hogs. Anyway he takes the gas smell out of them, and gets the idle problem fixed. And they run really well. But that's a bygone era so now he builds automatic trans.     Leon
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:37am
Leon this is gonna have to be rebuilt or get a different carb. It's been over 30 years since I rebuilt 1. I haven't even looked for a kit. Will definatly need a power valve along with cap, rotor, wires etc. Hoping it comes back to me.
Walker View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 11:42am
The one I spent time in was governed at 62, bout the same thing but a 454 with a box.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 12:02pm
Get the ignition to a state does not Backfire, is DEATH on a Holley Power valve.  If HEI is simpler easier and BETTER to purchase a Complete Reman as rebuilding to the advance weights is more expensive.  If NOT HEI, better off going to HEI as is more dependable.

Holley number will be on Choke volute, right face as look at it, xxxx-x is usual alignment, I get kits thru the local Carquest for mine.  Ugliest issue anymore is the crap gas, sours in weeks, alcohol does not help, additives are mostly ethanol based.  Throttle shafts sloppy will leak vacuum, any outside source vac leaks drive the fuel flow as badly, INCORRECT PCV will antagonize the fuel flow(I prefer AC Brand for these).  Be certain no exhaust or intake leaks to cause a backfire as when it does will destroy the Power Valve diaphragm and run rich with stumble on accel.  I lean more to Non Governed aftermarket Edelbrock AFB carbs, VERY Dependable with good parts availability.
smokechaser View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smokechaser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 7:26pm
I'll second the Carter/Edelbrock AFB.  Picked up a NIB unit for cheap at an auction, it really helped out my 366.  If you can ditch all the smog crap and its accompanying vacumn leaks even better.  If you take up the transmission tunnel, that will give your best access to the distributer. My C70 is a 1988, 366, 5+2 with off road gears, former railroad truck.
A-C HD5G, HD3, I600, WD-45; IH 424, B414, B250, Cub; Oliver OC6; Clark R60; Bungartz T5; Ferguson TO-20; MH 44
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:41pm
Thank you, I did not know the tranny had a bolt on cover. Will get home on Sunday and pull it apart on tuesday. Will have new plugs and all the rest done by the end of the week. Thanks guys.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 6:42am
Tom,
 Congrats on the truck! We do need pictures! I need to look at my daughters hives. Would like some honey for this next weekend.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 8:12pm
Had a 74 C-65, air brakes, 366 4-barrel, 10- speed, air ride seat, and the whole 9 yards.  It was sluggish since new and was still that way when it went to the junkyard.
I put the first 500 miles on it when new, then many years later the township put it up for sale and I bought it and put many thousand miles on it again including the last 500. It then went to the junkyard when the starter went out and carb wouldnt work at all anymore.
It was a good truck, just no powerhouse or speed demon got me there and back all the time. Still love that cab style.
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2020 at 10:41pm
Grandson told me he would show me how to post pictures. No removable tranny hump on this one. The dang tilt front has so many braces running from the rad to the firewall is gonna make the plugs a nightmare to change. Son found the correct air filter for it, gots a HD breather on it. I did not know they had one.   Gots a Holley rebuild kit comming for it. Gonna try to try a 40.00 kit before we go with a $350.00 carb.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 10:14am
carb kit for mine was $149, + the guys time installing it and it took him 2 tries to get it set! ---they are a btch to work on and set internally. never did get mine to idle right even after 2 kits that he put in the thing.
IF you take it apart,--take your time putting it back together and be sure you understand how this brand works and needs to be set! lol!!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 10:18am
A simple trick for Holley's, VASELINE the gaskets prior to assembly, still seal just do not shred if have to replace a popped power valve and do not have much to scrape off if have to kit again.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic