This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Blending and separating oils.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blending and separating oils.
    Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:41pm
Got a couple of thoughts in my head.

1. I got a SBC full of diesel, that I need to drain. You think if I let the contents settle (after draining), I can siphon the diesel off from the motor oil, good enough to use it in my torpedo heater?

2.. Same SBC if I want to try starting it, it had 10W30 in it, I have a case of 5W30 and a couple of gallons of 15W40, all non-synthetic, think I could combine the two?

1957 D17 Diesel w/ M&W Pistons
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:48pm
One question, What is SBC?  Small block chevvy?

1. I doubt it.  Likely it'll smoke you outta the shop!

2.  Maybe, never tried it, much, but some oil in a motor is better than no oil, in a motor...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:51pm
Yeah it locked up bad, I have an actual diesel block (379) to replace it now, but I had filled it with diesel to see if it would loosen up. It's been sitting a couple of years now.

Bummer. It takes a lot of diesel to fill a block, seems a shame to waste it.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 5:59pm
If it has been setting 2 years, drain off  6 quarts and see if it looks like "oil"... then drain the rest and see if it looks more like "diesel"....

How much diesel do you use in the burner ?.... Mix a gallon of the "used diesel" with two gallons of NEW DIESEL and it should work in the burner OK..... if the first 6 quarts drained look HEAVY, then scrap it.

Most conventional oils will mix and not seperate.. Combining 5 w 30  , 10w30 and 15w 40 should not be a problem...  You are running this as a TEST anyway... eventually it will be drained and refilled... no problem.

Edited by steve(ill) - 27 Oct 2020 at 6:03pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:32pm
See if I follow here;
You filled an engine crankcase with diesel fuel?
There was still motor oil in the crankcase when you filled it with diesel?
You want to try and separate the motor oil from the diesel?
Then you want to take that diesel that was in the crankcase and use in a heater?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:50am
use it for a brush pile
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:12am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

use it for a brush pile

How? And I mean this in all seriousness. We had a tornado during the summer, and I lost a couple of trees and a lot of branches. The D17 proved it's worth even managing to knock one of the high branches out, and hauling and stacking it all up (and yeah a neighbour came by with his Case and prettied it up) but I have no idea how to set a big pile burning safely. Use diesel?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:34am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

use it for a brush pile

That's what I do with fuel like that, down to about a gallon of fire starter now.
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:03am
I can see gas as a firestarter, but diesel?
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:09am
Diesel is safer to use as firestarter.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 9:25am
COke, NEVER use gasoline to start a fire.. The VAPORS will flash.... Pour old diesel over some small branches in your pile , or hand full of dry grass... You might use a couple sheets of news paper to get it to start.. The diesel will then light off...You can do this with waste oil also.

Edited by steve(ill) - 28 Oct 2020 at 9:26am
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Coke Coke wrote:

How? And I mean this in all seriousness. We had a tornado during the summer, and I lost a couple of trees and a lot of branches. The D17 proved it's worth even managing to knock one of the high branches out, and hauling and stacking it all up (and yeah a neighbour came by with his Case and prettied it up) but I have no idea how to set a big pile burning safely. Use diesel?

Make a campfire teepee at the edge of the pile with some newspaper under it.  Make sure it's not a windy day.  We are required to have a burn permit here for anything larger than a campfire.  We also need to call the fire dept to see if it's okay to burn, or go on their website to check.

Pour the diesel on the area you are going to start the fire.  Walk back to the barn to get the matches to start the fire.  Return to pile and start fire.  This allows the diesel to soak into the wood. I always put a back clade on the tractor and turn it around backwards.  When the fir starts getting small I push he edges of the pile into the middle.  You can usually get the bulk of the stuff burned up.

If these trees came down this year and were green, you may want to wait until spring to burn to let the stuff dry out a bit.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 1:08pm
Diesel in a hand pump sprayer will get it screaming in a hurry after initial start!! Fire will follow your spray. You can get enough heat from a large flare to really get things going.
Grayray View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grayray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 3:06pm
Don't ever use gasoline to start a fire.  It is way too dangerous.  The flash point of gasoline (point that it gives off combustible fumes) is -40 degrees F.  That means that the second that you pour the gas on the pile, it starts vaporizing and you don't know where those vapors are.  When you light it, it goes up very fast, almost explosively.

Diesel, heating fuel, and kerosene have flash points around 120 - 130 degrees F.  They need to be heated some before they give off combustible vapors.  This makes them light much more slowly and much more safely.  

Many years ago, as a volunteer firefighter, we had a case of a 16 year old high school student that tried to light a camp fire with gasoline.  He splashed some on his clothing without realizing it.  When he lit the fire, his cloths caught fire as well.  Without going into the nasty details, let's just say that he died a few hours later.  Not a pretty sight.

Please don't do this to yourself.

This may also help to understand the dangers:

[TUBE]BCXjlshi770[/TUBE]
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 8:44pm
I have used old gas to start a fire, BUT, I pour some on some pieces of wood and let them dry out overnight, then I light them with some newspaper.  BTW, I'm talking a small amount of gas, like a pint or so.  Smells so bad I doubt it has all that much energy in it anymore.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2020 at 10:06pm
i burn alot of green or just cut live branchs and  pile it up, i also use diesel in a hand pump sprayer, green brush has to be packed pretty tight, then wad up some paper under a safe exit area,  light the wad, spray some diesel there after it's lit, when the tree sap gets hot it'll burn on it's own, can spray more diesel around from the lit area to make it spread out and burn the pile faster. junk oil can be added to the diesel too. 
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:32am
Coke, use some of that diesel for a parts washer!!
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 9:15am
A buddy of mine, very safety conscious guy, in fact a safety coordinator by trade, knew of the dangers of using gasoline to start a fire, but had "nothing else" so decided to try it very carefully.

His pile of leaves/twigs was probably 40 or 50 feet away from his little shed. Gasoline stored on a head-high shelf in the shed. He got the gas, poured it on the leaves, and took the gas back to the shed and put it on the shelf. Very still day. He lit the fire and watched in slow motion horrific amazement as the leaves lit and then the fire took off toward the shed! It got to the point where he swung the can up to the shelf, I guess moving fast enough it finally swirled the air and dispersed it and the flame went out, just a couple of feet from the can still with gas in it and would have blown and took his whole shed down in flames. It's funny now, he wasn't laughing that day. Never again he says!!!
Coke View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 12:04pm
I think y'all might have been using too much gas. Ermm

I've never tried diesel, I've had people put out cigarettes in a pool of diesel (from my old car), I guess it's more of an accelerant than a starter the way y'all are talking about it.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 12:30pm
like mentioned, the diesel has to be 130 degrees to BURN... pour some on a news paper and light the paper... then it burns... your right, you NORMALLY cant hold a match to a can of diesel and have it light
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 2:42pm
I use it on my firewood for the first light of the year in the stove (diesel that is) even though you're not "supposed to" and I'm here to tell you, it does start one helluva fire. Throw a match in a pool of it, it will go out because there are no vapors. Let a match rest beside it for a bit to warm it up, it burns and burns hot in a hurry.

Amount of gas has nothing to do with it.

Honestly I can't believe we're having this conversation as adults! No offense meant, but holy cow!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 5:47pm
I’m surprised someone thinks motor oil, and diesel will not mix.
If I understand the OP correct.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic