This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blue Gasket Silicone

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blue Gasket Silicone
    Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 11:11pm
Is it resistant to gas?

I broke the fuel gauge on my mower where it goes in the tank.  I thought I would run a bead of that under the top and stick it in the tank.  If it ain't resistant to gas what can I use?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Sponsored Links

Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 5:53am
without experience in that arena and not having a grip on exactly your application, I would lean to JB Weld before the blue.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 5:59am
As long as it’s not submerged in gasoline you may ‘ get by’ with it.
You would have better luck with a product specifically made for constant contact with gasoline.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 6:22am
Interesting, I would have said yes it'll work but I looked and didn't realize oil resistance and gas resistance are 2 separate things.

From Permatex web sight John.

Can I use the Permatex® Ultra Blue® RTV to seal a gas gauge-sending unit to a gas tank?

Posted on: February 18th, 2016

No, Ultra Blue® is a silicone-based product, that will offer a good seal, and has good resistance to oil and coolant, however, silicones are not recommended for use in a gasoline environment. The gasoline will attack the product. Permatex® offers the solvent based Form-A-Gasket® products or MotoSeal® #29132 that are designed for applications in a gasoline environment.

"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:47am
I didn't know they made such a product.  THANKS Kansas!  I'm gonna have to get some of that.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:55am
That's a new one to me, too. Good piece of information to have. Thanks Kansas. Darrel
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:04am
Thank you for the help guys.  A wealth of information right here!

Picked some up and put it on.  Said it's supposed to be set in 20 minutes so I just left it alone and went and cut up a tree.  Next time I use it I'll check it out.

Edited by john(MI) - 29 Oct 2020 at 1:54pm
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:23am
The crazy part is that guy in 2016 had the same question as you John. I think in all my searches for answers I've never seen the exact question asked by someone else.LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

I didn't know they made such a product.  THANKS Kansas!  I'm gonna have to get some of that.

Yep first time I've ever heard of motoseal too.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:33pm
There is also a product called Seals-All that is gas resistant I've had decent luck with
allisrutledge View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisrutledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2020 at 8:39pm
I use instant gasket by loktite,
Allis Chalmers still exist in my mind and barns
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic